Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a ton of ram mount parts and highly recommend them. That said the cleanest mount is always the best mount.

I love the HD fairing mount. High enough where you don't have to look down to check speed GPS. Low enough so it doesn't distract. Clean OME look.

The dilemma was how to make it work with the Chieftain.

1) I removed the speedo. Don't use tools. Don't pry at it. Reach underneath and behind and push it front to back. There is a tab on top so you have to get bottom out first. Push side to side and bottom. Stop when electrical plug hits the bottom of the speedo cutout.

2) disconnect electrical connector. Use small screwdriver if needed.

3) being careful, from the back push the bottom out. This allows you to angle the top and pull the speedo out without the top tab in the way.

4) I tapped into the cig lighter.

5) I removed blank under cig lighter. I then got two thin washers and placed one on either side of mount. Put it through the blank hole. Tightened and I was done.

I still need to find cooler looking washers and or paint them black. Also need to center them. It was 1:30am and I was tired. And leaving in the morn so this was a quick install.

6) remove chrome piece from front (if you have sat radio).

7) mount hockey puck aka gxm30 in front of fairing near and on top of headlight. Secure with double sided tape and or plastic ties. Do this after running shield up and down so you can see all moving parts.

8) put everything back together in reverse.

There is enough room for me to put a cig plug that has two usb and then plug my Sena or my noise canceling bose ear buds if needed.

Still working on long term solution to get audio through bike speakers. More to come on that later. For now I just plug my bose to zumo for XM radio. For pandora and music I use phone in dash.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,414 Posts
I like it but one problem. On mine I only use my Zumo 450 when I am on big trips so it is not on all the time. I think I will try either the ram mount that is on the clutch bracket attachment or the one that goes under the mirror attachment so I can use the 12 vdc plug in when I do plan on using it. Dean

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
For those that want a permanent mount with a switched power supply (only when the bike is on), there's an unused pigtail under the left side of the fairing. I wired my zumo into that. I need my fairing outlet for other goodies.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Good luck trying to find one of these mounts. They have been discontinued. Not even any on e-bay. I'm still looking. If anyone knows where I can find me please PM me.
Thanks

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,745 Posts
Good luck trying to find one of these mounts. They have been discontinued. Not even any on e-bay. I'm still looking. If anyone knows where I can find me please PM me.
Thanks
On the RAM website, seems difficult to find a specific item. I find that I have to really look for different setups to find the individual components that I need.
I wish that they just listed all of their individual pieces in a way that waas user friendly.

·
Registered
31 Posts
For those that want a permanent mount with a switched power supply (only when the bike is on), there's an unused pigtail under the left side of the fairing. I wired my zumo into that. I need my fairing outlet for other goodies.
Lots of stuff in there, can you be more specific. Exactly where is it located, its size, color, is it just a hot and a neutral or does is have other GPS plugs such as audio out, microphone jack, etc, etc.. Pics would be great !!
thanks !

·
Registered
504 Posts
I like it but one problem. On mine I only use my Zumo 450 when I am on big trips so it is not on all the time. I think I will try either the ram mount that is on the clutch bracket attachment or the one that goes under the mirror attachment so I can use the 12 vdc plug in when I do plan on using it. Dean
Dean, Kuryakyn has a chrome mount for gps bases & phone bases, much better looking than the ram mount accessories, I think it was part #1678 or 1681. Not exactly sure which one I purchased, but think it was the 1681. Looks good & power point is not affected. Somebody else on the forum used this same mount, that's how I came upon it.

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,745 Posts
Lots of stuff in there, can you be more specific. Exactly where is it located, its size, color, is it just a hot and a neutral or does is have other GPS plugs such as audio out, microphone jack, etc, etc.. Pics would be great !!
thanks !
Suddn, there are two plugs inside the fairing that are unused. On the right side is a 12vdc switched plug and on the left, by the fork is a GPS/NAV plug. DaveTPilot sells an adapter for most Garmin GPS units that will tap into the right plug that will power your unit and send the audio to the bike's system.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks Dan. I ran across the DaveTPilot thread last night and have placed an order his adaptor. I am wanting to mount the unit on top of the flat part of the dash just above the instrument cluster. Looking at your photo with the cluster removed it appears there is vacant space to drill holes from above and allow room for nuts & bolts to secure a small rectangular Ram 1" ball mount.....like the one that comes with the 660. I was just looking for your confirmation of this to be sure before I go tearing into to mine. Let me know when you can. Thanks again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts