Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings All,

Have been reading through the threads here and searching online stores, but not found an answer...
As you know, the Roadmaster Classic and some other Indian heavy tourers have a BIAS front and a RADIAL rear tire. While the engineers at Polaris may be comfortable with that choice, not sure I am.
Does anyone know of a front "130/90/16" in a radial with the appropriate load rating?
Alternately, has anyone tried a 140/80/16 or (gulp) 150/80/16 up front?

Ride safe,
Jim

·
Registered
2021 Indian Springfield
177 Posts
Greetings All,

Have been reading through the threads here and searching online stores, but not found an answer...
As you know, the Roadmaster Classic and some other Indian heavy tourers have a BIAS front and a RADIAL rear tire. While the engineers at Polaris may be comfortable with that choice, not sure I am.
Does anyone know of a front "130/90/16" in a radial with the appropriate load rating?
Alternately, has anyone tried a 140/80/16 or (gulp) 150/80/16 up front?

Ride safe,
Jim
The bias ply front and radial rear tire combination is not accidental and is not a bad thing. Here's where it came from.
The Motorcycle Tire Question: Radial, Bias or Both?

·
Bronze member
4,068 Posts
The last machine I owned was a Triumph Thunderbird which really wasn't a bad machine at all.I rode it for 8 years,traveling over 125,000 miles on it.However,it came with radial tires on both ends and neither lasted worth a shit regarding tire mileage,not to mention,they were waaaaaaaaaaaaaay more expensive then bias tires, almost double in price.So because I went threw 33 tires over that mileage and time frame,and then the price of em [I do my own work which saves me BIG BUCKS] I will never use another radial tire on any bike I own in the future.
Regarding the SDH I own which came with a radial on the rear,I also replaced that tire too ,but with a bias tire because,like the Tbird I owned,that radial didn't last worth a shit either.Now,if ya wanna jump over tall buildings in a single bound and attempt to set new 1/4 mile speed records, you're riding the WRONG machine because these big Indians are just too dam big and heavy to play squirrel with.On the other hand,if ya want a torquey and smooth riding machine to tour with,then the Indian IS the machine for you. (y) (y) Dave!!!

·
Super Moderator / Founding Member
4,835 Posts
Interesting article but I take issue with one statement there

Which raises the question, why are some manufacturers delivering new models with radial rear tires and bias-ply fronts? Harley-Davidson Softail Breakout and CVO Breakout are both equipped with a radial rear (240/40R-18) and a bias-ply front (130/60B-19) are examples of bikes that use this combo presumably for the advantages of longer tread life and better heat dissipation for rear tires.

I’ll throw a flag on this statement. A bias back tire will last longer and has a higher max loading than a similar tire in a radial make up. I feel radials out back are best on lighter sport bikes but by design are bad on big heavy touring bikes. By design the will cup more and wear quicker than a bias. Dean

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Greetings Gentlemen,

*Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Thank you for the responses and link to the article ( @SlidePicker )!

No responses to the second part of the original post: "Alternately, has anyone tried a 140/80/16 or (gulp) 150/80/16 up front? "

Ride Safe,
Jim

·
Registered
2021 Indian Springfield
177 Posts
My Springfield has a 130/80 B17 front tire, so I can't help. Both of my Harleys had the same width tires, 5.00X16 on the Duo-Glide, and I think they used the metric 130/80 B16 on the Tour Glide. What are you looking for in a wider front tire?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@SlidePicker You asked, "What are you looking for in a wider front tire?" Looking to have more options for a front radial. Metzler ME888 Ultra in a front radial at 150/80/16 for example. However, if the width won't fit, it's a moot thought.
Yes, I should accept that these engineers did an OK thing by mixing RADIALS and BIAS. However, I am from the school of MATCHED CONSTRUCTION (not mixing) for tires.
Will probably end up going BIAS/BIAS
Font Rectangle Screenshot Parallel Circle

Thank you again for the responses,
Ride safe,
Jim

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
I have the 130/80/17 on my Roadmaster trike I went with a 150/80/17 and it made my ABS light come on so I put a 140/80/17 tire on & the abs light is ok, on a trike we run a rear tire mounted backwards they last a lot longer the rear tire is a little Flater in the middle & put more rubber on the ground .

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Check out Hawg Halters HHI They have front wide tire kits there I think 180/60/18 ? wheel tire front fender not cheap but they are cool looking, Im thinking of doing one over the winter ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts