Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some background...my previous bike was a 2010 Limited. Stage 1 only, but had VH true duals and Rinehart 4" slip-ons and CFR slip-ons at one time. I loved the CFR's ( sounded more like a muscle car rumble than "potato potato") but cruising they were almost too loud...so switched to Rinehart 4" and it was still loud but not as bad cruising. Fast forward to now...I have a 2018 CDH and while I dont have true duals, I have the X-pipe and Rinehart as well as St2, but the bike isnt as loud. Yes, at idle, it has a sexy lope but cruising, it just quiets down to a deep rumble, which admittedly I like, but wish it was the same deep rumble, just a little louder. Are the Rineharts for HD different internally than the Indian versions? Is there something different about the valve train on a HD or head design that makes it louder? My riding buddy has a 17 Roadglide with the VH X-pipe and Screaming Eagle slip-ons and his bike drowns mine out sitting side by side. I dont really want to buy new slip-ons but just curious if there was some mechanical or simple reason.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Being mechanically disinclined, not sure I can provide a correct answer. I have a Harley Dyna, VH 2-1, Arlen Ness Monster Sucker, Rocket Cam, and Dynojet Target Tune. It’s quite loud and at idle feels like a mini earthquake.

So why would it be louder than an Indian? Well two kinda sorta educated guesses, although I could be completely wrong. First, according to my mechanic, before the M8 anyway, Harley timed their V Twins not to move in synchronicity but for the cylinders to lope on top of each other. In other words, the movement is the equivalent of sounding more like a heartbeat (thudup) than synchronized thumping, if that makes sense. The result is more vibration and that distinctive Harley rumble.

Second, there are so many aftermarket parts for Harleys that you can make your bike as loud as you want given the right combination. Thus, the motorcycle world has had lots of time to figure out how to make Harleys louder. Not so much with Indian, as the aftermarket is still in its infancy. Point being, I can’t say a stock Harley is that much louder than a stock Indian, but with the new parts, yes it is.

Those are my .02. Again, not sure if I’m right. I imagine there are reasons others here know of that might be more accurate.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You can get your Indian to be just as loud and louder than the Harley's. I am running the stage 2 cams, Indian stage 1 air cleaner along with Bassani pipes. I removed the baffles on the pipes and the bike sounds amazing and is very loud. Most Harley's i have compared it to are no where near as loud as my Chieftain. The stage 2 cams give the bike a nice loping sound also

·
Registered
413 Posts
Out of the box, a stock Harley isn’t really any louder than an out of the box Indian. While there are a similar number of options for slip ons between the 2, there are a ton fewer options for headers for Indians.

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
Out of the box, a stock Harley isn’t really any louder than an out of the box Indian. While there are a similar number of options for slip ons between the 2, there are a ton fewer options for headers for Indians.
True ,star changing exhaust etc then you can make both brands loud, the the cat out and see the difference to both bike again ,that will increase you noise levels.lol Nice note but very loud.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
My 18 RM stock is loud. to me seems to be a deep sound. New HD's that i had got louder after few 1000 miles on them guess it's with the carbon build up inside.

·
Founding member
1,749 Posts
Harley knows the sound is a big part of their appeal. They design for it specifically.

I think there were videos when the TS111 first came out that talked about sound being a design consideration, but only one of many, other factors being a broad low torque curve, reliability, ect. Even when considering sound, it was more about tone and cadence than volume. The EPA regulates how loud a stock bike can be anyway.

Personally, I don't really understand the appeal. This to me was always one of the things that differentiated Indian and its riders in a positive light. There was a South Park episode about what the general public thinks about Harley riders and their beloved noise. Don't want to be lumped in with that crowd.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,289 Posts
When I rode to the Guiness record attempt in Michigan there was a guy in our group riding an RM that had Freedom true dual headers with Tab Zombie slip-ons. Believe me that was the loudest Indian I've ever heard. Very loud and equal to any Harley I've ever heard.

·
Bronze member
2,126 Posts
Stock Harley vs Stock indian 111 exhaust, my Chieftain is louder. When adding pipes if they are identical I don’t know. Same pipes on my Victory as my Harley the Harleys louder. But there I attribute it to a pushrod motor vs a non pushrod motor., as mentioned you want loud pull the baffles run straits. But no back pressure hurts performance big time.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Harley knows the sound is a big part of their appeal. They design for it specifically.

I think there were videos when the TS111 first came out that talked about sound being a design consideration, but only one of many, other factors being a broad low torque curve, reliability, ect. Even when considering sound, it was more about tone and cadence than volume. The EPA regulates how loud a stock bike can be anyway.

Personally, I don't really understand the appeal. This to me was always one of the things that differentiated Indian and its riders in a positive light. There was a South Park episode about what the general public thinks about Harley riders and their beloved noise. Don't want to be lumped in with that crowd.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
The wife and I love the stock sound of our Chief! Saw that episode by the way. Funny as hell!

·
Registered
167 Posts
As someone earlier mentioned, the tab zombie slip ons are freaking loud and they sound great! I had the same setup on my 107 Road Glide Special and it was no where near as loud. I put the Tab Quiet baffles on the bike because the zombies drew too much attention.

·
Vendor / bronze
2,846 Posts
Stage two cams will give you that Harley rhythm (potato potato sound). But you have to install aftermarket pipes that are less restrictive. Harley owners have to change their pipes also. Stock pipes are made to meet government requirements.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts