Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading reviews from different Magazines,on the new Roadmaster , the one "con" is that there is a lot of heat to the right side of your leg and inner thigh. Has anyone who has purchased an Indian found this to be true? Up until a few years ago Harleys cooked your right inner thigh... Any insight would be helpful...

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
After reading reviews from different Magazines,on the new Roadmaster , the one "con" is that there is a lot of heat to the right side of your leg and inner thigh. Has anyone who has purchased an Indian found this to be true? Up until a few years ago Harleys cooked your right inner thigh... Any insight would be helpful...
The heat from my Chieftain is highest on the right side but is also pretty warm on the left side. I did find that adding highway pegs and getting into a decent riding position eliminated this issue. I did not find that to be true on my Road King. This is part of the game and I simply accept it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Not on fire, but it does get warm while riding my Vintage, similar to my old Harley. I'm not worried about it. As DrZ says, part of the game.

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
I wouldn't say "on fire" but it is an air cooled motor.
I had occasion to get caught in Houston cross town rush hour traffic in 90 degree temps.
For three hours I never got out of first gear...grueling.
Yes, the motor got hot but never once did it falter.

Harley has a temp control system that shuts down the rear cylinder in very hot conditions.
I've heard this and it is not a solution but a band aid. Coughing and sputtering.

The Road Master has lower fairings. I don't know for certain but would imagine that they would make the heat worse.
Most guys on Harleys remove the lower fairings during Summer here, for this very reason.

As long as you keep moving the heat is bearable on the Indian.
The motor stands up to the heat better than I did...let me just say that.
It is no worse than my Evo engine Road King was on a hot day.

Hope this helps shed some light.

The Indian is the best motorcycle I have ever owned, bar none, and I've been a Harley guy for the past 45 years.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The only time it gets hot is in stop 'n go traffic. But all my bikes got hot in that situation going back to my old 71 Honda 500-Four. Its never been unbearable...even my Chieftain never gets unbearable.

·
Super Moderator
4,909 Posts
"On Fire", not even. It does get hot, especially in city driving, but you have to remember you have a 1800cc air cooled gasoline engine in your crotch!!

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,115 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I appreciate all the insight. With my o3 Ultra if you were in traffic it would actually feel like a match was lit under your right thigh and feel like you were being burned. My 11 Ultra there is no more flame nor that much heat. But like you said when she gets to high temps it will cut the back cylinder out and sound like hell. This is definatley not a game changer. after a 7 mile demo all I know is you can put your hand on the valve cover without getting burned...Thanks again for your input..

·
Registered
65 Posts
I done 3 demo rides on the Roadmaster. temp was about 85 degrees. With the vents open on the lowers seemed fine. Sitting still at idle might get hot. Never had a bike run hotter than my 77 Grandpa-Glide. Got 2nd degree burns once on my leg OUCH!

·
Registered
130 Posts
compaired to my HD, the chieftain does not get as hot as the HD did

seems like the heat is more evenly distributed

·
Registered
132 Posts
It's kind of funny, I feel some pretty good heat coming from the back clutch side on my upper inner left calf. Especially when its as hot as it has been this past few weeks 90+ temps Stop and Go traffic just adds to it, Once your moving then it's fine, it's hot but not burning. I think in the winter it will be a blessing. When I go on an extended ride, over an hour, I wear my touring riding boots that really work well in cutting back the heat. This is my first Cruiser and the first bike I have ever experienced this kind of heat, I don't care, I love riding this Motorcycle! Love it!

I feel it is the best Motorcycle I have owned and ridden!

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Plenty of heat. I've added a heat shield under my saddle after a desert trip left my ass extremely warm throughout the trip. Heat shield has helped but not to the extent of eliminating the heat on my right thigh. Weakest part of the bike, in my opinion. It is certainly not for sifting through traffic.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Yes it gets warm, but it was 92 degrees today in stopped traffic, it's not just Indians that get warm, every other bike I own gets warm in those conditions, what did you expect ? Take the lowers off in the summer it's only 3 bolts and that's what I plan to do. I ride a Chieftain now, don't know what kind of deal I can swing to move up.

·
Registered
701 Posts
In directly answering your thread question, No. If is was, I wouldn't be writing here-I would be seeking medical advice!

·
Registered
419 Posts
I find it alot warmer than my triumph thunderbird, but that was a water cooled engine, however even riding through Sturgis traffic (slow hot and stop & go) it wasn't unbearable

·
Registered
180 Posts
I just checked and no.

It's a good point to bring up. The road master has those covers in front of the crash bar for additional storage. Below the glove boxes they also have a vent you can open to cool your legs for that very reason. They demonstrate it on the road master video.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The engine does get hot, its air cooled, that will happen. I got stuck in traffic in 95 degree temps for about 30 minutes, just creeping along no faster than 5mph at best. My engine started to smoke slightly, I was worried because I was only at about 400 miles, not broke in at all yet, and manual says don't do that! I figured that the smoke was the coating on the engine from the factory, I told the mechanic about it and he said he has heard of that happening and it is the coating on the engine. It will burn off completely in time. the engine never stuttered or seemed to have any problems. I did shut it off when I was just sitting there in traffic and it started right up with no problems at all when it was finally time to move (several times). I'm thinking things will cool down after a few thousand miles and a few oil changes. If I was on my old hd road king I would still be on the side of the road. I gotta say my Indian chief classic is the best bike I have ever owned, and I have had a lot of bikes.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts