Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 6'3", under 200 lbs and I have a large inseam. I'm curious if I will look like a giant on this bike. I'm hoping to test ride one next week, but until then I don't know. I'm used to a dyna wide glide if that helps with reference

·
Registered
442 Posts
You shouldn't give 2 damn fu$$s on how you "look" on a bike! :devilish: Test ride one, try extended reach footpegs, - seat, and - bars and if you like it (bet you do, if not, there's still the regular Scout :cool:) go and get one. Much cooler and better bikes than your WG.

Reactions: 125538

·
Registered
65 Posts
Having had one, I'd say yes it's too small for you. If you test ride one and decide on such, I do think they make an extended reach seat which would help you. I would note that I felt the shocks were too stiff for a street bike but that's an individual decision.

·
Bronze member
2,733 Posts
It's good that you are checking into the "bike-rider visual first impression" scenario..

Nothing is worse than owning a bike you think makes you look like a dork. Well, actually, there is something worse - you actually DO look like a dork when on it..

Unfortunately, "Dork" is in my genes - but I still ask my daughter if I look good on my Scout, fairly regularly ( Cause she's such a liar !)... She always says I look great on it - but as I previously noted ....

My Reality: She wanted a Diavel - after she got tired of the Monster.. Since I had to ride "her" brand new Monster, when she tired of it in favor of "my" Scout, I figured I'd better see if I would like riding a Diavel.. Being wary from online vids of tall guys on Diavels, I had the 6'2" tech ride a new Diavel past me a few times (at the Duc Dealer) .. That's all it took.. No Diavel in my future !

Reactions: SSHardball22

·
Silver member
5,293 Posts
I'm 6'-01" and just under 240 lbs and I own a Scout. More of a muscular build than fat bod build for a visual perspective...lol...Ah who am I kidding... more like a muscular dad bod build...Haha.
I do feel a bit cramped on the Scout but it is a really fun bike to ride; however, for me personally not a great bike for riding long hours on.
I also own a Chieftain which is my primary bike that I ride.

With your height; have you considered a Springfield? That's an awesome bike as well; maybe take that out for a test ride also to compare with.

Good luck!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Im 6 ft 2, 225. It might be a little small... extended reach controls would probably be nice to have. I have a Corbin brave seat (helped tremendously, don't bother with the indian extended reach seat unless you get a great deal) and 10 inch mini apes. I can do 400 miles in a day without hating life lol. do I look like a dork? I don't know, I haven't asked anyone.

·
Bronze member
1,919 Posts
Having had one, I'd say yes it's too small for you. If you test ride one and decide on such, I do think they make an extended reach seat which would help you. I would note that I felt the shocks were too stiff for a street bike but that's an individual decision.
Too stiff (shocks)?
No...bobber shocks offer 2 inches of travel.
Bobbers benefit from longer (and better) shocks, not softer units.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Yes its too small. I'm 5'-7" barely and I wish I could stretch my legs out a bit more. What's your budget? Better yet go sit on a ton of bikes. Find one that fits you and if you can't afford the new one try and find it used. Try them all. Indian, Harley, Honda. All motorcycles are awesome. I don't think anyone here would give you a hard time no matter what you buy.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Too stiff (shocks)?
No...bobber shocks offer 2 inches of travel.
Bobbers benefit from longer (and better) shocks, not softer units.

Sorry to burst your bubble.
I'd agree they are pretty damn stiff. I'm sure the shock might be better but its definitely firm.

·
Registered
134 Posts
The inportant thing is that you will determine over time that it is too small. I owned a Scout, not a Bobber, for about 6 months before i realized it was just too small. I'm 5'10" 205. I spent money upgrading the shocks and ride components and although the improvements were necessary, it still wasnt enough to overcome the fact that i was too big for the bike. It became fatiguing and uncomfrotable on longer rides...so I bought a Springfield. and love it!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm 5'10", and I test drove the Scout Bobber. The pegs are likely going to be too close for you. It's also a very rough ride due to the rear shocks. It felt very cramped to me. I went with the Scout Sixty and even put extended controls on it. At a minimum you are going to have to:
1. Replace the peg mounts with the extended mount from the Scout / Scout Sixty and add forward controls
2. Replace the rear shocks
3. Likely bring up the handlebars (mini-apes maybe)
Even then, when you stop, you are going to feel like you are sitting on the ground.

·
Premium Member
2020 Indian Scout Sixty
229 Posts
1. Who cares what you look like on the bike.
2. There are several things you can do to improve the overall physical comfort with seats, handlebars, pegs that will fit you.
3. If you try it and don’t like the ergonomic, try the Scout.
4. Only you can decide what makes you feel right!

Life is short...ride what makes YOU happy!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts