Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I got in about 430 this morning. I made the 1020 miles in around 19 1/2hrs....it was the most fun, miserable trip ever!

I left Vegas at 630 thinking I could beat the cold thru flagstaff on ih40. I was wrong, my bike said 28 degrees a few times and all I had was my riding jacket and winter gloves. I was definitely not prepared! So I stopped in Williams, AZ and spent the night.

Williams, AZ to Horseshoe bay, TX was 1020 miles, I lucked out and started the next morning. I was glad I did, as it was a beautiful ride!!

Everything was great the whole ride, until the last 200 miles. Last night Texas got some good weather. Fortunately I only caught a little bit of it, but I caught it on some 2 lane back roads. I guess it kept me up LOL.

All in all this was an amazing experience! Its very surreal on a bike riding at night with a storm out in the middle of nowhere. The chief did great, I saw 54.5mpg running ih40 at 80mph too!

Now for the worse part the paperwork LOL
20200524_192910.jpg
20200524_085711.jpg
20200525_051219.jpg

·
Read Only
416 Posts
Great ride and congrats on the Iron Butt. I will second the comment on "you da man" doing it without a windshield.
First Saddlesore was way back in 2001 at 1,115 in just over 17 hours (Knoxville to Amarillo)
First Bun Burner was the same year, 1,637 in 35.5 hours
I wouldn't even consider doing either of those or another without wind protection. Good for you... (y)

·
Rider
816 Posts
Noice!! Awesome feat, brother.
I've been planning an attempt as well. Possibly this week, weather permitting.
I'm worried you cut it a little close on the mileage tho. I hope you get the certification.

now sleep

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Noice!! Awesome feat, brother.
I've been planning an attempt as well. Possibly this week, weather permitting.
I'm worried you cut it a little close on the mileage tho. I hope you get the certification.

now sleep
Why? It was 1020 miles...

·
Rider
816 Posts
On your bike's odometer. Most riders run 1100 or so to make certain there are 1000 road-ridden miles. I'm no expert. The IBA will do the math and I hope you pan out well. Good luck to you
Beautiful chief there, and I bow down to you for doing it w/o a windshield. You're a badass.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On your bike's odometer. Most riders run 1100 or so to make certain there are 1000 road-ridden miles. I'm no expert. The IBA will do the math and I hope you pan out well. Good luck to you
Beautiful chief there, and I bow down to you for doing it w/o a windshield. You're a badass.
Ah yes, Google maps says 1013 miles. They go off of that, is what i read on the site. They require the pictures of the odometer and fuel receipts to get a round about where you actually traveled. I hope its good, i do not want to do it again anytime soon!

Thank you! Kinda a right of passage imo to be a motorcycle rider. Take a bare bones bike and ride it across the country, that way one day i can really appreciate a fairing and windshield LOL. I do not know how they did it in the 60s on rigid choppers, maybe they were just THAT high LOL

·
Rider
1,031 Posts
Congrats on your ride! You're tougher than I am Sir! I noticed there are no bugs on your headlight, nice that they don't like cool temperatures

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

·
Rider
441 Posts
Congratulations, there is a tremendous feeling of satisfaction in completing and Iron Butt and you earned it... especially without a windshield/fairing. Gas station receipts are the perfect way to verify an IB ride along with the obligatory photos of the odometer at the start and finish but they will take the photos with a grain of salt due to the inherent error in many bikes. When I submitted my paperwork they approved my ride at 1,020 miles when I had ridden 1,071 in 18 hours. I appealed {pointing out that my route - as documented by the receipts} took me further south than they originally acknowledged and they issued a corrected certificate.

(y)

·
Bronze member
1,218 Posts
I
Well I got in about 430 this morning. I made the 1020 miles in around 19 1/2hrs....it was the most fun, miserable trip ever!

I left Vegas at 630 thinking I could beat the cold thru flagstaff on ih40. I was wrong, my bike said 28 degrees a few times and all I had was my riding jacket and winter gloves. I was definitely not prepared! So I stopped in Williams, AZ and spent the night.

Williams, AZ to Horseshoe bay, TX was 1020 miles, I lucked out and started the next morning. I was glad I did, as it was a beautiful ride!!

Everything was great the whole ride, until the last 200 miles. Last night Texas got some good weather. Fortunately I only caught a little bit of it, but I caught it on some 2 lane back roads. I guess it kept me up LOL.

All in all this was an amazing experience! Its very surreal on a bike riding at night with a storm out in the middle of nowhere. The chief did great, I saw 54.5mpg running ih40 at 80mph too!

Now for the worse part the paperwork LOL View attachment 591286 View attachment 591287 View attachment 591288
welcome to the club

Reactions: Mr.Niceguy

·
Bronze member
2,206 Posts
Awesome and getting 50+mpg on top of it too, congrats

Reactions: Mr.Niceguy

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Congratulations, there is a tremendous feeling of satisfaction in completing and Iron Butt and you earned it... especially without a windshield/fairing. Gas station receipts are the perfect way to verify an IB ride along with the obligatory photos of the odometer at the start and finish but they will take the photos with a grain of salt due to the inherent error in many bikes. When I submitted my paperwork they approved my ride at 1,020 miles when I had ridden 1,071 in 18 hours. I appealed {pointing out that my route - as documented by the receipts} took me further south than they originally acknowledged and they issued a corrected certificate.

(y)
Yes, when i submit im sending in a map and circling the towns i stopped to get fuel in. Kinda crazy how everything varys in mileage so much.

·
Bronze member
1,941 Posts
I must have slept the whole way. Didn't feel a thing. LMAO.gif

(Well done BTW)

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Congratulations! Well done.
I'm planning on checking my first ironbutt off my bucket list in August with the first Southeast Iron Butt Tour Charity Ride. Anybody in the Southeast that wants to ride an Iron butt for a good cause - Operation Homefront - Join us!

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Congratulations! I'll 5th or 6th everyone else on "you da man" with no fairing/windshield.

I did one last year in July from Charlottesville VA to KCMO. 1100 miles in 19 hours. I didn't know what the rules were for the Iron Butt so I didn't take photos with the receipt and odometer. Maybe the next time I'll do it proper. It was a hot sunny day for the entire trip so my key to success was hydration. 700ml smart water bottles in the Indian bottle holder carrying a cooler with spare bottles. I'd drink one between each gas stop.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Congrats as well. Two riding buddies of mine and myself completed our first saddle sore 1000. We started in Fulshear TX at 5:00am on friday got to I10 and stayed on it till we arrived at our hotel in Tucson Az after 11:00pm. We thought being on the interstate it would be easier being able to see 80mph in some areas where permitted. We only took the minimum breaks to fill up and down some fluids. Temps in west texas reached 100 degrees. My bike lost power as we approached elapse. But restarted as I slowed down. Next day we rode north through the Coronado trail hoping to get the bun burner added. But the winding roads really slowed us down and we came up about 200miles short. Next day we rode up to ridgeway colorado and back down the million dollar hwy. Then down through Madrid and attempted back into texas. But my battery failed and we were dead in the water on memorial day. Had to trailer the bike to Albuquerque NM. Got me up and running by noon. Arrived back in houston this after noon. That was an amazing ride!

·
Registered
117 Posts
I’ll be honest...don’t really know the ins and outs of how these work. I want to try it though. I’ve probably come close on some weekends. I’m like a kid who doesn’t even like to stop and pee. I’ll ride out in the morning, come back and take my wife out for a day ride and then drop her off and head right back out.

Congratulations on the run.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts