Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter HERE for September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched around, if the topic was already discussed somewhere, apologies.....

Obviously both bikes are manufactured 2016, however different dealers have that 2017 date in their marketing material.

Conjecture - they are identical bikes?

Anyone have a definitive answer on...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Colors and price.

Reactions: DTyndale

·
Registered
2016 Chief Vintage
502 Posts
I have a '17. Yes, two additional colors for sure. However, there are a couple very minor differences in the display panel.

1. There is a light that indicates the side stand (kick stand) is down. See the S with the red and white circles around it. Why they felt that was necessary, I don't know.

2. The cruise control indicator is a speedometer icon at the bottom of the screen. The '16 were like the Chiefs in that they had an indicator light for the cruise control being "on" and another indicator light for the cruise control being "set" (or engaged). Both those lights are gone on the '17. This photo shows the cruise control "on" but not "set" (engaged). If it were engaged, there would be an arrow protruding outward at the 10 o'clock position on the icon - similar to what newer cars have.

If there are other changes, I am unaware of them.
Speedometer Auto part Gauge Measuring instrument Odometer

Reactions: DTyndale

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a '17. Yes, two additional colors for sure. However, there are a couple very minor differences in the display panel.

1. There is a light that indicates the side stand (kick stand) is down. See the S with the red and white circles around it. Why they felt that was necessary, I don't know.

2. The cruise control indicator is an icon at the bottom of the screen. The '16 were like the Chiefs in that they had an indicator light for the cruise control being "on" and another indicator light for the cruise control being "set" (or engaged). Both those lights are gone on the '17. This photo shows the cruise control "on" but not "set" (engaged). If it were engaged, there would be an arrow protruding outward at the 10 o'clock position on the icon - similar to what newer cars have.

View attachment 144585
Thanks One-Up. I am in a good negotiating position to trade in/upgrade with end of the year and salesmen want to get it done before the calendar year.
I didn't think the production line had time to really tweak anything to much between the release of the Springfield in March/April (?) or so
I would think that later in 2017, probably more color options, maybe a tan seat, who knows. I think the bike is fundamentally as close to perfect as I can get.

I am after a red one, 2016 I believe.
Wish me luck as will get something done by this Friday :)

·
Registered
2016 Chief Vintage
502 Posts
Thanks One-Up. I am in a good negotiating position to trade in/upgrade with end of the year and salesmen want to get it done before the calendar year.
I didn't think the production line had time to really tweak anything to much between the release of the Springfield in March/April (?) or so
I would think that later in 2017, probably more color options, maybe a tan seat, who knows. I think the bike is fundamentally as close to perfect as I can get.

I really like mine, but sometimes when I see a red one I think, "man, I like that red". Anyway, good luck in getting yours. You should be able to get a good price on a '16.

·
Founding member
2,421 Posts
View attachment 144585
This was likely added because the bike is designed so it won't start while in gear with the kickstand down. Lots of riders forget this (or didn't realize it) and have called dealer complaining their bike won't start. But I'm guessing half of these will now call wondering why there is an "S" lit up on their display ...

·
Registered
52 Posts
When I was on the search for the SF after i narrowed it down to that model. i was going for a two tone 2017, however I could not negotiate a good deal (for me) with the two dealers in my area. I reconsidered a 2016 Red SF w/ the current trade incentives & found a good deal on a brand new one out of state. When it came down to it, I would have been happy with any color Springfield as long as the price was right because there was virtually no difference between the 16 and 17 other than the introduction of the two tone colors.

·
Banned
5,341 Posts
Colors ..................but if you like this years color, get it. Vice versa. Who know? Indian might go back to a one color scheme next year. Paint costs money, you know............

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In my pursuit to buy one this week, one of the sales guys says "there is a stop-loss on production now because the fuel line is too close to the motor"
Not familiar with that issue, perhaps others are.

Regardless, still in pursuit of the 2016 Red....like my Scout

·
Registered
112 Posts
In my pursuit to buy one this week, one of the sales guys says "there is a stop-loss on production now because the fuel line is too close to the motor"

Perhaps he was referring to the recall that came out yesterday. Indian Motorcycle Issues Recall | RideApart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
871 Posts

You just cant beat that Indian Red....A gorgeous color.

·
Banned
2,858 Posts

2. The cruise control indicator is a speedometer icon at the bottom of the screen. The '16 were like the Chiefs in that they had an indicator light for the cruise control being "on" and another indicator light for the cruise control being "set" (or engaged). Both those lights are gone on the '17. This photo shows the cruise control "on" but not "set" (engaged). If it were engaged, there would be an arrow protruding outward at the 10 o'clock position on the icon - similar to what newer cars have.

View attachment 144585
My 16 has the same cruise indicator as the one in your pic.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

I bought it, still in the crate.....

However I cannot pickup until they do the recall fix, which needs special tool for Fuel Bracket Recall

Reactions: Ghagar

·
Founding member
2,421 Posts
A little patience is in order ... Indian just made the notification to the NHTSA last week and the confirmation back from them is dated two days ago (dealers and owners would not be notified until the NHTSA accepted the recommended action). It will likely take a few weeks to get letters out to everyone and they'll probably hold off until they have quantities of the repair parts out to dealers.

One owner with a Polaris connection mentioned that all bikes produced during the affected time frame would be checked and a safety bracket installed (~30 minutes service time) and any bike with a worn line would have the fuel line replaced (an additional 30 minutes service time).

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
DTyndale! Welcome to the Springfield Club. This is like riding a luxury locomotive in comparison to the Scout. You are going to love it.
Thank you Lute....I remember also when you traded your Scout in for a nice red one also.
I am thinking you also have zero buyers remorse :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.