Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you probably read about this on Facebook, but for those that didn't and especially those looking into a Challenger, you should be aware. Not saying this should change anyone's mind, but you should have all the information to make an informed decision.
My bike has been in the shop for the past 2 weeks due to electrical issues. These issues, and more, started back in Dec 2019. At first I was told that none of the electrical issues could be addressed because they felt they would all be fixed by a ride command update coming in April. Meanwhile 1 by 1 all the rideability issues were addressed, by 3 different dealerships, until almost all have been resolved. I still have 1 minor one that the shop that now has it believes is addressed. Back to what has me frustrated today. Since April the bike has been in 2 different shops, multiple times, to have the issue it has now addressed. Each time something is repaired and everything is fine for a day or two. That is why I have no problem with the dealerships, they are actively trying to fix the issue. To get specific about todays complaint, I was called by the shop on Saturday and told they believed they had the diagnosis, it needed a whole new ride command and a GPS puck. All they were waiting for was the OK from Polaris, so I called customer care Saturday and left a message. On Monday my customer Care rep called and we spoke and she stated she would talk to everyone and call me back. Several hours later she called and said she spoke to the team in charge of my case and was told they gave authorization to replace the ride command and puck late Saturday afternoon. Well the shop was closed Monday, but I trust the shop and figured Tuesday morning they'd get the parts ordered, so this morning I called to get a time frame. I spoke with the counter guy, who must have been confused, as he stated a modem was ordered and he would need to speak to the shop manager about the puck, as he didn't see it. However both the modem (which I thought was the ride command but it's not) and the puck were on back order and would take about 30 days to get in. When added up, my bike has been in the shop strictly for warranty work, for over 60 days. And now you're telling me it'll be another 30 days to get the part? So way over 90 days in the shop since I bought it, but I'm still paying on it. Later this afternoon the shop manager called me and informed me that the bike didn't need a modem, and one wasn't ordered, and the parts that it did need had not been authorized. I told him of my conversation Monday with customer care and he double checked everything and no authorization to do anything has been granted. So the bikes been in the shop for 2 weeks, customer care says they gave authorization, but no authorization is given. And still my bike sits. And of course the person I need to speak to at Customer Care did not come in today.

So if you are contemplating buying an Indian Challenger know that most of them are trouble free, some of them have issues that are easily corrected, and then there are a few (from the contacts I've received today) that fit the description above.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Just for future reference, when there’s a major issue and the bike is in for warrantee work, demand a loaner.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
792 Posts
I'm really sorry to hear that and I hope they get the problem sorted quickly!

·
Registered
101 Posts
that does truly suck. Not sure about lemon laws in your area but definitely something to consider if they can't fix it soon. I went through a similar situation on my brand new BMW X5.. ultimately I forced them to buy it back for the full amount. It did go through HQ approval and stuff but I got my money back.

Do you mind if I ask what are the particular issues you are still experiencing? I read somewhere that the Ride Command's GPS function was not on par with other similar systems. Indian's version seems to lose its tracking ability to the point it becomes unreliable. Then there's the rebooting of said system.. some reported a loose negative battery connection as the cause. Sorry that you have to deal with this.. I agree, it is a hit or miss with purchasing a first year production model. But honestly, I have experienced similar issues with other bikes 3,4,5,years after their first model release. I no longer believe it that "first year issues" philosophy. If it's going to happen to you, it will happen regardless of what year or model it is.. just be patient but research your rights as a consumer as well. Good luck.. keep us posted.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that does truly suck. Not sure about lemon laws in your area but definitely something to consider if they can't fix it soon. I went through a similar situation on my brand new BMW X5.. ultimately I forced them to buy it back for the full amount. It did go through HQ approval and stuff but I got my money back.

Do you mind if I ask what are the particular issues you are still experiencing? I read somewhere that the Ride Command's GPS function was not on par with other similar systems. Indian's version seems to lose its tracking ability to the point it becomes unreliable. Then there's the rebooting of said system.. some reported a loose negative battery connection as the cause. Sorry that you have to deal with this.. I agree, it is a hit or miss with purchasing a first year production model. But honestly, I have experienced similar issues with other bikes 3,4,5,years after their first model release. I no longer believe it that "first year issues" philosophy. If it's going to happen to you, it will happen regardless of what year or model it is.. just be patient but research your rights as a consumer as well. Good luck.. keep us posted.
Pretty much what you listed, the GPS puck can't tell where I'm at, sometimes being off by an 1/8 mile. Also the radio has a loud screeching noise that plays through it, similar to pulling a needle across a record, and of course the auto dim/auto bright doesn't work.
The rideability issues have hopefully been fixed. The shop also discovered that when they add something into the computer, I guess it doesn't stay.

·
Registered
101 Posts
for the screeching noise from speakers, check a ground connection.. also check your belt tension.. someone posted a screeching noise and it turned out to be the drive belt rubbing/sliding off track.
The auto/dim has been complained about by many.. there recommendation is to turn off auto and just keep day mode. (unless you prefer night mode)

Hope you get them fixed.. but I bet it will require another Ride Command update, whenever another one comes out.

·
Administrator
12,780 Posts
Keep in mind that there is a sticky thread at the top of “general discussion” that has direct contact info for the mothership. We were told that Indian wants to hear your feedback.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sorry to heat about the issues. Hope it gets resolved sooner!

As someone stated above, ask for a loaner motorcycle. Also, I'm not sure about your issue but you can still ride the biker without Ride Command. Maybe just ride over to the dealer when they have authorization and parts, instead of leaving the bike there for extended period of time. Just my thought...

·
Rider
987 Posts
I don't see why you would need to get involved with custom care , your dealer should be handling that.
Really? With all the troubles he's experienced why wouldn't he contact Customer Care? That's exactly what the department is for! Also he wouldn't have been aware of the merry little dick-dance he's been led over the puck. Hope you finally get a happy resolution to your saga.

Reactions: Steve99

·
Registered
256 Posts
I agree with drod, have them buy it back from you and purchase a new one.

Years ago I had a brand new Dyna Glide with a problem the dealership nor the regional service manage could fix. I had a meeting with the dealership manager and he agreed to buy the Dyna Glide back for what I paid and sell me a new Softail. I may have lost some money in the long run but the manager gave me $1,500.00 in accessories and merchandise. It was a win for them selling a new unit and I had a brand new trouble free bike.

Good luck!

·
Silver member
4,201 Posts

As someone stated above, ask for a loaner motorcycle. Also, I'm not sure about your issue but you can still ride the biker without Ride Command. Maybe just ride over to the dealer when they have authorization and parts, instead of leaving the bike there for extended period of time. Just my thought...
I was thinking the same thing. But if the OP takes the bike back whilst waiting for parts, it might turn into one of those out'a sight out'a mind things at the dealer. Like Cameroni79 said, I'd tell them I want a loaner bike. Polaris needs to get their shit together.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
for the screeching noise from speakers, check a ground connection.. also check your belt tension.. someone posted a screeching noise and it turned out to be the drive belt rubbing/sliding off track.
The auto/dim has been complained about by many.. there recommendation is to turn off auto and just keep day mode. (unless you prefer night mode)
Hope you get them fixed.. but I bet it will require another Ride Command update, whenever another one comes out.
It's definitely coming from the radio speakers and is some issue with the ride command.

Keep in mind that there is a sticky thread at the top of “general discussion” that has direct contact info for the mothership. We were told that Indian wants to hear your feedback.
I have contacted them multiple times. So many times that I am on my 4th Custome Care rep, the other 3 left the company.

I don't see why you would need to get involved with custom care , your dealer should be handling that.
This response amazes me. The bike has been in the shop 62 days and the issues still aren't fixed, but I shouldn't call customer care????

The biggest issues are that at any given time none of the electronics will function correctly and the dealership is 2.5 hours away.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I wanted to update this post. First off, there seems like there was a little communication error between the Mother Ship (Polaris/Indian) and the dealership. Although the issues with the bike are as described, the response to the repairs appears to have been different then what I was led to believe yesterday, although it seems like it was a simple mistake. Although I am not happy with my bike being down as much as it has been, or will be, my Customer Care rep is doing everything in her power to try and make it right for me. Unfortunately they do not have the ability to give me a loaner bike as some have suggested, but I am satisfied now that they are doing whatever they can to help. Thank you for letting me vent yesterday to get some of my frustrations out.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Threaten lemon law proceedings.. Keep putting the pressure on. Continue to call both dealer and HQ.. Let them get the pressure from both ends. I would rather have them say I'm a constant PITA then be considered a nice guy that is patiently waiting till end of time to get it fixed. You have already used up the last few "yes, Ok, let me know" responses.. Time to get them thinking about you constantly. They have other bikes to work on.. people that are constantly calling them about the status of their 14" bar installation, Stage 2 kits, etc. And they get the attention, trust me..
Remember, the squeaky wheel is the one that gets the oil. I had an electrical problem with another bike a year or two ago.. brought it in after I've exhausted all other DIY possible fixes. I said I wouldn't leave until someone looked at it and took care of it.. I didn't care how long it would take. Told them I was hours away from home. Didn't care if they had to swap out the entire wiring harness. I was willing to wait. and I did wait.. over 4 hours.. They fixed it and sent me on my way. PITA I was... and proud of it!

·
Bronze member
1,355 Posts
Talk to the OWNER of the dealership....and ask him to put himself in YOUR shoes. The other thing I would have done is either TAPED your phone conversation with the CSR at the Mothership and/or had her memorialize your discussion with her in WRITING. I know....all water over the dam....but maybe some suggestions for the next innocent buyer/owner of a bike with prolonged problems. I'm at over 13,500 miles on my Challenger.....and not ONE issue, though I did have to make multiple adjustments to my clutch assembly to get it right. And I do once in a while get half of the night screen during the day on my Ride Command screen. I can live with that software blip as it has nothing to do with the mechanical performance of the bike. Chassis fault light, which I was getting early on are pretty much non-existent......for now. There are a LOT of electronics to our bikes......and sheit happens. I have to admit you have the patience of a saint. I would have burned the dealership down by now....with my bike inside.....and then asked the dealer to cut me an insurance check for a new bike. I hope that doesn't give you any ideas............:mad::cool::oops:

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've been seeing a similar disconnect between dealers and Customer Care.

A simple install of amp and speaker lids and the local dealer couldn't get sound out of both sides on my 2018 Springfield. After 2 months of in the shop / out of the shop I finally started a case. That let to moving the bike to a different dealer 3 hours away at Customer Care's suggestion.

2.5 weeks later no resolution. Pretty frustrating when Customer Care says the dealer wont update the case and the dealer says they haven't heard from Customer Care.

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
This won’t be a popular opinion, but I wouldn’t buy a bike, Indian or otherwise, if the dealer was 2.5hrs away. Modern bikes are overloaded with tech, including ABS systems, that necessitate near access to a dealer when things go wrong.

I previously had a BMW K1600, which is a great bike, but the dealer was over 100 miles away. Even with their excellent warranty service which includes trailering a broken bike to the nearest dealer, it was a pain in the butt. I ended up selling that bike and bought an Indian because the Indian dealer was 5 miles from my house.

Of course, that’s no excuse for the problematic electronics, but why go through that hassle? I would dump my Indian if the local dealer closed down (or was crap). Even if you are DIYer, there is much on the bike that cannot be fixed without access to their computer tools, and warranty service always requires access to the dealer.

As far as I’m concerned, that’s the hard reality we are faced with.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts