Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a great ride out on the Scout 60 yesterday. The only slight frustration was that when I tried to use the horn just to ensure that a car was aware of me, it didn't work. I kept trying it after that and there was nothing. So after I parked up I tried again and on about the third attempt it suddenly sprung to life and then was fine. I have to conclude that I don't use it enough to keep the switch contacts clean, but I've never had that happen on any bike in the past. I'm not too bothered because if it stops working I can go to the dealer under warranty, but I wonder if anyone else has had this happen?

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The horn has been fine since the above incident; but last Friday after a long stop, the scroll button didn't work for about 10 minutes, i.e. I couldn't scroll between rpm/engine temp/trip etc. I kept trying it as I rode along, and it began to work intermittently, finally working properly again about 10 minutes into the ride home. It's been fine since, but it makes me wonder if I have a problem with the left-hand switch gear, as both buttons affected so far are located there. I just hope I don't get stuck on main beam, or with a turn signal flashing!

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'm now having the same problem with my horn, I actually use it quite frequently ( riding NJ roads ) so it's not from lack of use. It's intermittent, seems once the bike warms up it starts to work. Doesn't feel like it's the switch. Did you ever get to the bottom of your issue?

While the bike is still under warranty, I hate to spend the time going to the dealer if it ends up being something simple.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry you've got the same problem. I'm taking my bike in for the 2,500 mile inspection on Friday and have mentioned it to the tech, so we'll see what comes out of that - if anything!

·
Founding member / platinum
10,005 Posts
The horn has been fine since the above incident; but last Friday after a long stop, the scroll button didn't work for about 10 minutes, i.e. I couldn't scroll between rpm/engine temp/trip etc. I kept trying it as I rode along, and it began to work intermittently, finally working properly again about 10 minutes into the ride home. It's been fine since, but it makes me wonder if I have a problem with the left-hand switch gear, as both buttons affected so far are located there. I just hope I don't get stuck on main beam, or with a turn signal flashing!
Have you been riding in the rain.... I know, that is a silly question to someone in the UK?
I suspect that you may have had some water intrusion in the left switches.
You might look and try drying the switches out or maybe some WD-40 after all that is it's forte'.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I've ridden in the UK rain! I've also dried the switchgear carefully and sprayed ACF50 around it, which I think is similar to WD40. However, the scroll switch gets worse and worse. I did over 250 dry miles yesterday and scrolling was very hit and miss. At least as the problem becomes less intermittent and more continuous it should make it easier to identify the cause and get it sorted.

·
Registered
318 Posts
It's got to be water coming in and getting oxidation inside.
Probably poor sealing in the switch.
If that's the case it's going to be a concern on all bikes eventually!

·
Registered
318 Posts
I can't help but feel that it would already be old news on the forum if it was a fundamental design flaw. Especially as it's been doused in ACF 50.
Hopefully it's just a few!
Good thing with the 5 year warranty!
I have full confidence in my dealer and they have the best reputation in taking care of the customers!

/Ken

·
Registered
218 Posts
I bring my bike into the dealer this Saturday morning ( other than the horn issue, looking forward to it, it's a great ride and so far a good dealer ). Although I'm a dailey rider, I can't say the bike has been soaked yet. I'll post results of the service call.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll post this elsewhere as well, but for those of you following this thread, I thought you'd like to know that SMG Leicester who did the 2,500 mile inspection today, having checked the wiring to the LH switchgear, then contacted Polaris who agreed to send through a replacement unit. I was impressed by both the dealer and Polaris on this one, not least because neither the horn nor the scroll switch played up today (the latter having done so almost continuously on Monday).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts