Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 Chieftain Limited with a lot of engine buzz in the floor boards as the engine approaches 3000 RPM. I’ve tried just about ever suggestion forum members have suggested without success. The dealer says it’s normal though I know other 2018 Chieftain Limited owners don’t have this issue.

Has anyone had an issue like this and found the vibration went away after installing the 116 Big Bore Kit?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
2,251 Posts
Over the history of having my TS111 (since 2015) (aftermarket stage1, stage2, PCV, PVCX, 585 cams) I can confirm: engine buzz can be felt in floorboards sometimes.

Having said that I must say that I got rid of it once I learned more about tuning and that our TS111s despite having "auto retard on knock" do run differently (rougher) when timing is borderline advanced (or fuelling not optimized)!

So ... yes ... a 116 kit will have a different map from factory and most likely buzz differently (more or not at all). But a more sane approach to get a smooth running TS engine is to get a PVx from Fuel Moto including a ARTS from @CraigB1960 before doing the brute force 116 upgrade (just to get different combustions, smoothness not guaranteed!).

Sent from my SM-N976Q using Tapatalk

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,248 Posts
I don't see where putting bigger heavier pistons and connecting rods in an engine is going to make it smoother. The crankshaft is counter-weighted for the weight of the 111 pistons & rods so it would seem that more weight reciprocating up & down would shake more. Tuning probably has some influence on the vibration as well.

·
Bronze member
1,962 Posts
Any frame that uses the engine as a mount point is going to transmit vibrations. I rode a friends RM and at 70+ the mirrors vibrated enough that anything viewed in them was a blur.

·
Rider
550 Posts
I would go to a demo day or similar and verify that the vibration is not there, everybody feels things differently. I would second the suggestion of the PV3 once you have confirmed you have an actual issue.

·
Bronze member
3,435 Posts
Any frame that uses the engine as a mount point is going to transmit vibrations. I rode a friends RM and at 70+ the mirrors vibrated enough that anything viewed in them was a blur.
my Limited is the best bike I've ever owned for being able to see out of the mirrors...

Reactions: SJ12DS

·
Silver member
4,652 Posts
My 2016 Roadmaster with stage 3 cams and tune has very little to no vibration in the 2.8k to 3.2k range. In fact, little to no vibration at all RPM. I was riding the other day after replacing the true dual header I was using to develop tunes with and put my Jackpot Header back on. I immediately enjoyed the restored mid-range torque and it had noticeable less vibration...hardly none at all.

A well tuned engine will balance cylinders and reduce vibration as will the right pick with components.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had a 2017 Springfield and that engine was a smooth as silk at any RPM. It seems that some 111s have the buzz and some do not. I’ve also noticed this on the YouTube reviews.

Hope he doesn’t mind me using his name but texasvet has the same issue with his bike. He’s worked with GraigB using custom tunes and it still hasn’t found a solution to the buzz.

I started this thread hoping to find another solution other than buying a different bike. Even installing the 116 kit is cheaper than trading in my bike and buying another but at the same time I don’t want to throw money away.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
I got a PVCX when I bought the bike and the Fuel Moto tune still had some vibes at about 2800 rpm, although I felt it most if my toes were touching the highway bars. When I started logging runs and working with CraigB's tuning equations it got progressively smoother as the tune improved.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Try backing off the nuts on the floorboards at little so that they will move up and down, read that somewhere and it seemed to help. My 116 is not as vibration free as other bikes I have but it has little vibration in the floorboards and the mirrors are always dead steady.

·
Rider
550 Posts
I had a buddy that added highway bars to his ride and it it added so much vibration he took them off, put them back on, had to take them back off! In my younger days I had an '86 Evo that vibrated a little more then average. I took a lot of girls for rides but this one petite girl almost canceled all the vibration. The Hottie is gone but I still have the now Custom HD.
As Craig b. said exhaust, tuning and lots of other factors effect vibration intensity and where RPM wise it happens!
POKER1.jpg
POKER1.jpg

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Try backing off the nuts on the floorboards at little so that they will move up and down, read that somewhere and it seemed to help. My 116 is not as vibration free as other bikes I have but it has little vibration in the floorboards and the mirrors are always dead steady.
Tried it but it didn’t help.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had a buddy that added highway bars to his ride and it it added so much vibration he took them off, put them back on, had to take them back off! In my younger days I had an '86 Evo that vibrated a little more then average. I took a lot of girls for rides but this one petite girl almost canceled all the vibration. The Hottie is gone but I still have the now Custom HD.
As Craig b. said exhaust, tuning and lots of other factors effect vibration intensity and where RPM wise it happens!
View attachment 575011 View attachment 575011
Tried that as well....

·
Rider
985 Posts
I've got some vibration but nothing I would call annoying or overboard for a big V-twin. We are talking up to and past 100mph. Have you checked all the fasteners are tight? i.e. engine, frame, steering head bearings, anything else that can loosen over time? Axles are tight?
Belt adjusted properly? Last Service done? I am not saying you are neglecting maintenance. Things happen even when maintenance is done. Who did your last service? Reputable dealer tech or a ham fisted newbie?

·
Rider
1,072 Posts
My 2016 Roadmaster with stage 3 cams and tune has very little to no vibration in the 2.8k to 3.2k range. In fact, little to no vibration at all RPM. I was riding the other day after replacing the true dual header I was using to develop tunes with and put my Jackpot Header back on. I immediately enjoyed the restored mid-range torque and it had noticeable less vibration...hardly none at all.

A well tuned engine will balance cylinders and reduce vibration as will the right pick with components.
I can attest to what you said about installing the right components, and highly optimized tunes, my 2016 has almost no noticeable vibration at any speed, it's remarkable. You know more than anyone how many choices I went through before choosing my exhaust system! ;)

·
Registered
371 Posts
I would take a good look at both tires and have them rebalanced. Check the seating of the bead and make sure they are even all the way around the rim.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've got some vibration but nothing I would call annoying or overboard for a big V-twin. We are talking up to and past 100mph. Have you checked all the fasteners are tight? i.e. engine, frame, steering head bearings, anything else that can loosen over time? Axles are tight?
Belt adjusted properly? Last Service done? I am not saying you are neglecting maintenance. Things happen even when maintenance is done. Who did your last service? Reputable dealer tech or a ham fisted newbie?
I like what you are saying.

My bike had the vibration right off of the showroom floor. I took it back to the dealer and they said it was normal. At 3,000 RPM it’s like my feet are sitting on vibrators. I can see it is the mirrors too, especially the right mirror and can feel it in the seat. I tried adjusting the bolts on the floor boards and asked the dealer to check the torque on the engine guard. I had my 5,000 mile service done a couple months ago.

It’s a high frequency buzz that goes away the moment I let off the throttle and pull in the clutch so I don’t think it wheel balance.

·
Rider
985 Posts
I like what you are saying.

My bike had the vibration right off of the showroom floor. I took it back to the dealer and they said it was normal. At 3,000 RPM it’s like my feet are sitting on vibrators. I can see it is the mirrors too, especially the right mirror and can feel it in the seat. I tried adjusting the bolts on the floor boards and asked the dealer to check the torque on the engine guard. I had my 5,000 mile service done a couple months ago.

It’s a high frequency buzz that goes away the moment I let off the throttle and pull in the clutch so I don’t think it wheel balance.

Gotcha. Does the bike vibrate excessively just idling or if you rev it up in neutral?

Personally, if it is severe vibration and not normal and your dealer is telling you it is normal then it might be time to get a second opinion from another dealer or even Polaris themselves. Have you tried calling Polaris? They have done well by me for the small issues I have had. I don't think they want to lose a customer over excessive vibration. I wonder if the clutch was adjusted properly at the 5k service?

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Gotcha. Does the bike vibrate excessively just idling or if you rev it up in neutral?

Personally, if it is severe vibration and not normal and your dealer is telling you it is normal then it might be time to get a second opinion from another dealer or even Polaris themselves. Have you tried calling Polaris? They have done well by me for the small issues I have had. I don't think they want to lose a customer over excessive vibration. I wonder if the clutch was adjusted properly at the 5k service?
The bike had the vibration from day 1.

Part of the problem is for me it’s excessive but for others on this forum vibration with a V-Twin is normal. I just enjoyed the smoothness of the 111 I had in my 2017 Springfield and was looking forward to the same but with a fairing mounted bike.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts