Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently took my 17 Chieftain limited into the shop due to a bad gear position sensor. I was told I also need my intake manifold boots replaced. When I asked if both of these were warrantied he couldn’t give me a straight answer. Is there any reason these wouldn’t be covered under the warranty? I bought the five year extended last year when I bought the bike.

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
Just opinion, but why not? These are meant to last and they produce all kinds of problems if they leak vacuum as in becoming cracked or brittle.

·
Bronze member
3,043 Posts
those are not wear items... time is the only thing that will hurt them.. should be a warranty item... but why would they be cracked already?... I smell somthin fishy

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just opinion, but why not? These are meant to last and they produce all kinds of problems if they leak vacuum as in becoming cracked or brittle.
Any thoughts on why there would be intake manifold problems at only 9000 miles?

·
Bronze member
3,043 Posts
No reason except for sloppy handling by service techs or assemblers.
or a dealer that wants to make a buck... sorry don't know the dealer but the warranty (extended) covers anything not a wear item and if the dealer didn't know the boots were not a wear item....

·
Registered
445 Posts
I had to replace mine at 25 k bike will stole out down shifting
And will run Ruff
It was crack and had to be replace

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
or a dealer that wants to make a buck... sorry don't know the dealer but the warranty (extended) covers anything not a wear item and if the dealer didn't know the boots were not a wear item....
The dealer hasn’t specifically said it wasn’t covered by the warranty, but if they claim that it’s not I’m definitely going to make an argument for why it should be.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update: The intake manifold boots are covered under the warranty. When I asked about the gear position sensor they claimed that there isn't anything wrong with it. That's the reason I brought the bike into the shop in the first place!!! The bike never knows which gear it's in and I specifically have the error code
523 spn 2 FMI
P0914: Gear Sensor Signal. Signal Fault

Am I missing something here?

·
Rider
737 Posts
Did they explain why there's a fault code for it? I'd raise the BS flag, it sounds like this shop might be jerking you around, or they're inept.

·
Super Moderator
4,789 Posts
Update: The intake manifold boots are covered under the warranty. When I asked about the gear position sensor they claimed that there isn't anything wrong with it. That's the reason I brought the bike into the shop in the first place!!! The bike never knows which gear it's in and I specifically have the error code
523 spn 2 FMI
P0914: Gear Sensor Signal. Signal Fault

Am I missing something here?
If there isn't anything wrong with it, then why is there a fault code for the sensor? Let them answer that.

·
Bronze member
3,043 Posts
no your not... but there is a thread in the maint. forum that Indian sent out a advisory about a month ago... it said that cleaning the gear position sensor needs to be done during the 10K service... your dealer should know this... your dealer should do this... but I doubt that would be under warranty as it is a PM item.. and this is the exact symptom of a dirty sensor..

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The dealer just called me back a few minutes ago and stated they re-flashed the ECU which should hopefully fix the problem.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts