Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
It all depends on your driving record, age, location and carrier. I have been quoted as high as $1100 by Liberty Mutual & as low as $380 by Progressive. Over all, Progressive and Geico seem to have among the lowest rates. These figures are for a year.

·
Registered
558 Posts
So this is gonna be a loaded question regarding Insurance. You'll see prices like LuftWolf has seen and it comes down to your comfort level. For example "Uninsured Motorist" is very expensive. "Uninsured Motorists" is for the person that isn't insured but hits you and this covers your injuries, out of work, possibility of you being disabled, etc... Some may argue "that's what health insurance is for!" Yeah, but... Also you have to look at your appetite for deductibles, comprehensive, comp, etc... Doing these things on-line is great for doing comparisons and if you want to do a lot of leg work will get you some okay deals but you can do just as well going to your trusty Agent and work with them. Unfortunately not all Insurance Agents do a great job of directing you to a coverage that is appropriate. If you walk in wanting the cheapest insurance with an attitude of "I'll go somewhere else" versus "what is the best balanced coverage and my appetite for the cost of that coverage" you get exactly what you ask for and either be very pissed when something happens or very happy your agent helped guide you.

I'm not an insurance agent or rep, my wife has 30+ years in the insurance industry in just about every aspect of Property Casualty insurance. I worked for an Insurance Company for about 7+ years as an IT guy. I've seen the consumer end of this and the company's side of things. "Yes" insurance companies seem greedy and always take your money AND "Yes" they pay claims everyday to peoples satisfaction and sometimes it seems they aren't in your court when you need them.

As my dad would tell me, "You get what you pay for."

I get very ugly about insurance because it seems like it's too damn expensive and compared to Maine, Florida is outrageous for all insurance costs.

Good luck! :D

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
I got a quote from progressive for about $850/year.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
I contacted Progressive on rates for the Scout and they said to call back. I guess they better get the rating structure into final form now. As Aln.Brown said...there are many variables that go into risk rating casualty insurance, so don't be surprised to see a wide variation of rates for this new motorcycle.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
I get very ugly about insurance in General cause pretty well every company will do whatever they can to get out of paying. They have all sorts of hidden disclaimers and in a few cases I have even seen them refund premiums when their disclaimers keep them from paying. Let the buyer beware!

·
Registered
656 Posts
It does depend on what state u live in. Our rates were A LOT higher in Colorado than they r here in AZ for the same coverage. Have not priced the scout yet but know we also will get better rate since we will have multiple bikes.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Like others have said here, it depends on your driving record, but also on how long you've had your motorcycle rating. For example, I have Allstate right now and it's like $1,200/year for me, but that's because even though I've had my car license for like 30 years, I've only had my motorcycle rating for 2 years. The agent told me that the rate would go down in good steps at 3, 5, and 7 years, so eventually it won't be too bad, but right now it's crazy. Also, I live in California, and I'm sure that's part of it as well...

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I had a Ducati and was told the rates would be higher for the Scout. Sport bike to Cruiser. Go figure. Could be cc's.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Wow, sucks to be youse guyz. I think I pay $135 / year for my Venture with State Farm. I have all my car and house insurance with them too, and have been a customer since I was 16, so maybe they like me. I probably do not have uninsured motorist though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have 4 motorcycles and the 5th soon to be the Scout. I did not have any motorcycle insurance on any of my current bikes. I thought since i will be purchasing the Scout it was time for me to get insurance. So I just purchased insurance with Allstate for all 5 and the cost is $320.00/year. My policy will go int effect on 12/15. All i will have to do now is provide the VIN for the Scout as soon as i get it.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I generally have three bikes insured and registered at a time and I don't think I was ever over $500 in total. I have had motorcycle insurance and license since 1965 so maybe a clean record and older is cheaper. In Florida I assume no one has insurance if they hit me but don't have uninsured coverage which may be the big ticket.. I do have collision, theft etc. Retired with my own health insurance and Medicare .

I had USAA for years on everything but they had me move motorcycles to progressive to save money based on their rates. I was surprised they charged me a dollar to put a friend on policy to ride with me over a year.

I also have antique bike with conn insurance in the numbers but it is basic at $95 a year. 12 harley and 14 chieftain

·
Founding member
1,522 Posts
I will be buying full coverage for my new Scout. Sounds like some people are talking about having just liability insurance which is real cheap. I'm curious now and will find out next week what my premium will be and get back on this thread.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Whenever buying any new vehicle it's good to call the bank for a okay to buy and a call to your insurance company for a quote. We tend to forget the costs when estimating our monthly payment. Remember vehicle taxes go up for a new vehicle.
I pay about $600/year for my '99 V92C and '09 Vision with full coverage on both. I have Foremost and haven't "used" them yet. I am 61.

FYI, Liberty Mutual will use OEM parts on your cages for repairs. Many companies will replace with Made in China parts today.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Whenever buying any new vehicle it's good to call the bank for a okay to buy and a call to your insurance company for a quote. We tend to forget the costs when estimating our monthly payment. Remember vehicle taxes go up for a new vehicle.
I pay about $600/year for my '99 V92C and '09 Vision with full coverage on both. I have Foremost and haven't "used" them yet. I am 61.

FYI, Liberty Mutual will use OEM parts on your cages for repairs. Many companies will replace with Made in China parts today.[/QUOTE

With all the options/price points offered can you please explain what you mean by "full coverage".

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have all the normal coverage, collision, passenger(some people don't realize you need this) and full 12 month coverage. Don't know if they still do but we use to get 9 months full coverage and 3 months where it's covered for garaged/stored damage. If you wanted to take it for service during the 3 months you had to call in for a "rider" policy. It never cost me any extra but covered me while on the road back and forth.

I had talked to my agent about dropping collision on my '99 but it was only $86.

You can go insurance poor. Just make sure you are covered for what you need. Talk with your agent and they can go over everything with you. I have been with my agent for over 20 years now and she knows what I need and want.
When I bought my '09 Vision I got the accessories on it when I picked it up so they are all covered under the policy as written to the receipt. Then I have up to $1000 for anything else I add over the years. Just remember your taxes will be based on this price when you register it.

Shop around for the best prices/policy for your location. Talk to other riders in your area. Allstate was $1200 a year for one bike. o_O

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
656 Posts
My dad always said locks keep the honest folks honest - Thanks all!!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts