Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading Jettim's 2000 mile review I thought I would elaborate on one of his comments regarding the attention you get with an Indian.
I used to ride a custom painted Cross Country which was nice enough to win a couple 1st place bike show trophies, but when I'd take it to the local weekly bike night where 180 bikes were Harley's and 20 bikes were other brands, I would only get about one 'nice bike' comment. Last week I made it to the final bike night of the year with my Chieftain and I had riders around my bike almost the whole night looking and asking questions.
A couple nights ago I even had some cagers eye-balling my bike at the local hardware store when I walked out. Their comment was 'it was a beautiful bike and they hadn't seen an Indian in years'.
I guess my observations are:
1.) Even though many HD riders quietly know that Victory makes a great bike, they're hesitant to give it the credit it deserves. However, show up on an Indian, which has technically been dormant for decades, and it's still considered a well respected brand.
2.) I've also found that even cagers have that 'wow, an Indian' attitude when they see the bike.
Don't get me wrong, I don't need (or want) anyone's approval on what I ride. I just find it interesting that after all these years, Indian still has instant and positive brand recognition with all riders and cagers. Victory on the other hand seems to be appreciated predominantly by previous or current Victory owners.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So what you're saying is that this bike will turn you into an attention whore whether you like it or not huh?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my guess is its only the begining for all you indian owners old and new. polaris will revive this brand like no other has been able to accomplish. if i live long enough to ever get sick of my vision , i'll get an indian,,, just because ! to me those bikes have 'heritage ' written all over them, it doesn't get any better than that . the new indians are awesome machines,,,all the attention is just a bonus ,,, rock star status if you will

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I parked my Chieftain just outside my office window so I could keep an eye on it in case someone parked too close. Almost every time someone walked past the bike they would stop and look it over. People really like the bike and appreciate that a real American legend is back in business. The engine get the most compliments by far.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I aparently ride a motercycle for a completly different reason then folks concerned about others exceptance.I must be weird, then agian I know I am! Indian smindian ride the *****!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
3406 said:
I aparently ride a motercycle for a completly different reason then folks concerned about others exceptance.I must be weird, then agian I know I am! Indian smindian ride the *****!
I don't think the OP cares either, he was just making an observation.
Same thing is happening to me.
On my Victory it was ' who makes that ? '
On my Indian it's ' WOW, what a nice Indian '

The only thing that really matters to me is when i'm sitting on the seat rolling down the road and it makes me happy.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
4010 said:
Now you know how Vision owners feel . . .
Vision owners definitly draw a crowd and no one mistakes you for a HD that's for sure.
It seems those I do talk to about Victory all know about the Vision, like it or not they associate the Vision with Victory.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LOL Yeah there are many bikes out there and Harley seems to dominate the streets, so they don't get noticed too much until there is something special about it, like older than dirt.
I own and ride 3 Harleys, a 98 Electraglide, that disappears in any parking lot. My 76 Bicentennial FLH gets some attention mainly because of the tank shifter, white leather seat, and the kick starter. Most people just ask if it has electric start or say they don't want a stick shift motorcycle, they are too dangerous. My favorite comment is about the 'SUICIDE SHIFTER' (there is no such thing a suicide shifter, it's a suicide clutch with a hand shift, which mine is not) My 1950 FL draws attention just about everywhere it goes from young and old, but I usually only get questions about what year it is.
The only bike I've ever owned that got crowds and continuous comments was my 76 Triumph Bonneville. It got constant thumbs up while out on the roads from the cagers and other bikers, and a crowd of older folks telling me about the bike they had back then.... The Indian is such a bike. Constant thumbs up and people flocking around it at the gas station and parking lots. I've had a few comments about Indian went out of business in '53, a few stories about the bike back then and a whole bunch of talk about the hill climbs we had here in the 50's. So yeah, the Vintage gets the Automatic COOL designation.
EASY

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
3406 said:
Dude you are way too cool for school lol. We all ride bikes cause we love to, but there is always a part that loves the attention we get on a bike, so top trying to be cool and pretend all that matterd is the ride. No where did he say thats the reason why he rides it. I have three motorcycles, and each one i ride for a different reason, and when i stop on my Hard Ball, and I have guys roll down their window and say 'Holy shit man, that is a beautiful bike', that is an awesome feeling.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I love how Indian hit everyone in the back of the head with the Chieftain. It bodes well for the future of the brand that they have managed to stay true to the tradition and yet are moving forward . . . just like they said they were going to.

The Chieftain is just a downright great motorcycle and you guys are right to be proud of your new scoots. While not the point, as you guys stated, it's still a very nice bonus to ride a bike that brings so much pleasure to those who see it.

Enjoy the attention and the crowds while it lasts . . . which should be for the next several years!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I agree with Hardball79. I am not looking for attention, but just love riding my Raider, Vision, and soon my Indian Classic. You can't help but being noticed on anything else, but a HD. Dad's coming out of their minivan, women oushing their shopping cart, and all other people from different walks of life always strike up a conversation. And that is just part of the fun of riding. No, I am not an attention whore, but I am also not a snob who ignores people.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm a narcissistic attention whore so my garage walls are covered with mirrors. Lol. There's no denying it that at times the attention is great, like when a pretty gal ignores my friends BMW and compliments my bike, can't deny it, that's fun. But after a couple years of strangers talking to you at gas stations, restaurants, etc...meh, sometimes anonymity is nice too.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
4902 said:
I'm a narcissistic attention whore so my garage walls are covered with mirrors. Lol. There's no denying it that at times the attention is great, like when a pretty gal ignores my friends BMW and compliments my bike, can't deny it, that's fun. But after a couple years of strangers talking to you at gas stations, restaurants, etc...meh, sometimes anonymity is nice too.
Then go ride a Honda :p

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bought the High-Ball because I couldn't stop looking at it, so actually it's my bike that's the attention whore. However, I get all giddy when people flip out over the bike. hehe. The matte paint and rat-bike persona really appeals to some folks. The pipe wrap and scotch-brited pipes being an indicator.. People like that 'thrown together in garage' look.

They're probably thinking 'Wow look at that cool blacked out bike with that unbelievable tool riding it!' LOL!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's the 'different' and yet 'familiar' of wht Indian is. The Judge I ride gets nice compliemnts but nothing like 'Oh my God a JUDGE!!' I'd park one of my old sporties (cafe/streetfighter/bobber thing) and have gawkers, stares, blah blah blah. It was a customized bike that looked familiar and everyone wanted to know what it truly was and about the work I did to it. Joe Public knows what an Indian is, and hasn't seen them in regularity so I imagine it is driving the curiosity. They're also beautiful machines!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts