Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Rider
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been researching what motorcycle insurance costs, short answer not much for not much coverage to alot for some coverage a person might actually need. When I compare rates and talk to different companies, they are pretty consistent when it comes to comprehensive and collision, liability to others, but it gets whacky when you talk about uninsured motorist and medical coverage. Medical payments I guess are supposed to cover injuries to you regardless of who is at fault, but only up to a relatively small amount, $10K is the max you can get most places, and that is like 3-4 hundred a year just for that. What if if the injuries are more than that? Well then the at fault driver's insurance is supposed to kick in, but what if he doesn't have any? They say your own health insurance is supposed to kick in.(Does it?). Then the real major add on in cost in Florida is uninsured motorist coverage, something like a third of the drivers do not carry personal injury protection, so if you get put in the hospital by one of those and all the other insurance is tapped out, you are in trouble. My quote for uninsured motorist was $600. Put it together and the bottom line ranged from 1200-1400 a year (quotes from Progressive and Liberty). I know a few motorcycle drivers, not many, but none of them are paying anywhere close to that. So I thought would ask, what are you all doing for insurance?

·
Founding member
1,515 Posts
I have had excellent service from Dairyland. And several of my riding buddies have too. But I've noticed that several posters on here cuss them three ways to Sunday. So you know, one mans ceiling is another mans floor.

·
Bronze member
1,769 Posts
You don't say your location or your age, makes a lot of difference. If you are retired and have Medicare your health is covered.
I went with Dairyland, full coverage for $416.00 a year.
I think in his post it says Florida
And his avatar shows 59

That said. If you haven’t already. Check GEICO
They ended up being the cheapest price for us for the coverage limits we have

·
Bronze member
1,594 Posts
GEICO here, but I haven't checked everyone. They were better than Progressive though, who I originally had. My wife and I have pretty thorough coverage and pay about $1,000 a year for both of our bikes.

·
Founding member / distinguished
5,478 Posts
My new BMW S1000R was quoted at $700 per from our State Farm agent, $1000 from another State Farm agency.

Geico did it for $165 annually.

I think State Farm charged me about $370 annually for my '17 Vintage. Geico would have beat that by quite a bit too.

I'm 67, clean driving record, living in Western South Dakota, so my insurance should be about as cheap as it gets.

·
Registered
52 Posts
57 here, All State Insurance, full coverage, $396/yr. Low deductible, $200,000 injury protection, uninsured motorist, all the bells and whistles.

·
Registered
321 Posts
There are too many variables to really get an exact answer here as to what you'd experience in your area, but all 3 bikes listed below fall into the $200-275/year range through State Farm. The Indian is $213. I'm 43 and in Denver. That is for this coverage:

Liability - Bodily Injury / Property Damage
$250,000 each person / $500,000 each accident / $100,000 each accident
$500 Deductible

I also have a homeowner's policy, an SUV, and a personal liability umbrella policy. I get multi-line discounts and accident free discounts. I've also been with State Farm for 27 years. The few times I've shopped around in the past, nobody else could even touch them price-wise, even the cut-rate companies.

While we are on the topic of insurance in general, if you do not have a personal liability umbrella policy, get one. It is stupidly cheap, like $12-15/month and it adds 1 million dollars (or more if you want) on top of your other coverage. When I bought it, I was forced to also "max out" the totals above to 250/500/100. That did cause all my stuff to go up a bit, but it wasn't much.

With our completely moronic and uncontrolled profit-based healthcare system in the US, it is not hard to imagine insanely expensive hospital bills, and its also very plausible to wipe out a $100k vehicle these days. A few days in a hospital can easily be a couple hundred grand now. With nothing else riding on top of your vehicle policies, if they ever get maxed out, the rest is right out of your pocket. I know a friend of a friend that lost a house and everything in this exact situation. Went bankrupt. Anyway, just a heads-up on that. I didn't know such a thing existed until I heard that story, then called my agent the next day....

·
Founding member
2014 Red Chief Classic
1,052 Posts
Switched from GEICO to Allstate here in Florida. I dropped the health coverage as I have P&T VA, full coverage rate is now $103 per year.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Take mine with a grain of salt but at 27 years old I was thrilled to only pay 600 a year for full coverage with Geico all my other quotes were north of 1500. Geico even likes me so much they put liability on my Victory for 15 bucks a year.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm with Motorists Insurance Company and I keep pretty heavy coverage on all my vehicles. I have 250/500k with uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage. I then have a million dollar umbrella policy that covers my house and vehicles with underinsured and uninsured coverage as well. My 2018 Chieftain Limited costs me $556 a year with these limits. The key with any insurance isn't so much if you have coverage to cover those expenses if you injure someone but rather what coverage you have to cover yourself if you get hit by an uninsured or underinsured motorist. I'm 47 in NE Ohio.

·
Registered
381 Posts
'18 Chieftain - $680 for full coverage, full replacement value coverage, $1M liability, $500 deductible. 46 M, never had a claim in my life.

Of course, I'm in Canada, where everything is wicked expensive.

·
632 Posts
There are too many variables to really get an exact answer here as to what you'd experience in your area, but all 3 bikes listed below fall into the $200-275/year range through State Farm. The Indian is $213. I'm 43 and in Denver. ....
You are absolutely right...tons of variables impact the cost. I received my latest premium notice and almost fell out of my chair when I saw Progressive increased the annual rate by $80.....bringing the total cost to $680. I have no tickets or accidents...so set up a meeting with my insurance agent to look for options. Apparently payouts in my State (WA) are the cause....nothing I did. After some review, we found a much better rate through another company which lowered the rate to around $420 a year for the same coverage. That’s still high, but I’m a much happier camper.

·
Bronze member
1,319 Posts
I pay a lot for my insurance but when I consider I live near an army post I can almost understand why. I don't think I've ever encountered a worse disciplined bunch when it comes to driving. A myriad of different driving styles and a terrible infrastructure will keep our rates rather high, I imagine. I pay $600/year for minimum coverage with $3,000 accessory coverage.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts