Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Slip-on exhaust. Performance air intake. Bobber saddlebag.
Give your ride custom treatment with all-new Indian® Scout® Bobber accessories.

FEATURED ACCESSORIES

Check out this "Featured Accessory" summary for the new Scout Bobber, it claims an available "Performance Air Intake"....

This is only of interest to me due to being located in California and having been limited to Genuine Indian performance mods such as the slip-ons due to their CARB certification... I'm hoping this means there will be a CARB certified intake just like the ones available for the ThunderStroke 111, together with reflash? On the Indian Site link there is no mention of the intake though, just the blacked out slip-ons, smaller saddle bag, and bobber passenger seat...?

Anyone have some insight?

Beard4Christ

·
Registered
239 Posts
Now, this has my attention. I will put the boots to my dealer and see what they say. Maybe I can get some picks depending on what is required when they assemble a bike when it comes in.

Reactions: Graham UK

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here it is... just got back from the dealer and he looked it up again and turns out it has recently been added to the Indian site... looks like it is dealer only installation, hopefully this means a reflash, but at that price more than likely it just means they don't trust the average joe with a wrench... maybe there is more to it then it looks like.... definetlly doesn't look as free flowing as the aftermarket options but could be the max benefit for us CARB hindered Californians... $99 seems like a low commitment and worth a shot. I'll take even the smallest performance benefit, which is usually all I can legally get... overall slightly disappointed, but still stoked to slap on another mild modification.... wish I was out of state, my Scout would look, sound, and perform a lot different... but at least I can ride it year round hahaha Life is a series of trade offs.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It does say "Air Box and Filter Media", in the "What's Included"... but I agree, looks just like the stock Box from the outside, one can only hope it is different on the inside... I guess all is speculation until it becomes available, I have a $100 loyalty coupon from my Orange County Dealership, so I will be making the purchase when it becomes available either way.

·
Rider
923 Posts
If it entails removing and installing a new airbox , the tank will have to be removed and one (or more ) of the frame members unbolted and removed , in order to get the old box out and install the new one . I'm guessing 2 hours labor. If you are going that far spend $40 more and buy an Arlen Ness torque box. Then you'll need a tune.

·
Registered
372 Posts
At least on the surface it looks identical to the stock box with a gauze filter, but until someone gets one to do a hands on comparison, who knows. Internals may be different.

I remember the S&S filter I put it came with a sticker with a CARB # on it that was supposedly approved for California use. But being it's hidden under the tank, I highly doubt anyone would notice it's been changed during an inspection anyway.

·
I want to go fast.
1,268 Posts
Yeah, I wasn't particularly impressed with the Indian "performance" airbox when it looks to be a K&N on a slightly different box. I went with the Trask replacement on the Bobber. Assuming it arrives tomorrow I'll be installing it.

·
Registered
372 Posts
The stock airbox is almost pressed on to the throttle body. It takes a LOT of effort, prying, wriggling, ect for it to let go. There's no hidden clamp or latch or anything, although it might seem so. People have said they managed to get it out with only removing one frame rail (avoids having to jack the center of the bike up and re-align the holes), but that seems like it would make life awfully difficult. I removed both. Support the engine with a floor jack, since the bike will "taco" up a little when you pull the second rail off. Once the new filter is on, just adjust the jack until the bolt holes line up and slip the bolts back through. Not a huge deal.

·
Rider
468 Posts
The new scout intake is a slightly modified version of the torque box by Arlen Ness. Arlen ness actually got the contract to design this intake but Indian didn't want the movement of the tank to be slightly upward so it's modified so the tank sits in it's original position. The picture is nothing like what you actually get. The housing is completly removed from the bike

·
I want to go fast.
1,268 Posts
I can't compare to the Indian version, but my Trask is performing very well.

·
Rider
468 Posts
Ok.. So I just received my intake from indian for my scout. The airbox is similar but the stock one has a tunnel inside of it where the performance one is all open so does receive quite a bit more air than stock. Also come with a k&n type filter. At cruising speeds it doesn't seem too different but I do feel a better throttle response when opening her up and you can actually hear the intake pulling in air. For $100, I'm happy with it. Comes with a calibration card as well but if you have an exhaust and it's already tuned for that you should be fine. My Scout is calibrated for the Indian exhaust so I didn't need to add another calibration with this intake and she runs perfect

·
Registered
617 Posts
Anyone have any feedback as to whether this part made a difference? I bought a 60 today and had $500 worth of free accessories with free instillation, so I had them add the intake. I figured if it was free, why not. Just wondering if its a worthwhile upgrade.

·
Bronze member
1,488 Posts
The OEM intake has the air going through a 6” long tube at an angle towards the front of the bike, then hard “U” turn back to the throttle body. The Indian performance intake is a straight shot down basically. I bought and installed one on my Scout 60. You can install yourself. You will need a secure anchored wheel chock (IMO) and a jack. Both side/ frame tubes need to come off unless you just like fighting stuff. Otherwise easy to do. While I had the OEM air box/intake off, I installed NGK Iridium plugs. The front cylinder plug is under the intake. I will admit the S&S probably flows more air. The Indian HP intake comes with a flash card. I did not use mine, or plan to. You will still have the factory de-tune RPM issues at 7k<> unless you use a PVCX from Dyno Jet to remedy that ( for the Scout 60).

·
Registered
178 Posts
The OEM intake has the air going through a 6” long tube at an angle towards the front of the bike, then hard “U” turn back to the throttle body. The Indian performance intake is a straight shot down basically. I bought and installed one on my Scout 60. You can install yourself. You will need a secure anchored wheel chock (IMO) and a jack. Both side/ frame tubes need to come off unless you just like fighting stuff. Otherwise easy to do. While I had the OEM air box/intake off, I installed NGK Iridium plugs. The front cylinder plug is under the intake. I will admit the S&S probably flows more air. The Indian HP intake comes with a flash card. I did not use mine, or plan to. You will still have the factory de-tune RPM issues at 7k<> unless you use a PVCX from Dyno Jet to remedy that ( for the Scout 60).
I said this over a year ago and posted in the regular Scout section with photos. Why would anyone pay anything for this intake when you can modify yours for free? The K&N filter is half that price if you want it. Remember it flows better - but also allows more dirt in than the stock filter... But this should be a FREE upgrade. Just cut your stock air box and you do not even need to remove it from the bike!

·
Bronze member
1,488 Posts
Mine was a gift. Besides the inside of the OEM still looks like it would create turbulence if you cut the tube out. I agree that if I were buying from scratch the S&S or similar would be a better solution(IMO), and flow more air.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.