Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my stock header off my Vintage to put a gutted cat stock header on. It was VERY difficult to get off. Are there any tricks or suggestions for putting the gutted cat header on?
I have a service manual on order, but it won't get here until next week, and I'd really like to ride before then, but I gotta get the header job done to do that.
Thanks in advance!

·
Gold Supporting Member
3,248 Posts
There is a PDF version out there. If you can't find it PM me and I'll upload a link for you.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
When I did mine it took a long time to get it installed again. It's a matter of slowly fitting the pipes into the heads as the front pipe slides into the cat body.

The service manual says to install the front head pipe with the nuts finger tight. Then slide on the rear head pipe and crossover. If that front joint is tight it makes it worse. Make sure that the joint slides easily with the parts off the bike. Loosen it up by slightly spreading the cutouts and removing any crud with sanding paper.

I think I started out trying to do it without removing the left muffler but in the end took the whole system off the bike.

It's quite a while ago now so I tend to remember the high frustration level rather than the details.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
I did the Jackpot header and it was one of the more frustrating things I've attempted on the bike.
are you happy with the end result though? (Are you happy with the Jackpot header?).

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
are you happy with the end result though? (Are you happy with the Jackpot header?).
I'm very happy with my bike overall. My issue with the stock header was the heat the cat gave off. I got stuck in traffic on one of my first long rides and the cat got so hot it was painful to have my leg on the floorboard. I haven't been in that situation yet with the Jackpot so I can't comment on how effective it is as far as heat goes.

I did the Jackpot, Indian exhaust, Indian air filter and Stage 2 cams all at once so it's hard to say the jackpot has made a significant difference since I did so many things at once. After I put the Jackpot on, I stripped out my rear brake bolts so I had to ride to the dealer (only 10 miles if that) to have them tap it and reinstall. It was the first Jackpot they had seen and all seemed to be impressed by the sound. There isn't any of the tinny or pinging sound with it. One of the techs made that comment that it was one of the best sounding bikes he's heard in the shop.

If I had to do it all over again, I may have paid the dealer to do the install. It was a real pain in the ass but I'm a guy who knows little about these things and a set of proper tools would have probably helped.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
Glad to hear your happy! I’m having one installed on my bike, looking forward to the lack of heat on my right thigh and anxious to hear the new sound!

Reactions: Magoo6541

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
I used a deadblow hammer to assist with the install. The hard part is the fact that the header has three different connections that have to line up.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
This is the Jackpot header you are all talking about? Buying that gets rid of the cats and improves the sound, I'm assuming?
I am running the stock header with gutted cat. Removal and reinstall was required.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
232 Posts
I gutted mine last fall, I needed to give the joints a shot of WD40 to get them apart, I would give them a shot if there was problems reassembling them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts