Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I purchased my 2014 Chieftain, I promptly called my insurance company (Geico) to get my bike insured. I was almost floored when I was told $900 for the year. Since I had already paid a large chunk of that on my last bike, I just paid the difference and was good until Jan 2015. Since that time, I have called them all to price what it was going to cost me in 2015. The best seemed to be Dairyland at $525 per year (full coverage of course). I was ready to change when I received my renewal from the Gekko. After one year of claims by others and the repair cost of the Indian... the lizard priced my 2015 renewal at $434 / year full coverage for Dallas TX. I am happy with that price and will stay with them again.

I suggest you check with your insurance company when it comes up for renewal and see if what you are paying is still the proper price for your ride.

Semper Fi,
DrZ

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
DrZ you are so right! It pays to check around and keep those insurance companies on their toes! I check every couple of years and find their is always a better price!

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
When I purchased my 2014 Chieftain, I promptly called my insurance company (Geico) to get my bike insured. I was almost floored when I was told $900 for the year. Since I had already paid a large chunk of that on my last bike, I just paid the difference and was good until Jan 2015. Since that time, I have called them all to price what it was going to cost me in 2015. The best seemed to be Dairyland at $525 per year (full coverage of course). I was ready to change when I received my renewal from the Gekko. After one year of claims against the Indian... the lizard priced my 2015 renewal at $434 / year full coverage for Dallas TX. I am happy with that price and will stay with them again.

I suggest you check with your insurance company when it comes up for renewal and see if what you are paying is still the proper price for your ride.

Semper Fi,
DrZ
Hi mate I am in OZ & with Swan insurance full coverage on my 2014 Vintage punches price of $32,000 cost $525.00 to insure on my 2013 Triglide $61,000 cost $720.00 the prices are about average when compared with other company's

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
When I purchased my 2014 Chieftain, I promptly called my insurance company (Geico) to get my bike insured. I was almost floored when I was told $900 for the year. Since I had already paid a large chunk of that on my last bike, I just paid the difference and was good until Jan 2015. Since that time, I have called them all to price what it was going to cost me in 2015. The best seemed to be Dairyland at $525 per year (full coverage of course). I was ready to change when I received my renewal from the Gekko. After one year of claims against the Indian... the lizard priced my 2015 renewal at $434 / year full coverage for Dallas TX. I am happy with that price and will stay with them again.

Semper Fi,
DrZ
Cant get it that inexpensive in Canada..

·
Registered
154 Posts
I had to switch my insurance when we got the Roadmaster. I had Progressive for 5 years on my previous ride but staying with them would have been over $1200 a year.... Went with Shelter and for better coverage and a cheaper deductible its under $400 a year. (Full coverage through both companies) I'm sure different parts of the country have different rates.

·
Founding Member
659 Posts
Poppa, your numbers very similar to mine. Had Progressive on last bike, was quoted $1025 on my Vintage, picked up same coverage from Rider for $400 and change.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
When I purchased my 2014 Chieftain, I promptly called my insurance company (Geico) to get my bike insured. I was almost floored when I was told $900 for the year. Since I had already paid a large chunk of that on my last bike, I just paid the difference and was good until Jan 2015. Since that time, I have called them all to price what it was going to cost me in 2015. The best seemed to be Dairyland at $525 per year (full coverage of course). I was ready to change when I received my renewal from the Gekko. After one year of claims by others and the repair cost of the Indian... the lizard priced my 2015 renewal at $434 / year full coverage for Dallas TX. I am happy with that price and will stay with them again.

Semper Fi,
DrZ
Just got my renewal from TD Primmum.. Indian and my wife's bike both went up over $200.00 each. gonna go rate shopping tomorrow. they want $1125.00 for the Chieftain and $627 for my 2002 Vulcan 800 last year it was $925 and $438.00 with no claims. I am pissed

·
Banned
1,841 Posts
I've been with Dairyland for years. Take an Advanced Rider's Course and get an alarm for your bike for discounts.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I insured with NRMA .... the premium is $420 per year, and if the bike is totalled or stolen (up until it's two years old) they supply a brand new replacement bike. A great deal.

·
Founding member
932 Posts
In my younger days worked at auto body shop. Would ask my boss why were some cars sitting around for weeks. They were waiting for insurance company to settle claims. Sometimes you get what you pay for. My cars and bikes are insured by Progressive. $400 per year for Indian. People tell my my wife looks like Flo.

·
Registered
216 Posts
The insurance on my 2012 Victory Cross Roads is $328 per year with Progressive (in Maryland). The quote I received from Progressive for my new Chieftan is $900. Wow!
I just did an on-line quote for my Chieftan with Daryland (thanks for the tip guys), and it came back at $450. I sure like that a lot better!

·
Registered
160 Posts
I had been with Progressive for 10 years, insured multiple bikes, great rates and even a claim.Never had a problem and was happy with them.

Got the Indian and they wanted $1100 a year. Wow!! Changed to Geico for $375 a year, comparable coverages.

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
Digging up an old thread - specific to Chieftains.
Yesterday I was modifying an auto insurance policy with my Allstate agent. Since they carry the house and cycles, they offer a better package deal.
Note: last time I researched coverage for our bikes, Gieco may have had the lowest rates on strictly bike insurance (keeping all coverage parameters the same), but not more than a few dollars. It wasn't worth the move after factoring in the Allstate discounts, so this isn't really about a specific carrier.

Looking at my invoices, I noted my wife's Chieftain (2016) costs about $100/yr more to insure than my Roadmaster (2017). ???? That did not make sense. The agent had to go to "corporate" for an answer. Here is what she sent me.

Hi there!
As per Allstate... the difference in premium for the 2 motorcycles is... Allstate goes by Experienced Group rating System... which is the statistics per motorcycle/vehicle and the loss performance was higher on the 16 Indian then 17 Indian and that is where the rating difference comes into play.
Hope this helps...
You have a good eye...

Thank you!
OK that satisfies my curiosity on the invoice. But, leaves me with the nagging question -- why?
Apparently, Chieftains have more claims than Roadmasters. Is it because more Chieftains are sold than Roadmasters making the statistical pool larger?

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,877 Posts
I'm thinking likewise that Chieftain sales are greater that Roadmaster sales.

·
Registered
30 Posts
There is also a difference in rates for how the bike is classified chieftain is a cruiser and Roadmaster is a tourer. Cruiser rates are higher than tourer rates

·
Founding member
741 Posts
Though my bike is a 2014 Classic, down here in Sarasota full coverage with allstate is $134 per year. My vehicles are with geico because of that companies better rates, they wanted over $400 for the Chief. Sometimes it pays to split what you're insuring.

·
Rider
600 Posts

Semper Fi,
DrZ
I'm with Geico as well, when I put the 2016 Chieftain into Winter storage end of October 2019, premiums were basically suspended, I called them the day I started riding this Spring for full coverage to begin again, my yearly premiums are $455, I am in rural Montana with light exposure to traffic and lower chances of the bike being stolen.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I had to switch my insurance when we got the Roadmaster. I had Progressive for 5 years on my previous ride but staying with them would have been over $1200 a year.... Went with Shelter and for better coverage and a cheaper deductible its under $400 a year. (Full coverage through both companies) I'm sure different parts of the country have different rates.
Ditto on Progressive, but one better! I had them on my 2007 C90 Boulevard, before I bought the 2019 Chieftain I was quoted in the neighborhood of $900. That was double the old bike but figured what the heck, I got the bill and it was like $1700, huh, what, on a motorcycle!!! Called Gieco and $325 for the year.

·
Registered
148 Posts
You absolutely have to look at your insurance each and every year before it's due for renewal. I've had Geico Progressive and then all state which has all my other policies. Last year my AllState on my vintage and wipes Can-Am was $415 a year. This year they jumped it 2 $680. I then called Progressive I'm going back to them for $375

·
Bronze member
1,934 Posts
I'm with Geico as well, when I put the 2016 Chieftain into Winter storage end of October 2019, premiums were basically suspended, I called them the day I started riding this Spring for full coverage to begin again, my yearly premiums are $455, I am in rural Montana with light exposure to traffic and lower chances of the bike being stolen.
Im in NC and mines about the same with Geico

1 - 20 of 20 Posts