Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been running a Sunpie LED headlight for over a year with no issues and I generally like the light it puts out. Recently about 1/4 of the times I go to start the 2015 RM the blue high beam indicator flashes on the dash and the headlight does not illuminate in high or low beam. Sometimes shut down/restart one time and that brings it all back to normal. Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 recycles to get the light to come on. Earlier this week the restarts wouldn't get the light to go on ever. Next day I tried and all was good. Any ideas on loose light connection, bad light, bad switch? Thanks

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
I believe the bright light indicator flashing is that the bike is sensing there's a light out. My only suggestion would be to install a different headlight and see if the problem can be replicated and go from there.

Since you've been running it from over a year, a wild ass guess would be some corrosion in the plug. Did you use dielectric grease in the connection? If it's not the connection and since the bike seems to be communicating with the light, I'd think it's the light itself. Won't know until you swap it out.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I believe the bright light indicator flashing is that the bike is sensing there's a light out. My only suggestion would be to install a different headlight and see if the problem can be replicated and go from there.

Since you've been running it from over a year, a wild ass guess would be some corrosion in the plug. Did you use dielectric grease in the connection? If it's not the connection and since the bike seems to be communicating with the light, I'd think it's the light itself. Won't know until you swap it out.
Magoo is on the money, a intermittent fault like that is probably a connection issue at the lamp. Lamps usually either work or don't work. As it is difficult to check voltage at the lamp terminal easier to lightly rection female connectors and clean male prongs. If you can fit a dummy lead at the lamp plug, so the next time the lamp does not light up you can check voltage. This will confirm whether it is a lamp or connection issue. Also check your earth. A fiddly shit intermittent fault, good luck

·
Rider
521 Posts
There have been a few scattered reports of the connector on the headlight melting if it's not fully inserted too...

·
Registered
309 Posts
There have been a few scattered reports of the connector on the headlight melting if it's not fully inserted too...
I had that happen on my Victory Hammer, so I swapped the terminal block to a high temp and fitted a HD 6 spot LED lamp

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Magoo is on the money, a intermittent fault like that is probably a connection issue at the lamp. Lamps usually either work or don't work. As it is difficult to check voltage at the lamp terminal easier to lightly rection female connectors and clean male prongs. If you can fit a dummy lead at the lamp plug, so the next time the lamp does not light up you can check voltage. This will confirm whether it is a lamp or connection issue. Also check your earth. A fiddly shit intermittent fault, good luck
Thanks Hairy. I appreciate your help, but is there a typo here? "easier to lightly rection female connectors". You lost me in terms of what I need to do. Also by "check your earth" do you mean the ground wire connection at the battery? Thanks, Tom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts