Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little background: My normal commute is around 5:30 am through a 20 mile section of the Angeles National Forest. The Forest Service forbids cell towers and dislikes street lamps, so being able to see clearly is a priority.
And you can't just run the high beams all the time as the oncoming, jacked up 4X4's have enough light on their overhead racks to light up a runway. And I don't want to have to pull over until my night vision returns.

On Day One it became painfully apparent that the Quartz-Halogen bulb in the Dark Horse wasn't going to cut it.
I also had no interest in installing secondary driving lights (like the Chieftain's), or little LED's like the Twisted Throttle Denalis (which I have on another ride). For now, I wanted to keep the front end clean.
Since this was not my first Rodeo, I have a couple of boxes full of alternative bulbs from previous projects.
Stepping past the UltraStars, I pulled the Headlight Cover (PITA the first time, much faster thereafter) and installed a 3800 Lumen Cyclops Adventure H4 equivalent LED. A pair of these bulbs on my Weestrom will have oncoming traffic flashing their headlights at me, even on low beam.
For this application, the Cyclops worked pretty well, putting out a nice puddle of light in front of the bike at speed. The high beam was also acceptable. Since I had no oncoming headlight flashers, I'll assume that the low beam didn't annoy oncoming traffic.
The issue I had with this installation was with shadows and artifacts from the Dark Horse reflector. The reflector, while pretty clean with a Halogen, wasn't happy with the vertical divide in the LED array. Dark spots are what you look for (dirt and gravel kicked onto the road, or animals lurking on the road edges), and the shadows made me jumpier than I should be at that hour of the morning. If you're not riding in the pitch black, in the mountains, and you're on a budget, an LED might fit the bill for 'ya. (2015 VCM and up, of course).
I saw the Ironhorse projector headlight referenced in a couple of places, looked at the light patterns in the videos, and figured I'd mount one up and see how well it worked, (remember, I'm the dummy with a "box full of bulbs from previous projects"?).
Nothing much to report from the install. It was straightforward and took about an hour. The headlight bucket is ABS plastic, so trimming per the online instructions only took left and right handed Dutchmen (aircraft tin snips). A good pair of short kitchen shears or diagonal cutters might be a good alternative. I would not suggest any kind of knife. The headlight bucket material is going to spring back on you with bad results.
So, how do they work? Very nicely indeed. You get a nice lit spot directly in front of you at approximately legal cruising speeds. The projectors keep the beam centered in the road so you don't get the "bedazzled" traffic signs on the side of the road. Nice sharp beam cutoff with the bike tilted going around corners. The high beam is centered in the road, with a good lit distance but it doesn't light up the surrounding hillsides like the bulb does. I have had - zero - headlight flashes from oncoming traffic, so far.
More expensive than a bulb, and less expensive than the Roadmaster LED light (which I haven't tried).
And personally, I dig the Art-Deco look.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hello Enzo, it was great meeting you, too.
AFAIK, there would have to be some complementary wiring in the handlebar controls.
The Dark Horse only has low and high beam (no driving lights), and the connector on the back of the headlamp is a standard 3 blade plug.

Dave

·
Registered
17 Posts
Got it....I think. So what you showed me yesterday was Low Beam (no Running lights) and Hi Beam (w/Running lights) Correct?
Hey guys, I run IronHorseLights and was happy to see my product made it to this forum before me.

Faultline (or Dave), as you have seen on my website, I run low on photos, and was wondering if you mind if I used your shot on the product page. By the way, thank you for the positive review.

Enzo, to answer your question, if you get only the headlight (which Faultline/Dave did), you get low beam and high beam only. If your bike has driving lights (or spot lights as some call them), then that's a separate upgrade. Regardless which lights you upgrade on the bike, your controls and wiring does not change. If your bike has already driving lights then you can upgrade them to the Chief Can See LED driving lights. If not, then you can only upgrade what you have, namely the headlight. The wiring is all plug-and-play (disconnect factory bulb, plug in LED light).

C.R.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
C.R. Sure, feel free to use that shot.
At least for once I'm not on the face-plant page.

Reactions: C.R.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Is your company considering any coupon code offers for Forum members. Some of us old cheap bastards just need a little push to pull the trigger on upgrade items.
Short answer: No codes, no sales, not now, not in the future, but it's all with good intent (see long version below on reasoning).

Long(er) answer: When I shop for goods, I personally am annoyed by coupon codes, keeping an eye for a sale, wondering if the sale is good enough, or if the next sale will leave me wishing I had waited. I believe I am passing down to you a better shopping experience if there are no coupons or sales, and everyone pays the same price, everyday. I stand behind a fixed, uninflated price, and hope you can appreciate the value in that. There is also a decreased cost of running a business when using this approach, and the product pricing does reflect this cost saving measure, as well as others I like to use.

·
Registered
53 Posts
OK... I looked and looked, read and read till I about popped with silly, then I stumbled onto this thread starting with Faultline situation. I live in BF Arkansas, I have 12 winding miles of Deer Xings and then another 40 when I get out of town to work in Southern Mo. My Tacoma had pretty outstanding lights and my Ram with 120k lums LED spot is awesome sauce, but not practical. Thus, what is an old biker going to do to solve he eyesight problem. Well Like Faultline, I am a bit precipitous, "all in" or nothing and this was the best "all in" I have done in a while. I bought two, one for my RM and one for my DH as I will be riding both as long as it is not too nasty and my commute often starts me off or returns me to the house at 0 dark 30 am or pm

The Dark horse was a slight pain with the spit front and the bolts on the back of the housing. Although once I turned the bars I was able to easily access these pesky 5mm bolts from the back without issue. The hardest part after I got my head out of my arse was unplugging the halogen as it was like molasis in January, not budging, but tenacity won the day. The next step was a quick snip with tin snips up the top and a dremmal to smooth out the top of the headlight housing. Two small whisks on either side at the bottom of the housing opening and she fell in love. The light fell right in her new home. A quick bolt up and shazam power on and what a light!. I need to find out how to post the before and after mpgs.

The RoadMaster took all of 10 minutes start to finish no joke. 2 allen bolts on each side of the faring chome cover 3 10 mm bolts hoding the housing, 4x screws holding the bezel, two snips with tin snips and a clean up with the dremmel and back to start.
Land vehicle Headlamp Automotive lighting Vehicle Motor vehicle
Headlamp Automotive lighting Automotive tire Tire Vehicle
Land vehicle Motor vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive lighting

It was just past dusk and I took the DH round the block and I can only say that it was outstanding to be able to actually see, no tracers, dark spots or jiggles, just pure shunshine right where I needed it.

I figured I got two lights for the price of one and frankly 2x the light as well. The Pathfinder is 399 + silly for an install totaling $550 for the DH one hour labor for the RM.

Packaged like a champ in great polysty "stuff" although no paperwork inside, I am cool with that as I was a mechanic in my previous world, but newbies might need some distructions.

Not only can I "see" but the look is fantastic kinda a mod retro new-age feel which actually adds to the style, the warranty can't be beat and they were delivered in 2x days. Now this is what I call value. CR great stuff bro! My wife is a photographer and we will get some good shots and post them for you.

GO look see at Indian Chief Headlight - LED Projector - Chief Can See and tell them Poppy sent you :)[/QUOTE]

·
Founding Member
429 Posts
I will have to consider the driving lights. Were they direct replacements for the stock or did you need to make any Mods?
I had my shop do the install. If I understood the technician correctly, the headlight took a small mod, the driving lights were drop ins. Call Ironhorse or check out their website.

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
OK... I looked and looked, read and read till I about popped with silly, then I stumbled onto this thread starting with Faultline situation. I live in BF Arkansas, I have 12 winding miles of Deer Xings and then another 40 when I get out of town to work in Southern Mo. My Tacoma had pretty outstanding lights and my Ram with 120k lums LED spot is awesome sauce, but not practical. Thus, what is an old biker going to do to solve he eyesight problem. Well Like Faultline, I am a bit precipitous, "all in" or nothing and this was the best "all in" I have done in a while. I bought two, one for my RM and one for my DH as I will be riding both as long as it is not too nasty and my commute often starts me off or returns me to the house at 0 dark 30 am or pm

The Dark horse was a slight pain with the spit front and the bolts on the back of the housing. Although once I turned the bars I was able to easily access these pesky 5mm bolts from the back without issue. The hardest part after I got my head out of my arse was unplugging the halogen as it was like molasis in January, not budging, but tenacity won the day. The next step was a quick snip with tin snips up the top and a dremmal to smooth out the top of the headlight housing. Two small whisks on either side at the bottom of the housing opening and she fell in love. The light fell right in her new home. A quick bolt up and shazam power on and what a light!. I need to find out how to post the before and after mpgs.

The RoadMaster took all of 10 minutes start to finish no joke. 2 allen bolts on each side of the faring chome cover 3 10 mm bolts hoding the housing, 4x screws holding the bezel, two snips with tin snips and a clean up with the dremmel and back to start. View attachment 35173 View attachment 35174 View attachment 35175

It was just past dusk and I took the DH round the block and I can only say that it was outstanding to be able to actually see, no tracers, dark spots or jiggles, just pure shunshine right where I needed it.

I figured I got two lights for the price of one and frankly 2x the light as well. The Pathfinder is 399 + silly for an install totaling $550 for the DH one hour labor for the RM.

Packaged like a champ in great polysty "stuff" although no paperwork inside, I am cool with that as I was a mechanic in my previous world, but newbies might need some distructions.

Not only can I "see" but the look is fantastic kinda a mod retro new-age feel which actually adds to the style, the warranty can't be beat and they were delivered in 2x days. Now this is what I call value. CR great stuff bro! My wife is a photographer and we will get some good shots and post them for you.

GO look see at Indian Chief Headlight - LED Projector - Chief Can See and tell them Poppy sent you :)
[/QUOTE]
Thank you for posting your photos. I have been considering the driving lights as well as the Iron Horse lights and been searching for photos to see the look on a DH. Your driving situation is much different than mine and I feel best to keep the stock headlamp for better daylight riding and swap the driving lights with the Iron Horse LED's for the times I ride at night. Now I have to stress over whether to go with blacked out or clear LED's.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I like the look of the blacked out headlight in the DH. When you put the driving lights on the turn signals look like and after thought and don't flow well. would be nice to incorporate a halo ring for the turn signals in the driving lights.

Reactions: Plateblocker1

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thank you for posting your photos. I have been considering the driving lights as well as the Iron Horse lights and been searching for photos to see the look on a DH. Your driving situation is much different than mine and I feel best to keep the stock headlamp for better daylight riding and swap the driving lights with the Iron Horse LED's for the times I ride at night. Now I have to stress over whether to go with blacked out or clear LED's.[/QUOTE]

Actually, LED will offer better visibility in the day as well, the stock is sub-servant to most LED's it puts out less heat and draws less juice. Not sure what the down side is except more outlay of case, but hey, boats and bikes are for safe fun and where else would you spend your hard earned cash.

Peace and safe ride

·
Registered
53 Posts
I like the look of the blacked out headlight in the DH. When you put the driving lights on the turn signals look like and after thought and don't flow well. would be nice to incorporate a halo ring for the turn signals in the driving lights.
Do you have any examples you could point me to look at?

·
Registered
1,756 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thank you for your business, kind review and referral. :D May I use these photos on the IronHorseLights website?

View attachment 35181 View attachment 35182
Here are my Iron Horse lights. Headlight and driving lights. Really like these lights.
Same question for you sir, regarding the photos. Would you mind if I used them on the IronHorseLights website?

I will have to consider the driving lights. Were they direct replacements for the stock or did you need to make any Mods?
The driving lights are direct replacements, plug-and-play, with no other mods needed.

·
Founding Member
429 Posts
Same question for you sir, regarding the photos. Would you mind if I used them on the IronHorseLights website?

The driving lights are direct replacements, plug-and-play, with no other mods needed.
Please feel free to use the photo on your website. Indian Motorcycle of Fredericksburg did the install for me at my request, the technician was so happy with the install he gave a presentation of them at the last IMRG meeting. It is a huge improvement over the stock lights that were on my 2014 Classic.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Please feel free to use the photo on your website. Indian Motorcycle of Fredericksburg did the install for me at my request, the technician was so happy with the install he gave a presentation of them at the last IMRG meeting. It is a huge improvement over the stock lights that were on my 2014 Classic.
Thank you. Your pictures are up there now, on the headlight page (Indian Chief Headlight - LED Projector - Chief Can See) & driving lights page (Indian CHIEF CAN SEE - LED Driving Lights - LED Projectors).

There are a few Indian dealers who are looking to stock up on my products. If your local dealer's interested, please point them to the IronHorseLights.com website.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I had this light installed before I even put my first mile on my DH.
In my opinion you can't be bright enough on a black bike !!
Definitely worth the $289, and looks way better !!

Reactions: C.R.

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
I made a post several posts back about perhaps staying with stock headlamp. After nearly getting ran off the road yesterday due to a SUV's quick lane change on me... may reconsider swapping headlamp out for LED since they do project a different light that may catch the attention of inattentive drivers.

·
Registered
150 Posts
C.R., I see from one of your responses above that you run IronHorseLights. After hearing about your product at my local IMRG meeting and reading about it on this forum I was very interested in a set for my '15 Chieftain, but after visiting your website and going to the contacts link, I was disappointed to find that you state that communication is by email only, no phone. Call me old school, but a vendor that wont take the time to discuss their product over the phone with a potential customer kind of puts me off. The fact that you wont speak to me before the sale does not invoke any confidence in your support after the sale. When you don't have a barrel of cash to spend, you have to shop wisely, and in my book customer service plays a big part. You can generally get a feel for a company by the way their reps treat you on the phone but a company that will not take the time to even speak to me will not be getting any more of my time, or money. Some of us old Geezers on the site born before the internet and online shopping existed, still like knowing that there is a person on the other end of the phone who is proud of their product and actually enjoys educating people about it. Just some food for thought.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.