Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Bronze member
1,453 Posts
We have a similar problem here in Australia and I would say yes...

I'm a palliative carer and the last two weeks I've lost two people that I cared for, riding a motorcycle helps me centre myself and ground myself.
there is no God there's no point to life you just enjoy what youve got while you've got it.

essential to my mental well-being.

That's the excuse I use.
having said that I don't ride in groups and I stay well, and I mean well, away from people

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,847 Posts
I feel fortunate by living away from big cities but I'm keeping my guard up. I will continue to ride in my rural area away from town but will have to go there to refuel occasionally. I will put some disposable gloves in my saddlebag to wear at the gas pumps and throw them away as soon as I'm finished.

·
Registered
240 Posts
If in the unlikely event I am stopped, my response will be "I'm on my way to volunteer at the …." or "I'm on my way to donate blood". The key is to have this information ready for any LEO.

·
Rider
1,571 Posts
We have a similar problem here in Australia and I would say yes...

I'm a palliative carer and the last two weeks I've lost two people that I cared for, riding a motorcycle helps me centre myself and ground myself.
there is no God there's no point to life you just enjoy what youve got while you've got it.

essential to my mental well-being.

That's the excuse I use.
having said that I don't ride in groups and I stay well, and I mean well, away from people
Sorry to hear your going though a rough patch. Try to keep your chin up.

·
German rider
691 Posts
I would assume that dissallowing traveling is ok, in the meaning of leaving A for traveling to B.
But if someone rides a turn from A to A , then there is no 'spread' of viruses, for which this order is given.
Exception, someones kid will hear your V2 while waiting for TP in front of a store you are passing in this moment, and then this guy is infected from V2-Virus.
So, take care about your decision.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I rode yesterday for about two hours and passed around 50 (conservative number) others doing the same. I even stopped at a police department in one town to take a picture for the scavenger hunt. Nobody came out to give me a citation.....maybe they thought I had the plague.

·
Administrator
14,798 Posts
We are still in the “more relaxed” end of the spectrum. As our gov explained, “The grim reaper enforces this shutdown order - - not the cops.” If things get worse, an increase in fines and enforcement may occur (subject of course to cops being available for this purpose. Their ranks will thin as this progresses, and they’re going to be really busy with an increase in violent crimes.) At the other side of the spectrum you may see roadblocks with national guard checking id’s / purposes of trip — but that is not just around the corner (no pun).

In my book, riding is a very safe activity.

·
Bronze member
3,973 Posts
We are still in the “more relaxed” end of the spectrum. As our gov explained, “The grim reaper enforces this shutdown order - - not the cops.” If things get worse, an increase in fines and enforcement may occur (subject of course to cops being available for this purpose. Their ranks will thin as this progresses, and they’re going to be really busy with an increase in violent crimes.) At the other side of the spectrum you may see roadblocks with national guard checking id’s / purposes of trip — but that is not just around the corner (no pun).

In my book, riding is a very safe activity.

The past month crime has been significantly lower in the areas with the higher rates of the corona virus

·
Registered
321 Posts
In the UK we are allowed to travel only if essential and I suppose I could ride 30 miles to get to the shops that are only a mile away, but one point of the (bike) travel restriction is to minimise the chances of being in an accident and having to divert resources (Drs and nurses) from fighting the virus to patching up motorcyclists who just felt like going for a ride because the sun was shining.
I have seen very very few bikes out lately, most riders are deciding to "do the right thing" rather than "see what they can get away with"

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Not sure about you. But, I will be taking the extended routes on my bike to and from my "essential job".
We are restricted to 20km from post here, and can only go to and from work. I have a route that takes about an hour to ride, instead of the usual 10 minutes...they did not say what route we had to take!

·
Bronze member
2,788 Posts
travel restriction is to minimise the chances of being in an accident and having to divert resources (Drs and nurses) from fighting the virus to patching up motorcyclists who just felt like going for a ride because the sun was shining.
This is a very good point. I am completely against mandatory stay-ins, I advocate for self governance & I practice it. Ride to & from work, play with the dogs in the back yard, & hit the store when necessary, & that's about it.

·
Bronze member
2,076 Posts
one point of the (bike) travel restriction is to minimise the chances of being in an accident and having to divert resources (Drs and nurses) from fighting the virus to patching up motorcyclists who just felt like going for a ride because the sun was shining.
"
IMG_6761.jpg

Our life flight, flight volume has gone down A LOT over the past two weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
176 Posts
Restrictions depend on where you live. This weekend I saw/heard a lot of motorcycle here in Salt Lake. Sun was in and out and temp got close to 50F. Mabey folks are trying to get a ride in before the Gov. shuts us down.

·
Registered
179 Posts
In the UK we are allowed to travel only if essential and I suppose I could ride 30 miles to get to the shops that are only a mile away, but one point of the (bike) travel restriction is to minimise the chances of being in an accident and having to divert resources (Drs and nurses) from fighting the virus to patching up motorcyclists who just felt like going for a ride because the sun was shining.
I have seen very very few bikes out lately, most riders are deciding to "do the right thing" rather than "see what they can get away with"
right now only 157 confirmed cases in San Antonio so shouldn't be a huge strain yet. However, I'm sure everybody and their dog that has a cough is running to the hospitals and asking to be put on a ventilator.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts