Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dealer advised me not to. Not sure why. Seems like rain at 70 mph is just as bad as a spray nozzle.

·
Founding member
2014 Red Chief Classic
1,026 Posts
I've washed bikes in a carwash for over 50 years with no problems. The car wash is especially good at taking the dead bugs off. Just don't hit the air intake or any wiring very much. Down here in Florida I live on a well, so when I wash the bike at home it spots. So I ride up to the car wash and use the spotless cycle and ride and dry. My bike comes out spotless.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger...Sandstone Smoke
489 Posts
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Vehicle

Just get some good rain gear and go for it...just kidding. Like 2Cool said above just stay away from electrical harnesses and the air intake and you should be fine. I've washed mine at home with a pressure washer without any issues

·
Registered
2018 Indian Motorcycle Scout Bobber Star Silver Smoke
184 Posts
We don't have hoses at the townhomes where I live (because the management forbids washing vehicles :rolleyes: ) I am hesitant to use the high-pressure wash, so I use a spray & rinse motorcycle cleaner. Meguiar's Motorcycle EZ Clean Spray & Rinse works great. Then I got a 5-litre bottle of Muc-off Biodegradable Motorcycle Cleaner for $25 from Woot. It works well, too. I just use the light spray at the car wash to pre-wet and then to rinse. I've also used it with a bucket and sponge, but that's kind of a pain.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, guys.

I've washed my bikes at car washes all my life and never had a problem. I understand about the electronics and intake.

Is there something about spraying down a hot engine? It's never been a problem with my previous bikes.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,106 Posts
I hand wash my Indian Chieftain. Not fond of high pressure water on any motorcycle I have owned...

2014 Indian Chieftain
I completely agree. I can't believe we are bringing this up again. D

·
4,106 Posts
+1
No High Pressure car washes.
Honestly I don't see it being that big of an issue on the non fairing bikes but on a fairing bike there is just no way. Take the fairing off and see how exposed the electronics are is a bit scary. My last comment on this. It does not matter what opinions are out there no one is going to change their mind on this, might as well start another oil thread. D

·
5,320 Posts
Hand wash and keep the nozzle far enough from the bike that you don’t get a strong jet near anywhere water can get where it shouldn’t. The problem comes in when people get a power wash right up next to anywhere around the engine or exposed wire harnesses. Just like teaching new riders to not brake in a corner. It’s not that you can’t, it’s just that you can run into problems if you do it wrong.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
'21 Springfield DH. No fairing.

I did a search on "car wash." Got tired of wading through stuff I didn't need.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Take your bike to the manual carwash. Avoid sensitive parts(wiring, rubber boots, etc). Whatever you do, do not use the wax cycle. I did it once 40 years ago with my CB 750. When I got done, I pulled out into traffic and immediately went down like I had hit an ice patch. Wax on tires is not a good idea.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
If you do, make sure you keep the high pressure blast away from the wheel bearings and the spokes if you have wire spoke rims. Also avoid the stick on chrome strips on the fenders, gauges and, as mentioned earlier, electrical connections and controls.

·
Silver member
5,191 Posts
Electrics seem to be a bit finicky on Indians so gentle at home wash only, when I wash it. 99% of the time I just use one of those fluffy dusting thingies on the tins and plastic, then go over the bike with a quick detailer and or spray wax.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Dittos for me. I don't use a hose at all for maintenance washes. Two buckets, both with super hot water, no soap. One to "wash" the bike, the other to rinse it. Blow it off with a leaf blower and quick detailer after that.

·
Bronze member
1,254 Posts
For me I spray the whole bike sown with the tire cleaner the using the soap brush it down as good as you can then fresh water rinse. That is what I do when I am away from home. I have a 2014 which had the softer paint, I am told, and I have never had an issue. Stay away from the electrics though, Dont get water up into the connectors and such, like several had said. I pretty sure you already knew that. At home I use my pressure washer and soap, chamois or a blower to dry.

Reactions: BlackhawkFan

·
Registered
23 Posts
Glad I am not the only one to grab the leaf blower to dry the bike :) Start with the chamois, then electric leaf blower for all the chrome engine parts you cant dry well, then a chamois again.

I did learn the hard way how un waterproof my garage door opener (Mo Door) is! Started to open/close the door at random. Now it gets put in a ziploc bag first!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts