Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of buying backrest and mount from eBay for my Vintage...Anybody ever install one of these ...looks like a simple bolt on....any tips would be appreciated.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Be extra careful when handling the ECM. You'll be removing one of the bolts that holds it down for access. Also make a slice on the leather piece that covers the entrance of the back rest's stem to the mount. Otherwise you'll have it bunched up against the stem of the backrest. I didn't like the way that looked on mine so I did this. Also while you're in there if you've thought about installing a trickle charger, this is the time to install the pigtail on the battery while you have all this accessible and torn down. Just a suggestion. 20150125_165953.jpg

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your tips...already put a trickle charger lead on the batt....just dumb luck I didn't blow the ECM...didn't even know what it was at the time. Sounds like I can handle the backrest though. Got my seat and bags off now to do the dye job.
Next, I'm gonna try and cut down the windscreen. :)

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Thinking of buying backrest and mount from eBay for my Vintage...Anybody ever install one of these ...looks like a simple bolt on....any tips would be appreciated.
Bought mine on E-Bay due to wait time at dealership $148 same price as dealer. Everything fit perfect. The bolts don't come with so went to local hard ware picked up short allen bolts. If you don't have trickle charger hook up or 12V plug now is the tie to do it.

Most important do not let the ECM touch the hot side of the battery or you will be buying a new one. If you decide to install the wires.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Used your link to order part from E-Bay, I have installed mount, will install metal piece when it comes in, will make the leather/Velcro cover but don't think I will need it. Now I will buy the backrest off E-Bay then I will be ready for spring.
Thanks Burebista
You are welcome mate.
I also do not use it, but I keep it all time under the leather flap. Just in case. Actually I use it once, after I parked in a remote zone, I didnt want to give somebody the oportunity to disappear with the backrest. I left it inside one of my friends car and I covered the hole to prevent dust, bugs or water to infiltrate (it was kinda cloudy day). After that I bought myself a cover so no need to take the backrest of. I think the backrest is the most useful accesory . During the drive is fantastic and at low speed especially when you push back against a slope it will give you a better grip.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts