Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Talked to a guy who supposedly talked to a guy in an undisclosed location.;) He said don't be surprised if I saw a "Black Indian", "Old Paint" and maybe a Tribute. I did not connect with any of it and he said all the manufacturers like to do a no color bike. Harley did a Sportster, Night Train and Ducati did a Dark. Why not a "Scout Black" with everything blacked out. Now that Indian is doing bi-color they could do a Scout tank design like the old Scout. A tribute could be the red, white and blue like the WOD bike. Sounds good to me.

duc-1.jpg
scout-1.jpg
XLX-1.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Thunder black smoke is a matte black :rolleyes:

Reactions: Edward Walsh

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Talked to a guy who supposedly talked to a guy in an undisclosed location.;) He said don't be surprised if I saw a "Black Indian", "Old Paint" and maybe a Tribute. I did not connect with any of it and he said all the manufacturers like to do a no color bike. Harley did a Sportster, Night Train and Ducati did a Dark. Why not a "Scout Black" with everything blacked out. Now that Indian is doing bi-color they could do a Scout tank design like the old Scout. A tribute could be the red, white and blue like the WOD bike. Sounds good to me.
If they did a WOD production Scout that would be awesome; I'd buy one right now. I'm sure the beautiful exhaust on that bike wouldn't pass federal regs, but they could offer it as an "off road" accessory.

The hints from Indian indicate there's a lot more they're going to do with the Scout frame, and my imagination can get pretty wild.

Reactions: harry

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Too small for me. My feet hang six inches past the forward controls. I was leaning a bit forward for the hand controls since they were lower given my stature. I know other guys have said this bike is good for people at 6' but everyone is different and I stand 6'1" with a 36" inseam so for me, the bike isn't comfortable. I also weigh 185lbs and with gear weigh about 195.
That said, the bike is well composed and spirited. A little weak on the torque from a stand still compared to what I am used to dealing with on my other Indians and my Chieftain. I felt like I had to wind the engine up a bit more than I do my other bikes right off the line. Nice power band once you are in motion. I kept missing the rear brake pedal for some reason but I attribute that to not knowing the bike and only riding it for about 25 minutes.
Brakes are good and linear. I experienced some pogoing of the rear suspension going over the bridge connectors. Almost the feel of an old El Dorado but only two to three bounces after the hit rather than the five to six with the Caddy. Nothing abrupt nor did I feel a bottoming out of the bike. Almost the opposite in that the ride felt softer than my Chieftain which the wife and I rode down that morning.
Transmission shifts very smoothly. I wouldn't mind a bit more feedback from that to be honest. There were times I'd switch into gear and wasn't sure if I felt the shift happen. Again, not knowing the bike, I'd probably grow used to this. It was difficult for me to estimate where to shift the gears on this bike given the lack of engine noise and exhaust note. The whirring noise of the gears is far more intrusive than the engine.
Fit and finish on the bike seem up to snuff. A few paint imperfections were seen around the bottom edge of the front fender but over all the bikes looked good.
Now, the wife was thrilled. The bike fits her perfectly and she loved it. She definitely wants louder pipes. She had zero problems handling the bike and was complimented by the ride captain on her skills. The dipshits waiting with us in line had been giving her grief for being the only female rider waiting for the Scouts. Kept asking her if she was looking forward to seeing the passenger seat. Luckily, she kept her redhead temper in check and let her riding do the talking. She's going to be very happy when her bike arrive next year. We solidified what she's having done for the paint job and it'll be cool, retro, and compliment the lines of the bike.
We had a nice conversation with Richard Christoff, the designer of the Scout. Gave him some history on the Gilroy days that he was unaware of and he filled us in on the new Scout. According to him, with a change of a few things, springs, cams, etc, the bottom end of the new Scout is good to go for 140hp. That's straight from the designer's mouth. That's exciting to hear but my wife feels the power on the Scout as it is completes her riding experience nicely.
While I am aware that I could get the extended forward controls and the extended saddle to makes this bike fit me better, this is my wife's Indian. I have seven others to ride so I am quite satisfied with Polaris' offering for her.

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Loki, thanks for your review of the Scout. Very interesting assessments. I will see about them when I do a demo ride this coming weekend. :)

·
Founding member
1,522 Posts
The new Scout is a blast to ride, balanced, powerful and smooth as glass. It is low in the seat but when you ride that low center of gravity is a great plus. It's fun to ride, made me feel like I was in complete control of the bike.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Don't want to ride the scout. Every time I try out a different bike I almost always buy it. I don't have room any more now that I live in a townhouse.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Don't want to ride the scout. Every time I try out a different bike I almost always buy it. I don't have room any more now that I live in a townhouse.
I am the same way with Red Heads, the reason I have been married three times. The one I am with now went in and put 10000 in my account and said get that Indian you want call it an early retirement gift. She's a keeper!

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
I am the same way with Red Heads, the reason I have been married three times. The one I am with now went in and put 10000 in my account and said get that Indian you want call it an early retirement gift. She's a keeper!
Definitely a keeper :D Happy retirement Caveman :D

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
I bought my own Chieftain (early retirement gift to myself), but she just paid for 10 days in Jamaica (keeper as well.)

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
I bought my own Chieftain (early retirement gift to myself), but she just paid for 10 days in Jamaica (keeper as well.)
That is awesome, she definitely is. Enjoy :D

Thanks, Retirement is March 2015, but with all my leave I am close.
Happy early retirement then :D Not much longer. :D

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
That is awesome, she definitely is. Enjoy :D

Happy early retirement then :D Not much longer. :D
Enjoying both. Just got back from Jamaica and now have to wait for spring riding. Might just have to take another southern trip in February.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts