Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the form so fogive me if I should be listing in a different place. I am looking everywhere for a set of chrome rear highway bars for my 2000 Indian Chief any help finding a set would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Silver member
4,988 Posts
I don't even remember Gilroy making those until they came out with the 2003 Vintage model. Most guys ran Lindby front engine guards in that era. There weren't a lot of accessories made by the Gilroy factory until 2001. Basic seats, leather bags, some color variations in leather, and stuff like that. But the aftermarket had a lot of things that would fit since it based on a 97 HD soft but with a lower stance and a much more stretched out frame.

But I could be wrong. It's been many a season since I bought my Gilly and my old man brain is foggy. Let me check my parts books, brochures, and accessory manuals and get back to you....

This one is mine. Bought it brand new with 31 factory test miles. They used to ride them around Gilroy in the mushroom and garlic backroads. They weren't dyno testing in that era with the speedo unhooked. It was built and test rode prior to delivery...

·
Silver member
4,988 Posts
I am pretty sure I am correct. Here is your Y2K frame. As you can see there is a there is a connection point for your pivot tube, (2) for your fender, and one for your passenger pegs and no top mounting point for a crash guard on the frame. .

Not to mention those fenders were known to crack due to vibration, which was remedied with a kit you welded in to prevent it. That was kit # 2. The first kit was a heavier rubber isolator on the two lower fender mounting points.

·
Silver member
4,988 Posts
And your fender looks like this:

·
Silver member
4,988 Posts
On the 2003 Vintage they would add the rear crash bars. However, I always felt it was not designed correctly. One of the reasons that bike lost it's low slung swagger was to make sure they had the clearance they need on the twisties for that odd rear crash bar to clear. Notice how it goes under the exhaust. This was an after thought. I am sure of that. And notice those bags. The current Indian Vintage bikes basically that exact saddle bag shape, style, and color. Good job Gilroy on that one. I'm sure Rocky designed it...

·
Silver member
4,988 Posts
Okay, that's all I got for now. Time for another whiskey, LOL.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Pablo94 thanks for all the info. I have seen 2000 Gilroys with the rear highway bars wonder if they were custom hopefully someone makes them. I love that old school look they add.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts