Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This article was in today's Milwaukee Journal Sentinal Business section. A few very interesting commnents in here. What do you think?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think there are several positive things that can be gleaned from this article. One is that Polaris may have hit a homerun with the new Indian motorcycle. While it's hard to say from just a couple months sales they seem to have nailed the market for these motorcycles. The target was/is HD and if they were to just take 5% of sales from HD in the first year that would be around 12,500 motorcycles. That's pretty good I would say. If they were all the cheapest model of Classic Chief it would figure out to $237 million in sales. We all know from the response we've seen here that the least expensive model is not going to be the majority of sales. The revamping of the Spirit Lake facility kind of says they underestimated demand.
Also there does appear to be pent-up demand for another motorcyle with 'hertiage' in the market. It will be interesting to see how this develops over the next couple years but I'd say barring any major faux pas sales will continue to be strong.

Another point, I say this is good for motorcycling in general. I suspect we will see a new Victory engine and transmission design in the next 1-2 years which will benefit Victory. I also sespect we will see at least 1 new model Indian each year for at least the next 5 years.

I think It's about to get real interesting. Stay tuned.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If they sell 12,500 Indians that will be about double Victory sales. Anything is possible. The are beautiful bikes.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
2009 said:
If they sell 12,500 Indians that will be about double Victory sales. Anything is possible. The are beautiful bikes. 
Victory is selling closer to 16-18k bikes a year. It'll probably take Indian at least a few months to get their line up to the speed of the Victory line, meaning they won't exceed Victory's sales until MY2015.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
4902 said:
Victory is selling closer to 16-18k bikes a year. It'll probably take Indian at least a few months to get their line up to the speed of the Victory line, meaning they won't exceed Victory's sales until MY2015.
Not sure where you heard that but those numbers are almost double the real numbers. I think there has only been one or 2 years they ever exceeded 10k bikes in one model year.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
2610 said:
Not sure where you heard that but those numbers are almost double the real numbers. I think there has only been one or 2 years they ever exceeded 10k bikes in one model year.
I heard it from the people making them. As in the factory dyno operator telling me how many bikes are dyno'd (completed) a day. Since there are no real numbers, Victory doesn't release them, what I go buy is what the line workers have told me.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If my funds were good I would order a Chief Vintage or Chieftan just from the pictures.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Glad to see Indian is taking the market the way it is .. Good Competition is good for all involved no matter what you ride ..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good news indeed. It will improve bikes for everyone across all brands. It has been reassuring to hear people want some of the technology Indian is already using.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There are so many NFL/AFL people up in arms abouth the 'Redkins' and even Obama has been saying things. So if people are wanting a name change and logo will they want one for the Indian motorcycle

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
4902 said:
I heard it from the people making them. As in the factory dyno operator telling me how many bikes are dyno'd (completed) a day. Since there are no real numbers, Victory doesn't release them, what I go buy is what the line workers have told me.

But how does this reflect the number of bikes sold?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
6272 said:
But how does this reflect the number of bikes sold?
If you have a good idea of how many bikes are leaving the factory you have a pretty good idea how many bikes Victory is selling.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
6736 said:
There are so many NFL/AFL people up in arms abouth the 'Redkins' and even Obama has been saying things. So if people are wanting a name change and logo will they want one for the Indian motorcycle
All this was dealt with back in 99, no worries about the Indian Motorcycle name.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
1169 said:
Yup, as soon as they get big someone somewhere will try to get a piece of the pie im sure. 
Yep. There hasn't been a big deal made out of the Redskins name for a decade or more. But as soon as RGIII breaks records and takes them to the playoffs they're back at it. I also question the term, 'so many NFL/AFL people up in arms'. I tend to think it's actually a very small number of people doing their best to make a lot of noise. We had a thread about this awhile back and the point was made repeatedly by the protestors shown in Andy's video that, 'any race based names and logo's are offensive'. Doesn't matter if the Indian head is stoic like the Redskins and Indian Motorcycles logo...or silly like the Cleveland Indians logo. They're all race based and therefore fodder for protest and lawsuits.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts