Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I changed the oil in my RM last week at 5,000 miles, I noticed that my OEM oil dipstick has the word, "Cold" etched on it (below the "Add" mark) along with a row of 5 "X's" on upper side of "Cold" and 5 "X's" going down toward the bottom of the dipstick on lower side of "Cold". Looks like those are there to check oil level too! This made me wonder if the manufacturer (Indian) intended for this "Cold" mark to be used for a "cold oil" reading. I know the service manual, owner's manual and everything we know says check oil level at normal operating temp but considering how inconsistent the oil level reading is from one try to another, maybe there was an intent for the dipstick to be used for cold oil readings and never covered in the manual, just like setting the alarm from the key FOB was left out. Thoughts?

·
Bronze member
2,977 Posts
Don't know about the Indian 111 motor,but every motor vehicle, piece of equipment,or motorcycle I've ever owned or worked on over the past 60 some odd years,[and I've done just a few of em over those years,lol ],the oil was always checked cold and with the vehicle/piece of equipment,parked on a level surface,or as level as possible.And THIS is what I'm also doing on my Springfield Dark Horse and so far,so good.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
When I changed the oil in my RM last week at 5,000 miles, I noticed that my OEM oil dipstick has the word, "Cold" etched on it (below the "Add" mark) along with a row of 5 "X's" on upper side of "Cold" and 5 "X's" going down toward the bottom of the dipstick on lower side of "Cold". Looks like those are there to check oil level too! This made me wonder if the manufacturer (Indian) intended for this "Cold" mark to be used for a "cold oil" reading. I know the service manual, owner's manual and everything we know says check oil level at normal operating temp but considering how inconsistent the oil level reading is from one try to another, maybe there was an intent for the dipstick to be used for cold oil readings and never covered in the manual, just like setting the alarm from the key FOB was left out. Thoughts?
For what it's worth, I took a "Cold Oil" reading today with my RM on the side stand (on a 2x4 so almost level) and my oil level was up enough to cover the first "5 X's".... and just touching the word, "Cold". So, maybe a WAG, but if there are 5 X's below the word, "Cold" and 5 X's above, maybe the 5 X's above represent "Full" and the 5 X's below represent "Add". My oil level reading was right in the middle touching "Cold".

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Read the manual.........[/QUOTE

I read the manual (read my first post!)

The manual says a cold reading will be incorrect. It also says hot oil readings will vary too....which is what most experience here. The manual's picture of the RM oil dipstick is different from mine and doesn't show the "Cold" or the 10 X's markings that are on my OEM dipstick.......nor does it explain why they are there.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
426 Posts
I believe you need to run the motor for ~ one hour, so the oil is really hot and fluid. After a ride with the bike on the kickstand, remove the dip stick and the oil should coming up the threads.

·
Rider
879 Posts
Don't know about the Indian 111 motor,but every motor vehicle, piece of equipment,or motorcycle I've ever owned or worked on over the past 60 some odd years,[and I've done just a few of em over those years,lol ],the oil was always checked cold and with the vehicle/piece of equipment,parked on a level surface,or as level as possible.And THIS is what I'm also doing on my Springfield Dark Horse and so far,so good.
Never owned a Vehicle with a Dry Sump System then... Like a Harley..
Must be checked when yer done Riding... or yer guaranteed to overfill!!!
Or... Stick to a Chevrolet!!!

Read the manual.........
What a Concept!!!!!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Read the manual.........
The manual is the authority. My 2018 Scout manual says, 'cold, after a 30 second run.' Interestingly enough, the Scout Service manual says, 'At operating temperature.' The owners manual is a newer publication, so that's what I use.

·
Bronze member
3,937 Posts
Never owned a Vehicle with a Dry Sump System then... Like a Harley..
Must be checked when yer done Riding... or yer guaranteed to overfill!!!
Or... Stick to a Chevrolet!!!

What a Concept!!!!!
Exactly!!!!!!!!

Yep Dry sumps have been around for a very long time and are checked hot.

Just for those who don't know....

A wet sump is what most people are exposed to when checking oil on engines. A wet sump utilizes a oil pan beneath the engine that collects all the oil that drips down from the engine during operation. The reason those are checked cold, is because you want to make sure all the oil has time to drain into the pan for a proper reading.

Dry sumps do not use a drain pan at all, instead they use an oil tank that is located externally to the engine or in Indians case, inside the engine. Oil pumps pump oil from the tank into the engine and additional oil pumps (savaging pumps) pump oil back to the oil tank. The only time the oil tank is full is when the engine is running, thus the reason to check it after riding. Since oil leaks from the tank when the engine is shut down, an exact amount is not measured, but an acceptable range to be within. Dry sumps have been around since engines have been around, V Twins, Radial aircraft engines, and Jet and Turboprop engines.

The procedure of warming up the engine prior to an oil change comes from the DRY SUMP OIL change procedure. Which has been incorrectly used on wet sump engines for decades.!!!!!!!! LOL Wet sump oil systems should always be changed cold, because all the oil has drained into the oil pan. Dry sump engines need the oil drained hot, because you are draining mostly from the oil tank and need it to be full as possible.

The 111cu is called a semi-dry sump because the oil tank is inside the engine, but the concept is the same as a dry sump.

·
Bronze member
2,977 Posts
The OM that came with my 2018 Springfield says to allow a cold motor to warm up just enough to reach it's operating temperature,idling for approximately 10 minutes, shut it down,THEN, check the oil level. I shall check this out first thing tomorrow morning.

·
Rider
587 Posts
The Scouts are definitely touchy about measuring. The other day I measured right after a ride.
First, while it was on the kickstand and got a reading of right at the Add line. Then I got out the motorcycle jack and raised it enough to keep the bike level, but not off the ground. This time I got a reading of just barely under Full.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I think the 30 second run specified by the Scout manual (and your manuals 10 minute run) allows the scavenge pump to clear the engine of oil and move it to the transmission/tank for measurement. A 10 minute run will bring the coolant up to temperature, but the oil won't fully warm up for many miles. It will probably get it to its pour point, so it can be pumped. On the last bike I had with an oil temperature gauge, it was something like 30 to 45 miles for the oil to get to 180 deg. It never reached the 212 deg. (f) that is used for oil testing. You're doing the right thing following the OM.

·
Bronze member
2,977 Posts
The OM that came with my 2018 Springfield says to allow a cold motor to warm up just enough to reach it's operating temperature,idling for approximately 10 minutes, shut it down,THEN, check the oil level. I shall check this out first thing tomorrow morning.
OK!! Here's what I just did: According to the OM,you start the motor cold,then allow it to warm up until she gets up to operating temp.[ I let it run for a good ten minutes] Then allow it to set for one minute,not to exceed three minutes, other wise you'll have to do the procedure over again cause ya won't get an accurate reading on the dip stick.THEN,check the oil.So what I did was check it BEFORE I started it to see what the reading on the dip stick was which showed it was down half a quart.But after I did the procedure listed in the OM,allowing the motor too set for one minute,she was right on the money,or the full mark.So,what I will now do in the future, is check it within one minute of coming in from a ride, which should basically do the same thing.Whadaya think??? Dave!!!

·
Registered
187 Posts
OK!! Here's what I just did: According to the OM,you start the motor cold,then allow it to warm up until she gets up to operating temp.[ I let it run for a good ten minutes] Then allow it to set for one minute,not to exceed three minutes, other wise you'll have to do the procedure over again cause ya won't get an accurate reading on the dip stick.THEN,check the oil.So what I did was check it BEFORE I started it to see what the reading on the dip stick was which showed it was down half a quart.But after I did the procedure listed in the OM,allowing the motor too set for one minute,she was right on the money,or the full mark.So,what I will now do in the future, is check it within one minute of coming in from a ride, which should basically do the same thing.Whadaya think??? Dave!!!
The hot (after ride, not 10 minute run) oil will read just a little bit higher. Taking that into account, don't adjust the level for the hot reading. Just note what the hot reading is when the 10 minute run reading is correct. Than you know what the level should be for either checking method.

·
Registered
192 Posts
If you don't screw the dipstick back in but just leave it on the ground beside the motorcycle and hit the start button, you will get oil blown all over your left pant leg. Don't ask me how I know this (it's not in the manual).

·
Bronze member
2,977 Posts
Just came back in from a 100 mile run, [not 10 minutes,lol] shut it off, backed it into the garage,which took me just about one minute,set the machine so she was parked on a level surface, pulled the dip stick,wiped it off, reinserted it to check the oil level, [all per the OM],and "Wola" the oil level was right on the money [ full mark]. Sooooooooooo!! I got it!! ;) Not bad for a Dumb Polock:rolleyes:,whadaya think??? lol lol

·
Bronze member
2,977 Posts
If you don't screw the dipstick back in but just leave it on the ground beside the motorcycle and hit the start button, you will get oil blown all over your left pant leg. Don't ask me how I know this (it's not in the manual).
I've never done that,but have seen others do it.Me may be Dumb Polock,but me no Stupid Polock!! lol lol

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I contacted Polaris to see if I can get an answer as to why the OEM oil dipstick on my 2017 RM has "Cold" on the dipstick and 10 "X's" as if this was intended to enable cold oil level readings. A Polaris rep responded as follows:

Hello,
Thank you for contacting Polaris Industries. Engine MUST BE AT FULL OPERATING TEMPERATURE when checking oil level. Please see attached information from service manual part number 9929389.
I have reached out to the technical motorcycle team and they stated the cold was on the dipstick for usage at the manufacturing level. This was removed from the dipstick on 2018 – 2019 vehicles.........

My money would be that the statement, "cold on the dipstick was for usage at the manufacturing level" is that cold oil level readings were taken at some point, or multiple points during the manufacturing process at the factory.

Attachments

·
Rider
879 Posts
I contacted Polaris to see if I can get an answer as to why the OEM oil dipstick on my 2017 RM has "Cold" on the dipstick and 10 "X's" as if this was intended to enable cold oil level readings. A Polaris rep responded as follows:

Hello,
Thank you for contacting Polaris Industries. Engine MUST BE AT FULL OPERATING TEMPERATURE when checking oil level. Please see attached information from service manual part number 9929389.
I have reached out to the technical motorcycle team and they stated the cold was on the dipstick for usage at the manufacturing level. This was removed from the dipstick on 2018 – 2019 vehicles.........

My money would be that the statement, "cold on the dipstick was for usage at the manufacturing level" is that cold oil level readings were taken at some point, or multiple points during the manufacturing process at the factory.
LOL
or maybe it is the same dipstick as used on a Sidebyside!!!!

or that snowmobile with wheels onto it even!!!
LOL

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
LOL
or maybe it is the same dipstick as used on a Sidebyside!!!!

or that snowmobile with wheels onto it even!!!
LOL
It could be, but Polaris said "it was for usage at the manufacturing level". Hmmmm, now what could an oil dipstick with the words, "cold" and 10 "X" marks be used for at the "manufacturing level" other than to measure cold oil level? Of course, the other side of that coin is that Polaris could have had a shitload of these leftover oil dipsticks from past manufacturing of other vehicles (ATV's, snowmobiles, etc) and decided to use them up by sticking them in Indian motorcycles up to 2017 models. My curiosity led me to contact Polaris. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts