Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to wear prescription glasses and was wondering if that would be better than a FF helmet? Thanks everyone for the help on helmets.

·
Founding member / platinum
10,005 Posts
It helps, but I wear glasses too and it is almost zero problems with a normal full-face helmet.

The modular ones do have some advantages but that only equates to seconds of inconvenience with a regular helmet for a LOT of extra money for that convenience with a modular.
They weigh more than a regular full-face but can be opened going down the road and cause a rather large wind pocket when raised.
A lot of BMW riders swear by these helmets, but seldom see them worn by other brands, go figure!
They are a weird lot anyway! I know, I own a BMW R1200C. ;):)

·
Bronze member
3,045 Posts
when I wear a full face... cold or long distance riding... I wear a modular... I too have prescription lenses... they are noisier than a regular full face... but in town or stuck in traffic the advantage of being able to flip up the front out weighs the noise in my opinion..

Reactions: Geoff-3

·
Registered
210 Posts
I recently bought two new helmets to go with my new roadmaster. I like the protection of a full face but the modular allows a little more convenience. flip it up and you can talk as if you were in a 3/4 helmet. I really like the drop down shade because I do have to wear prescriptions and they never tint enough. My Pack Talk bold fits great in them as well. for me putting glasses on or off is something I have to do after the helmet is on which is the same for an open face helmet. so no difference. I test drove a bike and used the half helmet the dealership provided. at hwy speeds I could not see well at all because my glasses were vibrating or buffeting in the wind. I will definitely not go that route unless I have eye surgery to do away with glasses. The helmets I got were hjc max II and I really like them. they were under 2 benjamins. plus I added some of my own graphics.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
I have the LS2 as well. I really like the modularity . I usually ride with.the chin guard up unless highway driving. Very easy to flip open and put glasses on. I also use the packtalk bold. The helmet has remanufactured spots for the speakers. Also easy to mount the boom mike.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I recently bought two new helmets to go with my new roadmaster. I like the protection of a full face but the modular allows a little more convenience. flip it up and you can talk as if you were in a 3/4 helmet. I really like the drop down shade because I do have to wear prescriptions and they never tint enough. My Pack Talk bold fits great in them as well. for me putting glasses on or off is something I have to do after the helmet is on which is the same for an open face helmet. so no difference. I test drove a bike and used the half helmet the dealership provided. at hwy speeds I could not see well at all because my glasses were vibrating or buffeting in the wind. I will definitely not go that route unless I have eye surgery to do away with glasses. The helmets I got were hjc max II and I really like them. they were under 2 benjamins. plus I added some of my own graphics.
Just wondering if you were test riding the Roadmaster with the half helmet? With the windshield at correct height for rider you should be able to just see over it, but not get any buffeting. I wear a half helmet and can ride with no glasses if I chose, I have zero direct wind and can raise my hand above my head before catching any. Properly set up, is less fatigue, better visibility and to me more enjoyment riding. I also seem to have become sensitive to wind noise in my ears and sitting in a pocket it is very tolerable. I don’t want to go to ear plugs etc because of safety concerns such as not hearing approaching cars etc.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Shoei helmets have channels in the liner for glasses.

·
Vendor / bronze
2,846 Posts
I where a half helmet for very short rides. I like a modular for all other rides. The flip down shade is great especial when the clouds keep going in and out. The Florida, Georgia heat is special. It is nice to flip the entire face up while sitting at a stop light . I don't wear glassed but it seems much easier with a modular helmet.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I test drove a 19 dark horse with the half helmet. I adjusted the windshield at every position and it made no difference for me at 65mph. All I could see was a blur. Hit the next off ramp and cruised some low speed city driving. Have not had that problem with the modular helmet. Being able to flip the chin bar up at speed under 45 is nice cause you get so much more ventilation. So far I dont ride much with the face shield down it does not feel like the vents give me enough breeze. It is possible the half helmet was too big. It was a loaner. So maybe that was the case, I would be clearly of buying one though. First impressions and all.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I wear prescription glasses, and a modular helmet (Schuberth C4 Pro) is just a piece of cake to get on/off with the glasses on.

·
Bronze member
4,686 Posts
I have a Shark Evoline 3 that can be worn full face of with the chin piece flipped to the rear. It's easier for me to put my prescription glasses on than some of the full face helmets I've had in the past. It's not comfortable for me to have the glasses on first - the helmet moves them as it goes on.

I generally have to cut slots in the padding for the stems of the glasses to sit in. I've got a wide head and most helmets don't accommodate me and my glasses very well.

Here in Australia we sometimes talk of 'footy heads' and 'melon heads'. Footy heads are narrower, like a football. Melon heads are wider and rounder. I'm the classic melon head. Helmets are easier for footy heads, and more difficult for melon heads with glasses.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
I have a Shark Evoline 3 that can be worn full face of with the chin piece flipped to the rear. It's easier for me to put my prescription glasses on than some of the full face helmets I've had in the past. It's not comfortable for me to have the glasses on first - the helmet moves them as it goes on.

I generally have to cut slots in the padding for the stems of the glasses to sit in. I've got a wide head and most helmets don't accommodate me and my glasses very well.

Here in Australia we sometimes talk of 'footy heads' and 'melon heads'. Footy heads are narrower, like a football. Melon heads are wider and rounder. I'm the classic melon head. Helmets are easier for footy heads, and more difficult for melon heads with glasses.
I am similar. Both Shoei helmets that I have used (Neotec and J-Cruize) have worked well for me.

·
Original member / Distinguished
5,726 Posts
Just wondering if you were test riding the Roadmaster with the half helmet? With the windshield at correct height for rider you should be able to just see over it, but not get any buffeting. I wear a half helmet and can ride with no glasses if I chose, I have zero direct wind and can raise my hand above my head before catching any. Properly set up, is less fatigue, better visibility and to me more enjoyment riding. I also seem to have become sensitive to wind noise in my ears and sitting in a pocket it is very tolerable. I don’t want to go to ear plugs etc because of safety concerns such as not hearing approaching cars etc.
I wear ear plugs every time I ride and have no trouble hearing things of importance like sirens. I only have one functioning ear so I do have trouble figuring out in which direction the siren is coming from but the ear plugs are not the cause of that. That's the result of just one ear drum working. I will say this about wearing ear plugs. You do have to acclimate or get used to the new sound. That take me about a mile or less. It is a different type of sound until you get used to it.
I test drove a 19 dark horse with the half helmet. I adjusted the windshield at every position and it made no difference for me at 65mph. All I could see was a blur. Hit the next off ramp and cruised some low speed city driving. Have not had that problem with the modular helmet. Being able to flip the chin bar up at speed under 45 is nice cause you get so much more ventilation. So far I dont ride much with the face shield down it does not feel like the vents give me enough breeze. It is possible the half helmet was too big. It was a loaner. So maybe that was the case, I would be clearly of buying one though. First impressions and all.
I don't know about your helmet but my Nolan has less air flow with the face shield up. With it down I get plenty of air flow. I can really feel the difference when it's up versus down. So you might want to check or test yours. you may also be blocking the air flow with it up.

I do flip the whole thing up in stop and go traffic and traffic lights. Or when slowly riding under 45mph if I want. It's no big deal at that speed. Anything over that and you might have a sore neck the next day.

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
I wear a modular helmet also ,I like them because they are so versatile and like most modern helmets they nearly always allow a cut out section for glasses to be worn. I wear hearing aids and can never wear them with any helmet I have had because once you try to take the helmet off the hearing aids go flying past you as if it was jumbo jet on the run way ready for take off lol.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts