Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title says, I'm getting ready to install a 4 channel amp and would rather use the low level inputs. Machine is a 2015 chieftain. I installed polks MM1s up front and the older style saadlebag speakers and am not super impressed. Time to upgrade the rear speakers and install a 4 channel amp.

I've found write ups on the forum regarding converting the rear low level outputs to rca. But, I've found none for the front. This is my goal! So if it's already there please just stop me now and point me in the right direction.

Are the low level inputs/outputs, stereo, and amp built together, or have I just missed something. If someone has a schematic of the front amp wiring it would be a great help.

Even better, would be if someone has located the plug/connector Indian's using for the front amp so we dont have to cut into the front harness.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Although I'm not a hundred percent sure I'm sure the idea is the same with maybe a different plug.

How did you go about matching up the front plug? I'm just going to chop a used trunk wiring plug for the rear but not sure what I'll do to find one for the front.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I actually took a pic of the plug and counted the pins that it had and then went to molex website and matched it up and it so happens that it is used on a Lincoln automobile I found one on ebay and it works the locking tab didn't want to lock so I just used a zip tie around it to keep it together. I have a service manual for 14 and 15 indian not a 16 so not for sure if wires are different or not but on 14 and 15 it doesn't appear that there is an amp in the fairing for the front channels and if that is the case the amp is built into the radio for the front speakers. with that being the case you can take the wires that plug into your front speakers and hook them up straight to an amp more than likely on the high input side of amp. I do not have my 15 indian anymore so I can not look but if the structure is the same as the newer models there is a void behind the headlight that you should be able to mount an amp to upside down. I made a plate out of aluminum that is 8" deep by 8.5" wide attatched my amp to the plate then attatched the plate to the bike. I went with a stinger amp the only amp I could find that had all of the plug ins on the front and all the adjustments on the front, then you can just remove the headlight to adjust your gains or anything else you need to do. I also used a DSP so I could have more settings.
I hope this will help but keep in mind I am working with a 18 chieftain and I was able to remove the factory amp and mount the aftermarket amp in its place.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After reading up I'm starting to think your right, the radio module looks to be all in one for the front. However, I wonder how they're getting low level inputs to the rear without outputting low level to the front.

If theres only low level to the rear I may be able to use a splitter at the front to simplify things. Not that I wont use speaker level inputs if I have no other choice but I'd rather use low level if I can.

If you have the front audio schematics would you mind PMing them to me?

·
Registered
356 Posts
if you go to ebay they willhave them in a pdf file for a few bux you can download mine are so small if I took a pic of it it would be blurry

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No worries there. I'll have to check out ebay in the morning, that's a great idea. Thank you.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright so the NVX VADM4 I ordered is rated for .2 to 5 volt input range. So it looks like I'll be tapping the rear speaker preamps and installing some kind of LOC for the front.

·
Rider
840 Posts
Alright so the NVX VADM4 I ordered is rated for .2 to 5 volt input range. So it looks like I'll be tapping the rear speaker preamps and installing some kind of LOC for the front.
Man that amp is tiny! I'm very interested in seeing how your setup works out. If you have the time please take pics of your install and any issues or workarounds you come up with.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Will do. The amp is incredibly small but I've seen two different dyno tests that show over 100 watt rms per channel at 4ohms. Should be a decent little powerplant if I can get it working. I'll take pictures of progress as it's made. Waiting for the amp and LOC to come in and I'll get started.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was hoping to remove it, but It looks like it's an all in one system. Amped speaker outputs for the front, and preamp for the rear. Might be able to disconnect the front preamp if I pull it apart. But itd be easier and less invasive just to install an inline LOC on the front speaker outputs.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I was hoping to remove it, but It looks like it's an all in one system. Amped speaker outputs for the front, and preamp for the rear. Might be able to disconnect the front preamp if I pull it apart. But itd be easier and less invasive just to install an inline LOC on the front speaker outputs.
I was going to tell you that's your best course of action. The signal coming from the amp is fantastic and that's gets you the most out of it. It is possible to bypass but I think it's a waste

If you're still wanting fo bypass it its pins 6-9 are your speaker inputs to the amp

I'm running close to 3000watts and still retained my factory amp. Food for thought
Screenshot_20200130-075001_Facebook.jpg

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Also, did you end up installing a LOC to lower the input voltage for the amp? I think the stock amp would be outputting close to 15 volts if their spec of 50 watt rms is true (sqrt(4ohm*50wattRMS) = 14.14). That's why I'm worried about just using the high level outputs directly into an amp rated at .2 - 5 volt inputs.

I've seen your audio system. Can you explain a but of how you tapped the front?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Okay. Did some searching and it looks like you used a DSP in lieu of just a standard LOC. Still curious about if the wiring is for a bike with in integrated headunit/amp. If so I may try and repin the fronts just for fun.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Also, did you end up installing a LOC to lower the input voltage for the amp? I think the stock amp would be outputting close to 15 volts if their spec of 50 watt rms is true (sqrt(4ohm*50wattRMS) = 14.14). That's why I'm worried about just using the high level outputs directly into an amp rated at .2 - 5 volt inputs.

I've seen your audio system. Can you explain a but of how you tapped the front?
The diagram is from a 17. I have an 18. So I did something way different and cut up some RCAs to wired them into the left and right speaker wires. I kept them as high level inputs since the DSP I'm using can go either way.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nice. Ok I think im gonna forgo ripping the head unit apart just to get a look at the daughter board and just go ahead and follow your lead on this one. Once all the parts come in this week I'll start ripping into her.

·
Registered
7 Posts
im doing this on an 18 chieftain and was able to find a plug that worked no clue about a 15 though
So I have an 18 chieftain dark horse. I tried adding RCA to the rear plug as I have a separate amp to run 8in subs and tweeters in my bags. It’s all hooked up but I’m not getting any sound however I have power and the cable to the amp is correct for it turns on when hmmm head unit rude command turns on. Why is the back plug not active or is it and I need to do something else to make it work? Do I have to tie into my fronts to get sound to the back amp?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts