Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since new have had the following problem: I press the start button and absolutely nothing happens. This occurs more often but not exclusively when the engine is warm.

Through the years I’ve tried various things including replacing the starter now three times. I tried under cutting the starter looking for dead spots there are none. I’ve tried replacing that little relay that’s a square centimeter on side black plastic box with flat spade connectors protruding from it. This has had no effect. I’ve made sure all the ground cables involved in the starter system are clean. The battery has been replaced as well and now I’m using one of those lithium guys which has plenty of power .
Some years ago somebody suggested putting one of those starter actuator buttons that mount directly on the solenoid. It manually engages the Bendix Drive and the solenoid at the same time. So whenever the above problem occurs I have to hop off and kneel down and press this button. When I do this it starts instantly. Then I get back on the bike.
I have to mention that in between these “attacked” the bike will start flawlessly with the starter turning over briskly I have to mention that in between these “attacks” the bike will start flawlessly with the starter turning over briskly.
If anyone has any ideas I would be happy to entertain them and grateful for the suggestions if anyone has any ideas I would be happy to entertain them and grateful for the suggestions.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I had a Yamaha Virago once upon a time that would not turn the starter if the bike was warm. Tapping on the solenoid while holding down the start worked. Have you replaced the solenoid?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for responding. In the interim I’ve done some research and this is such a common problem, a problem for which no solution can be found other than what I’m about to tell you, that a special relay bypass has been produced and is available at aardvark Motor Parts. So I’m just gonna order that I think.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Always a good experience dealing with Aardvark. 👍 Keep us posted on your progress.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Thank you for responding. In the interim I’ve done some research and this is such a common problem, a problem for which no solution can be found other than what I’m about to tell you, that a special relay bypass has been produced and is available at aardvark Motor Parts. So I’m just gonna order that I think.
You have a part number? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You have a part number? Thanks in advance.
I just looked on the aardvark site and there is no part number. It’s designated as ACE- SRK. It’s called the starter relay kit. I see they are currently out of stock. I was going to send you a picture of the page on their site but I don’t know how to upload a picture.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts