Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Installing Rear Highway Bars

11K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  simplesam 
#1 ·
Wanted to put on the Rear Highway Bars for my Vintage. Indian charges $299 for their Rear Bars and I have heard that installing them can be a pain. Something about the bolts that need to be removed before the installation are in so tight that some can't get them out.

Does anyone out there have the Rear Bars and did you install them yourself?

#2 ·
I found a set on ebay for $199 and they weren't all that difficult to install, however I did have to modify the holes on the top part as they were drilled too close together and I had to elongate them so that I could get both bolts in the top holes. Total time spent on it.....30 minutes.

#7 ·
I paid my dealer 20 bucks to do it. For 20 bucks, what the heck - worth it to me.

#9 ·
start all 3 bolts first, tighten each one a little at a time till all three are snug then torque them down. Use a ratchet and hex socket, use a 3/8 ratchet as a 1/4 is too small (hello snap on, i need a new 1/4 ratchet please, this one is stripped) start to finish was 15 minutes, hardest part was removing the covers, bolts were tight but ratchet made easy work of it. I am not sure i could have removed them with the bikes tool kit.
Got mine on eBay for $197, bolts didn't come with it. M8x1.0x15mm from home depot work great. may be able to find chrome at Fastenall.
this should be easy for almost everyone, craftsman ratchet and hex bit sockets are less than 25 bucks all over eBay and at sears or kmart and they are a good investment if you plan to work on your indian.

#13 ·
...Got mine on eBay for $197, bolts didn't come with it. M8x1.0x15mm from home depot work great. may be able to find chrome at Fastenall...
I recently purchased a set of rear highway bars on eBay for $170 and bought fastners at Lowe's but the bolts on my 2015 Chieftain are M8x1.25x15mm. They were short on the 15mm length so bought 20mm instead and installed with no problems. Easy install with hex driver socket and ratchet.

#11 ·
I just recently fitted some to mine. The stock bolts that are holding the plastic covers are in fairly tight, definitely recommend a ratchet.

I installed mine at the Indian dealership with the help of sales rep. One of the lower holes on one side had abit of metal shavings / locktite caught inside that made it hard to get one of the bolts in fully. One of the mechanics came over to help clean and rethread the hole with a tap and it went in fine.

#17 ·
Hey guys, new to the forum. I am ordering a set of rear highway bars for my 2016 Vintage and would appreciate your feedback regarding the aftermarket ones sold on Ebay for nearly 1/2 the OEM price.
Those don't come with mounting hardware. What is the required bolt size. On top 2 sizes have been mentioned M8 1.0 x15, and M81.25 x 20, so which one is it?

Best regards,

#22 ·
Hey guys, new to the forum. I am ordering a set of rear highway bars for my 2016 Vintage and would appreciate your feedback regarding the aftermarket ones sold on Ebay for nearly 1/2 the OEM price.
Those don't come with mounting hardware. What is the required bolt size. On top 2 sizes have been mentioned M8 1.0 x15, and M81.25 x 20, so which one is it?

Best regards,
just got finished installing mine and very damn simple,takes 6 M8x1.25x20, lil blue threadlock and sit back and have a margarita and admire. no riding for me this weekend calling for friggin snow

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.