Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rode in rain for an hour - sometime during that period the charging system quit. Called polaris customer service Monday morning and was given a case number and told that I would hear from resolutions department in from 3 - 5 business days. Already unacceptable, as far as I'm concerned.

It is now Friday and I called customer service back. They will let the resolutions department know that it has been 5 business days. Meanwhile I have a brand new Vintage with a grand total of 1400 km on it that I can't ride.

Polaris powers-that-be: If you're reading this, you really need to know that this is total b***sh** and my patience is wearing very thin. Send me to a shop that can test the regulator and stator. Not so difficult. Don't give me BS about going to my dealer, who is 800 miles away (and the closest Canadian dealer, by the way).

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hope you gvet it fixed but why would you think it would be any different than the Vic owners and getting help?

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
go to facebook find polaris and indian page and tell them

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry to hear about your troubles with your new Indian. The cruise control on my Victory use to stop working when I rode in the rain and my dealer told me that's just the way they work. Obviously your issue is much worse, but it seems like Polaris needs to get their act in gear.

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
18659 said:
Rode in rain for an hour - sometime during that period the charging system quit. Called polaris customer service Monday morning and was given a case number and told that I would hear from resolutions department in from 3 - 5 business days. Already unacceptable, as far as I'm concerned.

It is now Friday and I called customer service back. They will let the resolutions department know that it has been 5 business days. Meanwhile I have a brand new Vintage with a grand total of 1400 km on it that I can't ride.

Polaris powers-that-be: If you're reading this, you really need to know that this is total b***sh** and my patience is wearing very thin. Send me to a shop that can test the regulator and stator. Not so difficult. Don't give me BS about going to my dealer, who is 800 miles away (and the closest Canadian dealer, by the way).

Man, the sucks. I hope they reach out and help you asap. Please keep us posted on your progress.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So sorry to hear about the problem you're having,,,. This is the kind of situation that has me on the fence about buying an Indian at this point in time with so few dealers available. My nearest dealer is 300 miles away. That's still one heck of a haul for warranty work. 800 miles as with your location is terrible. Hope it all gets sorted out for you soon. Keep us posted,,,.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Customer service will make or break a company, every time. Hello Polaris !!!

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would find the problem myself or have a local mech help you find it.. I have been through this stuff with new bikes myself. Dont sit and wait for them. You will be so pissed off and burnt out on the buying experiance.. Life is way to short..

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dude, you are in an outpost. Check the main fuse first ($10 universal part same as harleys). Then, if you know what else needs to be tested, there's electrical expert everrywhere and whether it's a motorcycle system doesn't matter for the diagnosis. How did anyone ever survive 800 miles away from civilization to pioneer those expansive territories? They made decisions not to complain but to get it done! Quit complaining and get something done, is what I say. ALL YOU WHINEY COMPLAINERS REMIND ME OF SOMETHING BUT NOT MECHANICS, FIXERS, OR BIKERS!!!
I wish you all safe travels, and a nice day to ride. Shark

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
2773 said:
Dude, you are in an outpost. Check the main fuse first ($10 universal part same as harleys). Then, if you know what else needs to be tested, there's electrical expert everrywhere and whether it's a motorcycle system doesn't matter for the diagnosis. How did anyone ever survive 800 miles away from civilization to pioneer those expansive territories? They made decisions not to complain but to get it done! Quit complaining and get something done, is what I say. ALL YOU WHINEY COMPLAINERS REMIND ME OF SOMETHING BUT NOT MECHANICS, FIXERS, OR BIKERS!!!
I wish you all safe travels, and a nice day to ride. Shark
I repair about anything mechanically that needs to be done on anything I own or know people close by that do. But I would have to disagree with your 'suck it up' therory. Polaris needs to be made aware of any problems and at least authorize you to have it looked at by non Indian repair shop even if it's on you own dime. Otherwise how is Indian going to be acccountable for any problem. If you lost 3rd and 5th gear for instance, that would be a problem you may not even want to 'suck up'. Hopefully as Indian grows and adds dealerships they will also add authorized repair centers to help their loyal customers with any issues. And I would have to call the people that bought the first year Polaris Indian buyers 'loyal customers'. It's going to be a learning experience for them and hopefully Polaris.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
18659 said:

Not to make light of your situation I would be pissed too ' but '
We new Indian owners all knew the risk involved in buying a first year motorcycle.
I am luck enough to be mechanically inclined to the point that I have worked on many motorcycles over the years and rebuilt my Vic motor last winter in my garage, the only thing I need a Dealer for was to pick up my bike and tech support under warranty.

My point here is this could be as simple as a loose battery connection or a blown fuse.
Maby you could ask for some guidance here instead of throwing Polaris under the bus without even knowing what is wrong with your ride.

There are other forums out there also that may be able to help you get this sorted out faster than the Mothership but if you check the things we suggest maby you won't need to go to your Dealer at all.

I hope you get this sorted out soon.

spider.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Indian nneds to step up and get more dealers in Canada, I will be in a similar situation although I havn't taken delivery of my Chieftain yet, my closest dealer is in Montreal, which is about the same distance +- 800km from my home. Right now there are only 4 dealers in Canada, two in Alberta, one in Ontario, and one in Quebec, this leaves a lot of area uncovered, I would be happy with a dealer 2-3 hours away.... but its a 7 hour ride for me to get any work done at the Indian dealer. at the very least they need another dealer on the East coast and one on he West Coast. Vancouver and Halifax would make a lot of sense for east and west Coast dealers. Of course I knew this going in, and there is the possibility of getting warranty work done at a Victory dealer. but I'm hoping that Indian will see value in expanding the dealership network in canada as well as in USA.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Let me clarify a couple of things. I am well aware of the risks involved in buying a first year model. The warranty offered by Polaris did a lot to offset this risk. It is because of the warranty and the possibility of invalidating same that I decline to start tearing apart this bike.

Up to this point I have pulled every fuse and blown out every connection I could find on the bike as per the authorized mechanic in Toronto that I spoke with (he didn't have a shop manual, by the way, nor did my original dealer in Calgary). I pulled the regulator to check for any melting, smell, etc. I just spent $150 on oil and filters (including shipping) and don't really want to drop the oil so I can pull the side cover and check the stator. Again, if Polaris can authorize sending me to a shop to check this stuff out, it should fall under warranty, right? Why would I want to pay any more than I need to if warranty will cover it?

So my biggest issue is that I don't want to invalidate the warranty at this point. I need the cash to buy the parts I need to rebuild the 96 stroker out of my 02 Spirit. I don't think I'm throwing Polaris under the bus - why does it take 3 - 5 business days to make a decision at their end? I called Monday and it's now Saturday and I haven't heard squat from them.

And Shark - if you bought a $28,000 TV at a high-end electronics store and it quit after 2 weeks, would you completely tear it apart and then suck it up when the manufacturer said, 'sorry, no warranty'? When the store said they'd get back to you in 3 to 5 days and didn't bother, would you suck it up, or would you call them back after 5 days? When their response was, 'I'll tell the resolutions department that it's been 5 days', would that be entirely satisfactory? Even when they still didn't call back? Don't tell me to suck it up when you don't have the facts.

The only reason I posted this issue was in the hope that it might kick-start a response from Polaris. Thanks for keepin' it real, haters.

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey,

Isn't there a post in this Indian forum about a guy who had his Chieftain die completely, and he mentioned some kind of 'breaker' being the problem? I'm not a mechanic but could it mean a fuse holder, not the fuse itself? Maybe you can find his post on here and reach out to him???

Just a thought. I wish I could help you more, but not a wrencher. I'm interested and hoping you find out soon.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you anyway, 502, but I don't even need to read your post. Good to hear you did check a lot of stuff, but did you check the breaker? It can fail and discharge the battery slowly. I know, because I needed to become a '03 PP100 Chief expert; there wasn't anyone else around competent. Also, by chance in 2004 on a China business trip I met a man who knew of Stellican and mentioned their Chris Craft connection while I told my sad Indian story. He said his friends at Stellican would be interested in Indian, to which I was surprised as Indian was ruined and being sold off. Six weeks later, the Kings Mountain Indians were underway with the purchase of the Indian intellectual proprerty by Stellican. I was astonished and contacted Mr. Stephen Wright to inquire about a job, and received a polite note of thanks but we're good. So, been there like in a sea of Harleys at Daytona 2004 with a dead and previously misdiagnosed Indian. Happy trails and best of luck. Shark

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
18659 said:

I been saying for a long time that Polaris needs a major kick in the a$$. Customer service is lower than the worst out there. I don't understand why. If they really want to make waves In the motorcycle industry all they need to do is show some concern for the customer. But from what I have seen and experienced that is not the case.

There has to be someone at Polaris that has not been doing there job. In the past and still in the present..

You should have received a call back. With in the hr... They should have told you that they would speak to a Victory dealer and have your issue RESOLVED ASAP... Any parts needed would be air freighted the same day as the Vic mechanic orders them.

This type of service is what will bring Polaris positive advertising. Advertising that will swing even the most hard core Harley rider to Indian.. But I see it's the same old Polaris .... We got your money what more do you want??

I have been in the equipment service industry for almost 40 years. And I can tell you SERVICE SELLS more than any paid advertising...
I have said this before and I will keep saying it....... Hello hello are we alone ?? Is there anyone from Polaris really out there???

Edit...
Contact me Polaris I will show you massive increased sales. Service sells....

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As new Indian owners we are all aware of the risks of possible first model glitches and bugs; and we should all be aware of the distance to existing Indian dealerships for service.

If anything goes wrong with the bike or if you have questions, the first point of contact should always be your dealer. My understanding is that if your dealer is too far away, they can partner with the closest Victory dealer or work to find you another solution. But contacting them should always be your first step, rather than calling Polaris directly since the first thing they will ask is 'Did you contact your dealer?'.

Hope you get your problem fixed- it's always frustrating and disapointing when you have a breakdown like that.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yup, first point of contact was my dealer, who was closed that day. Next, customer service, who told me to call the dealer in Toronto. The very nice mechanic there suggested a couple of things, but really had no idea since he had no bike on the floor nor a service manual to look at.

As Rob pointed out, someone should have taken this on ASAP. I'm not pissed that the bike had an issue - I'd be surprised if there weren't a few gremlins along the way. The company's lack of response to date seems more like 'thanks for the cash, and don't let the door hit you on the way out'.

It may be as simple as a breaker, and believe me I'd be thrilled if it was, but perhaps someone who knows could tell me where I might find said breaker. I've pulled all the fuses and they look fine, but the labelling is a little ambiguous to someone who is electrically challenged.

If any of you feel the need to berate me for not immediately fixing this on my own, save your breath. I learned to drive a stick when I was 6, learned to ride a motorcycle when I was 9, and learned to fly a plane when I was 12. I've been able to do this all my life without being a journeyman mechanic. Yes, I have repaired and maintained bikes, cars, and planes to the best of my ability, but when it comes to messing with warranty or dealing with something that I have no knowledge of, I will gladly pay someone who is trained and authorized to deal with it. In this case, I really don't think I should be spending my time or money.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
18659 said:
If any of you feel the need to berate me for not immediately fixing this on my own, save your breath. I learned to drive a stick when I was 6, learned to ride a motorcycle when I was 9, and learned to fly a plane when I was 12. I've been able to do this all my life without being a journeyman mechanic. Yes, I have repaired and maintained bikes, cars, and planes to the best of my ability, but when it comes to messing with warranty or dealing with something that I have no knowledge of, I will gladly pay someone who is trained and authorized to deal with it. In this case, I really don't think I should be spending my time or money.
Very well said!

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
this is really not good P R for Polaris......sad state of affairs

1 - 20 of 132 Posts