Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
This won’t be a popular opinion, but I wouldn’t buy a bike, Indian or otherwise, if the dealer was 2.5hrs away. Modern bikes are overloaded with tech, including ABS systems, that necessitate near access to a dealer when things go wrong.

I previously had a BMW K1600, which is a great bike, but the dealer was over 100 miles away. Even with their excellent warranty service which includes trailering a broken bike to the nearest dealer, it was a pain in the butt. I ended up selling that bike and bought an Indian because the Indian dealer was 5 miles from my house.

Of course, that’s no excuse for the problematic electronics, but why go through that hassle? I would dump my Indian if the local dealer closed down (or was crap). Even if you are DIYer, there is much on the bike that cannot be fixed without access to their computer tools, and warranty service always requires access to the dealer.

As far as I’m concerned, that’s the hard reality we are faced with.
Although I see your point, the closest dealer is actually 40 min from my house. They are way overpriced in anything they do, the dealership looks like the place is falling apart and the general manager was less than honest when I dealt with them the first time.
The next dealership is 50-60 min away. A 500 mile service is $500 there and when you ask the service manager a question on your Challenger, the first time was Dec 2019, they want to know what year. When we explain that it's the first year there is then an argument that the 2020 is the second year.
The third dealership is an hour and fifteen away and is great on pricing, but they just acquired Indian, they were a BMW dealership, so their techs aren't great on problem bikes. Been there a few times and although I might do service there I wouldn't go there with an issue.
In the opposite direction an hour and a half away is a dealership that when the bike left me stranded, didn't really do much to help and apparently never filed any case about it.
Lastly is a dealership that knows the bike, has great techs, fair pricing but is 2.5 hours away. Which would you bring a problem bike to?

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
I’m saying none of the above. A few are crappy or disreputable, and the good one is too far away to be practical. That’s exactly my point. If those were my only choices, then I’d find a different brand / bike.

I love my Challenger, but I love my sanity more and value my time too much to screw around.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
So you would buy an inferior bike just so you didn't have to occasionally drive 2.5 hours? I mean lets face it, had this bike not been a lemon the only time I would have had to take it in was a 500 mile service and then every 5K. Plus, until I purchased an Indian, how would I know the problems with the different dealerships? You have the benefit of all the knowledge I gained AFTER I purchased the bike and ran into issues. That's a lot different then when I was looking at the bike and thought I had almost the same dealer footprint as my Harley.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
I don’t believe that every other motorcycle available is inferior, but YMMV.

Like I said, I would not want to have to deal with the hassle of a dealer that is hours away Bikes need occasional service. Things break and require support. It’s a fact of life.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
792 Posts
I think the root of the issue is when he first got the bike, he thought he had a larger dealer network available. It turns out the closer dealers weren't high enough quality so now he has to go farther to get proper service and that adds to aggravation.

Reactions: WIKD1

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I think the root of the issue is when he first got the bike, he thought he had a larger dealer network available. It turns out the closer dealers weren't high enough quality so now he has to go farther to get proper service and that adds to aggravation.
Exactly!!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
This won’t be a popular opinion, but I wouldn’t buy a bike, Indian or otherwise, if the dealer was 2.5hrs away. Modern bikes are overloaded with tech, including ABS systems, that necessitate near access to a dealer when things go wrong.

I previously had a BMW K1600, which is a great bike, but the dealer was over 100 miles away. Even with their excellent warranty service which includes trailering a broken bike to the nearest dealer, it was a pain in the butt. I ended up selling that bike and bought an Indian because the Indian dealer was 5 miles from my house.

Of course, that’s no excuse for the problematic electronics, but why go through that hassle? I would dump my Indian if the local dealer closed down (or was crap). Even if you are DIYer, there is much on the bike that cannot be fixed without access to their computer tools, and warranty service always requires access to the dealer.

As far as I’m concerned, that’s the hard reality we are faced with.
I agree with your perspective. If it is a machine (and loaded with electronics), it would need maintenance and support. Maybe there is an extra comfort, if you are mechanically skilled and fix/maintain the motorcycle. However, it is not worth the hassle, especially after spending the hard-earned money.

I consider, it also depends on the customer, the quality of the service provided by the dealer and the relationship with the dealer. Not sure why the OP is calling Indian customer care. It is in dealer's job description to be ethical and provide the necessary service....doesn't matter 5 or 500 miles away.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Not sure why the OP is calling Indian customer care. It is in dealer's job description to be ethical and provide the necessary service....doesn't matter 5 or 500 miles away.
Really? All the issues with the bike and you're "Not sure why the OP is calling Indian customer care"? That's both funny and sad.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Really? All the issues with the bike and you're "Not sure why the OP is calling Indian customer care"? That's both funny and sad.
Read my post in entirety versus chopping off some text. The next line reads - it is in dealer's job description and not customer's to sort out the issue with Indian.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Absolutely. And when they can't? I don't know about you but I'm not the "sit on my hands and hope they work it out" kind of guy.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Absolutely. And when they can't? I don't know about you but I'm not the "sit on my hands and hope they work it out" kind of guy.
The dealer is not representing themselves on this forum and hence, I do not know what they have or haven't done.

It is sad news if the customers has to sort the issues and dealer cannot. And, maybe a better due-diligence is required when selecting the dealer.

I'm exactly - "sit on my hands and let them do their job" because I evaluated the dealer, connect with their staff/mechanics and existing customers before selecting which dealer to go with.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I have no issue with the dealership it is at. I trust the service staff and know they are working on it. The bike itself is a problem child. The dealership is responsible for fixing the issue, Polaris is responsible for the product. I need compensation for the issues with the product, not the service I am getting from the dealership. And please save me the whole "I evaluated the dealership" horseshit as no one knows what they have to deal with until they do. This isn't my first ride or even my first model year bike. It's my fourth and this is the first one that's spent 3 months of it's first year in the service department. If I added up ALL the time the other 3 spent in service departments, ALL, they still wouldn't match the 3 months of just warranty issues this one has had.
Quit trying to lay this at the feet of the dealerships. yes I ran into a couple useless ones, but it's the product that is an issue. And the current dealership is Aces so why would I ***** to, or about, them?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have no issue with the dealership it is at. I trust the service staff and know they are working on it. The bike itself is a problem child. The dealership is responsible for fixing the issue, Polaris is responsible for the product. I need compensation for the issues with the product, not the service I am getting from the dealership. And please save me the whole "I evaluated the dealership" horseshit as no one knows what they have to deal with until they do. This isn't my first ride or even my first model year bike. It's my fourth and this is the first one that's spent 3 months of it's first year in the service department. If I added up ALL the time the other 3 spent in service departments, ALL, they still wouldn't match the 3 months of just warranty issues this one has had.
Quit trying to lay this at the feet of the dealerships. yes I ran into a couple useless ones, but it's the product that is an issue. And the current dealership is Aces so why would I * to, or about, them?
I think, you are confused about Indian, Polaris, Customer Service, Dealership, Product etc. Maybe narrow down what your issues are and who do you want to approach to resolve.

Further, now you have started separating dealer from the product, and for a want of compensation. Maybe make a list of what you actually want and try to find a resolution with the right stakeholder.

·
Silver member
4,201 Posts
I think, you are confused about Indian, Polaris, Customer Service, Dealership, Product etc. Maybe narrow down what your issues are and who do you want to approach to resolve.

Further, now you have started separating dealer from the product, and for a want of compensation. Maybe make a list of what you actually want and try to find a resolution with the right stakeholder.
Really? LOL... Seems that's what the OP has been doing, or attempting to do. This is not the 1st thread that the dealer and mother ship have those who's on first moments.

It seems pretty common for a thread or post to pop up where a member has an issue or issues with his Indian, a dealer, or Polaris, or all of the above. Indian drive trains seem to be pretty good but electrical and or computer issues seem to be right popular, as do ill trained or ill equipped mechanics. I've had my '15 Vintage to the dealer only one time (stage 2 cam install), and it wasn't a very good experience. Maybe due to having an ATV mechanic working on my bike? :rolleyes:

Hang in there @WIKD1 hope you get things straightened out (y)

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #35

I actually think you're just a troll. You obviously did not read the whole thread or YOU would not be confused on what it is about. I know exactly who I hold responsible for what I have been dealing with for over a year at this point. You are the one who stepped in and thought you could educate me. How about worrying about your world, and remove yourself from mine. In layman terms, keep scrolling.
As for contacting Polaris/Indian customer care, as it says at the top of the forum and repeated in this thread, they WANT you to contact them with issues and feedback. Educate yourself before you come into another persons thread and start spouting BS.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts