Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not so old to have a long memory in fact I think I have forgotten more than I know. As I approach the precipice of indian ownership a life long desire I thought it prudent to become more knowledgeable about this brand. In reading on Company Overview website I read the following statement.

"In 1940, all models were fitted with the large skirted fenders that became an Indian trademark, and the Chief gained a new sprung frame that was superior to rival Harley's unsprung rear end. The 1940's Chiefs were handsome and comfortable machines, capable of 85 mph (136 km/h) in standard form and over 100 mph (160 km/h) when tuned, although their increased weight hampered acceleration."

As I read through members posts, with my drool soaked napkin. I read about members scooter experiences and how the rear shock travel makes it much more enjoyable then a Harley and even my favorite couch on wheels (goldwings). Anyway, here it is 74 years later and it seems history is repeating itself. I only hope the backing of Polaris and its long arms will discontinue the start up and shut down of this iconic brand and they will continue to improve on this brand securing this MADE IN AMERICA LEGACY.

Thank you all for the posts you share, if God is willing I'll mount my Chieftain in the new year.

Keep the Shiney Side Up!

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,041 Posts
Howdy Dirtygss,
Welcome; and you won't be sorry. Just returned from a turn through the Davis Mountains and what can I say? Glory...

·
Registered
638 Posts
History teaches us we learn nothing from history. Indian needs to be better managed and be more innovative and progressive than in the past in order to succeed in a challenging economy. The new Scout indicates that Indian (Polaris) understands this. The brand needs good products an good prices, great service, and especially lots of young riders or it will flounder. Once young riders get on high quality Indians and are treated well by dealers they will understand brand loyalty and the legacy shall continue.
My 14 Chief Classic #126 is still a rolling dream and has met my demanding expectations at 4,400 miles. Next test, 5k service and many more miles.......

1 - 3 of 3 Posts