Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to verify that my bike still has its Stage 1 tune after the dealership did my gear position sensor recall?

I absolutely don't trust my dealer and told them I will never step foot in their dealership again. Took my bike in for the recall, got a call it's ready so went to pick it up. Started the bike and there was an obvious exhaust leak. They rolled it back in and the tech proceeded to go through what he had "supposedly" taken off and he specifically said the head pipe was not removed. I have a x-pipe, so I really think they would have to at least loosen the bolts to remove the x-pipe for access to where they needed. They initially thought it was the connection between the head pipe and x-pipe so the tech checked tightness and it was fine. Tech proceeded to shrug his shoulders and just walk away like it wasn't his problem. Frustrated, I told the other service person I would just tear it down and figure it out when I got home since their tech didn't want to do the job right. Got home and proceeded to investigate and found the head bolt nuts about ready to fall off they were so loose. This tells me that his "I didn't remove the head pipe" statement was a complete LIE.

With all those shenanigans, I don't trust that they made sure my Stage 1 tune remained intact after the recall service software changes were applied. At least I've seen stories on here of other peoples being deleted. The fact that the bike had an very obvious exhaust leak tells me they didn't even start the bike up and test drive after service was done. Proceeded to call service manager to give him a piece of my mind as this is the 3rd time I've had to do some type of rework after they service my bike. Three strikes your out.

Anyway, back to my original question. Is there a way I can verify my Stage 1 is applied through the Ride Command somehow?

·
168 Posts
I think you would have to take it to another dealership and have them hook it up to the computer to see what tune is there.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I am sorry to hear that about the dealership. There are many very well-regarded Indian dealerships around. Dealerships like this Kim the entire brand a bad name

·
Bronze member
1,245 Posts
After having my recall done they had to flash the ECM which is a pretty good indicator that it may or may not remain. Without a tuner it would be very difficult to determine what tune is currently installed If your bike runs good I’m not sure I would worry much but I would go and have it checked at a different dealership.

·
Rider
1,591 Posts
Hell he might not have even changed the part or re-flashed the unit. I would be having a serious coming to Jesus talk with the dealership manager and or owner (me personally). I would have someone else look at it. If you have an X-Pipe did someone else tune it, I would think you would have a tuner and or remote tune, was it out on a dyno?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hell he might not have even changed the part or re-flashed the unit. I would be having a serious coming to Jesus talk with the dealership manager and or owner (me personally). I would have someone else look at it. If you have an X-Pipe did someone else tune it, I would think you would have a tuner and or remote tune, was it out on a dyno?
I only had the Stage 1 done after I installed the x-pipe and air cleaner. It ran great and cooled it down a lot. Seems like it is hot again like it has no tune and is lean.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,233 Posts
Stage One isn't much of a tune as it's still EPA compliant. You'll need a custom tune to download to a PVCX device. Fuel Moto is one of the sources.

·
Bronze member
4,155 Posts
Is there a way to verify that my bike still has its Stage 1 tune after the dealership did my gear position sensor recall?

I absolutely don't trust my dealer and told them I will never step foot in their dealership again. Took my bike in for the recall, got a call it's ready so went to pick it up. Started the bike and there was an obvious exhaust leak. They rolled it back in and the tech proceeded to go through what he had "supposedly" taken off and he specifically said the head pipe was not removed. I have a x-pipe, so I really think they would have to at least loosen the bolts to remove the x-pipe for access to where they needed. They initially thought it was the connection between the head pipe and x-pipe so the tech checked tightness and it was fine. Tech proceeded to shrug his shoulders and just walk away like it wasn't his problem. Frustrated, I told the other service person I would just tear it down and figure it out when I got home since their tech didn't want to do the job right. Got home and proceeded to investigate and found the head bolt nuts about ready to fall off they were so loose. This tells me that his "I didn't remove the head pipe" statement was a complete LIE.

With all those shenanigans, I don't trust that they made sure my Stage 1 tune remained intact after the recall service software changes were applied. At least I've seen stories on here of other peoples being deleted. The fact that the bike had an very obvious exhaust leak tells me they didn't even start the bike up and test drive after service was done. Proceeded to call service manager to give him a piece of my mind as this is the 3rd time I've had to do some type of rework after they service my bike. Three strikes your out.

Anyway, back to my original question. Is there a way I can verify my Stage 1 is applied through the Ride Command somehow?

Stage 1 factory tunes aren't going to be erased. The tunes being erased you speak of are tunes that were done aftermarket by the PV3/.PVCX units. When digital wrench is connected, it checks to see if the bike has the current calibration (version of that existing factory tune) if the tune is current, nothing happens. If the tune in digital wrench is a newer version, then the bike gets that version.

The gear position recall has the VCM (Vehicle Control Unit) software updated for the new version of the switch. The ECU (engine control Unit) software is not updated unless it is a older version than what is currently available.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Stage 1 factory tunes aren't going to be erased. The tunes being erased you speak of are tunes that were done aftermarket by the PV3/.PVCX units. When digital wrench is connected, it checks to see if the bike has the current calibration (version of that existing factory tune) if the tune is current, nothing happens. If the tune in digital wrench is a newer version, then the bike gets that version.

The gear position recall has the VCM (Vehicle Control Unit) software updated for the new version of the switch. The ECU (engine control Unit) software is not updated unless it is a older version than what is currently available.
My 2018 RM Elite (purchased 3/18) had the recall update and my Fuelmoto stage2 flash wouldn't work properly even though I had reflashed back to factory original prior to Dealer work. . Fuelmoto has a new flash available that was compatible. So according to what you say, there has been an update since early 2018/late 2017.

·
Bronze member
3,432 Posts
what they've found (Fuelmoto) is that the new flash changes the checksum... so your old devise is just not recognizing the bike as it's own... and yes Fuelmoto has since fixed that... but I think you still have to have to go through the whole process from the start again..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts