Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Silver member
3,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I may have my first indicator that the honeymoon is losing its brilliance. I just finished the 116 hop up kit and took the bike to the dealer to have the oil changed and check the front end that had a small vibration under deceleration. They determined the rotors were warped and put in for a warranty claim, the bike having 10'000 miles and still under the two year time limit.

Indian rejects the claim stating it is a wearing part. I'm sure they are but do rotors warp normally in less than two years and 10'000 miles? Of course not. I told the dealer that and it shows a poor quality component. I'll pony up the money but this looks like my blushing romance may be coming to an end. Still love the bike but not the supporting company. Or should I say NON supporting company.:(

Reactions: Indian53

·
Silver member
5,505 Posts
I read this exact happens to so many bikes (regardless of brand). BMW, Honda, Ducati, it's like a lottery. Pads should wear, rotors should wear a bit, but stay straight.

How hard can it be?

(one of the biggest scams in the motorcycle warranty business imho)

Good luck man!

·
Silver member
3,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would seek an after market rotor if that is the case. No need in doing this again in 10k more miles.
That's a good point. I'll tx them right now informing them that if there is no warranty I will not be buying Indian rotors.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I feel you my brother. But that's not an indian or corporate thing. That's universal. No one covers rotors in automobile or motorcycle industry. So like John prine said, Dear abby, Dear abby you have no complaint ;

·
Registered
187 Posts
Sorry to hear it but even on cars and trucks the rotors are usually only a 12 month thing.

·
Banned
7,192 Posts
They determined the rotors were warped and put in for a warranty claim, the bike having 10'000 miles and still under the two year time limit.
I’d find out what the min specs are for the rotor thickness..(How far they can wear down before the factory says they need replacement).
Then find a machine shop that will kiss grind them..
Bringing them back to flat, to at least 70% clean up (hit the high spots).
Depending how badly they are out of shape, you may be able to save them.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
As I keep saying, Polaris is just a company run by bean counters. Most companies are. Indians are not magical, the sound of their engines aren’t war chants, and the people who ride them aren’t warriors- or even special, unique, or different. (That would be that uncle you haven’t seen for a few decades). They are bikes and as such will fail at some point- some sooner than others. In science, we refer to it as a LD 50.

I suffer no illusions about my bike and realize nothing about it made sense when I bought it.

Which is precisely why I bought it.

Fail me, she will. Let me down in the dark of night 150 miles from no where. Maybe. But, love her I do and together we will ride to our deaths in either a fiery explosion off of the cliffs of 74 near the San Jacinto mountains or end up twisted and broken along the side road of a road after a tire blowout in the middle of the Salton Sea wilderness.

So, you see, a warped tire rotor is just part of the overall journey to glory.

Now, you feel better, don’t you!

·
Gold member
6,463 Posts
Well I may have my first indicator that the honeymoon is losing its brilliance. I just finished the 116 hop up kit and took the bike to the dealer to have the oil changed and check the front end that had a small vibration under deceleration. They determined the rotors were warped and put in for a warranty claim, the bike having 10'000 miles and still under the two year time limit.

Indian rejects the claim stating it is a wearing part. I'm sure they are but do rotors warp normally in less than two years and 10'000 miles? Of course not. I told the dealer that and it shows a poor quality component. I'll pony up the money but this looks like my blushing romance may be coming to an end. Still love the bike but not the supporting company. Or should I say NON supporting company.:(
Hey Doc, do you have fringe on the brake and clutch lever? If so I had a set on one of my bikes and I’d be speeding along and the fringe would go horizontal and the brake side would make my brake light flicker and was always pulling on the brake, ‘warped my rotors’ Just checking kuz I want your romance to last. Love to hate it or hate to love it. Let me know.

·
Bronze member
2,276 Posts
10000 miles? not normal!
On the front end we have TWO brake discs and they can take a LOT of braking forces! Basically as much disc capacity as a cager in the front with much less weight here!
So its either physical damage (some guy not being careful with the wheel choc when clamping in that 16" wheel with those relatively large discs e.g) or excessive heat build up. Can happen either by one of the calipers not working correctly keeping one or both pads dragging ... or e.g. the lever putting the slightest pressure, so the pads just slightly rub. Above "fringe" hint is a very good one!.

Anyway ... I have never seen rotors being covered by warranty UNLESS you can prove that the correctly dealer maintained bike has "unmaintained" calipers with sticking parts. Brake system is safety relevant ... and no dealer or manufacturer likes to be dragged for this into daylight :)

·
Banned
7,192 Posts
10000 miles? not normal!
On the front end we have TWO brake discs and they can take a LOT of braking forces! Basically as much disc capacity as a cager in the front with much less weight here!
So its either physical damage (some guy not being careful with the wheel choc when clamping in that 16" wheel with those relatively large discs e.g) or excessive heat build up. Can happen either by one of the calipers not working correctly keeping one or both pads dragging ... or e.g. the lever putting the slightest pressure, so the pads just slightly rub. Above "fringe" hint is a very good one!.

Anyway ... I have never seen rotors being covered by warranty UNLESS you can prove that the correctly dealer maintained bike has "unmaintained" calipers with sticking parts. Brake system is safety relevant ... and no dealer or manufacturer likes to be dragged for this into daylight :)
I’ve had 3 Harley’s never had a problem with rotors..
But I didn’t put theses things on the brake levers.
Pink Magenta Fashion accessory Bow tie Tie

:D

·
Gold member
6,463 Posts
I’ve had 3 Harley’s never had a problem with rotors..
But I didn’t put theses things on the brake levers.
View attachment 413538
:D
. I see you took my advice on those type of frills used as fringe. And the bows just had to go! Your bike looks nice now and louder because you’re using that propeller on the stick and baseball cards on the front wheel. Next we will work on the bell clicker and tubular horn. Meep meep!

·
Silver member
3,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey Doc, do you have fringe on the brake and clutch lever? If so I had a set on one of my bikes and I’d be speeding along and the fringe would go horizontal and the brake side would make my brake light flicker and was always pulling on the brake, ‘warped my rotors’ Just checking kuz I want your romance to last. Love to hate it or hate to love it. Let me know.
No fringe on the levers.

·
Rider
724 Posts

Rotors warping are usually caused by improper torquing on bolts. On cars, trucks, improper torquing of lug nuts.

·
Silver member
3,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The service writer has texted me informing me that he is resubmitting it again in a different manner. He has not given up yet. We did get rotors replaced on warranty on one of Sandy’s Chieftains last year.

I also told him I would not be buying rotors from Indian with my money. If that is normal for their quality I don’t want any more of that. He is being as helpful as possible.

I won’t throw a B—— fit if denied but I’ll buy a better product.

·
Rider
724 Posts
Even at 100 mph, my fringes don't bother my brake lever. But Indian does include the brake lever kit in case they do with their fringes.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts