Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2019 RM here. Just acquired at the end of May. Just about to 700 miles already. New Tab zombies, sounding amazing! Does anyone else have any issues with their fuel gauge saying they have low fuel, when you know it's not low fuel? The tank is 5.5 Gal according to the manual IIRC.

So for example, I start it up, and my trip meter says it is at like 90 miles. My instant avg mpg had been 40. So just out of curiosity to see how much fuel has really been consumed, I go to fill it up since my electronic gauge says 22 miles to go and asks me if it needs to find a gas station. I put in 2.2 gallons. I'm NOT a math major, but come on. Why is it lying? I saw somewhere where it had to go XX amount of feet to recalibrate or reassess how far to go? Well my trip to the gas station is a few blocks. It still thinks its low on fuel, even though there are still 3 gallons in the tank?

Is the instant MPG reliable enough to gauge how far you can go? If I have gone 80 miles, and I'm getting 40mpg, have only 2 gallons been consumed, and I still have 3.5 left? If based on the instant MPG readings, can you accurately determine you can go much farther than what the gas gauge says? If I'm getting 40 mpg, I should be getting close to 200 miles before the gas gauge should come on telling me fuel is low? Or is something wrong with my gauge? Any input and experiences would be helpful. Thanks!

·
Bronze member
2,660 Posts
I’ve had two Indians and both indicated less gas than what I actually had. I suspect the fuel indicators are set that way to lessen the likelihood of running out of gas. I ran my Challenger down to 2 miles til empty and I had slightly over 1/2 gallon (about 20 miles) remaining. I calculated that when my RM showed 40 miles til empty, I actually had about 55 miles left...maybe a few more.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Good to know.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
My 19 rm starts promptin me to find a fuel station when I have two gallons left. So right around 80 miles of range it wants to fill up.

Reactions: Lord Bard Prime

·
Registered
52 Posts
Dont forget to take into account the gas sloshing around in the tank. Usually figure its time to fill around the two bars and it hasn't let me down yet.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
3,432 Posts
mine warns me when it says I have 40 miles remaining... but that is what it's thinking based on your average miles per gallon on that tank of fuel... so when I run 55 -59 with cruise I'm getting about 52mpg... but when I crank it up to 68-70 I'm getting 41-43 and head winds make a hell of a difference also.. so if your low I know if I crank down the speed I can milk it for more miles.. bottom line is the only trust I have in it, is when it tells me to start looking for fuel.. I hate walking.. as far as not resetting did you shut off your ride command?.. if you don't it will not reset and still tell you your low on fuel...

·
Registered
32 Posts
it has been my experience that my fuel indicator, when low, is not accurate in miles remaining.
@ approx. 30 mi. remaining, the gauge switches to LOW FUEL. I have ran then ran until gauge shows 0 fuel remaining, and upon fill up i can squirt in, 4.8 gal. max. I have '17 RM with Roadmaster trike kit.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,049 Posts
2019 RM here. Just acquired at the end of May. Just about to 700 miles already. New Tab zombies, sounding amazing! Does anyone else have any issues with their fuel gauge saying they have low fuel, when you know it's not low fuel? The tank is 5.5 Gal according to the manual IIRC.

So for example, I start it up, and my trip meter says it is at like 90 miles. My instant avg mpg had been 40. So just out of curiosity to see how much fuel has really been consumed, I go to fill it up since my electronic gauge says 22 miles to go and asks me if it needs to find a gas station. I put in 2.2 gallons. I'm NOT a math major, but come on. Why is it lying? I saw somewhere where it had to go XX amount of feet to recalibrate or reassess how far to go? Well my trip to the gas station is a few blocks. It still thinks its low on fuel, even though there are still 3 gallons in the tank?

Is the instant MPG reliable enough to gauge how far you can go? If I have gone 80 miles, and I'm getting 40mpg, have only 2 gallons been consumed, and I still have 3.5 left? If based on the instant MPG readings, can you accurately determine you can go much farther than what the gas gauge says? If I'm getting 40 mpg, I should be getting close to 200 miles before the gas gauge should come on telling me fuel is low? Or is something wrong with my gauge? Any input and experiences would be helpful. Thanks!
Something you might want to consider is that the fuel pump is inside the gas tank. This helps keep it cool. When the fuel level is low the fuel pump may run hotter. You can help preserve your fuel pump by refilling before the level drops too low.
--- Randall

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. When I get fuel, I usually leave the power on to see the electronic gauge fill up. Then hit the reset button on the screen to reset my trip meter. The tank full while just the power is still on, it will say it has close to 200 mile range.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have had two Roadmasters, a 14 and 17. I just got a Challenger and have put about 5500 miles on her. The fuel miles count down is like voodoo magic until you figure it out. It seems to have a learning curve based on how far you went between fueling. The longer you went between fuel stops, the more miles it will say you have miles to go on a fresh fill. If I stop and fuel earlier than low fuel warning , it will generally tell me I will have less miles to go on that full tank. Also in all cases when I am down to about 2 gallons of fuel left it might say I have 80 or 90 miles left. However that number starts to drop drastically the closer I get to one gallon remaining. My best guess is that when I have 1.5 gallons remaining it will go into low fuel warning or reserve (supposed to be 1 gallon). As it continues counting down, however the countdown miles don't drop as fast as the miles traveled. It really gets stretched out. That being said I am averaging approx 220 miles per tank. (If I refuel at 200 I generally have to put in 5.5 gallons). I trust the low fuel warning/reserve to indicate I have at least one gallon left. Of course I was running with a one gallon fuel can in my saddlebag until I was comfortable with, when I really need to stop for fuel.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Something you might want to consider is that the fuel pump is inside the gas tank. This helps keep it cool. When the fuel level is low the fuel pump may run hotter. You can help preserve your fuel pump by refilling before the level drops too low.
--- Randall
And it also displaces fuel, so, that 5.5 gallon tank doesn't hold exactly 5.5 gallons of fuel.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I fueled up again today. The bars on the gauge were all gone off the display. And it kept reading low fuel, 20 something miles range when I know there is more than that. But it's the most amount of gas I put in that tank at something like 4.2 gallons. So far, just basing fuel range off the instant mpg seems to be pretty accurate. I guess I'll keep track of the amounts I put in and compare it to the mpg and distance traveled.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts