Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My replacement 4 inchers were pretty weak - not quite like a sewing machine but not too far off either. I installed their upgraded baffles last night and gave them a run this morning. I'm on borrowed time. Not only are these loud but the extremely tight and massive low-end rumble will shake the fillings out of one's mouth. I hear pipes that are "lawn mower loud" all the time, but these types are only loud in a harsh annoying sense. The Rinehart's sound like a cannon or the low end heard during professional fireworks. I wish they were a notch down though because they are kind douche-loud like someone is looking for attention. I'm not though - I just love the high when I ride and take in all that beautiful vibration and rumble.

What are your thoughts on "Loud Pipes"? Do you have them or have you ever?

·
Registered
950 Posts
What bike are these on? I just installed the 4” Reinhards on my brothers dark horse 111 and they’re deep and very noticeable when he’s coming and going. They’re not anywhere near douche territory, though.

Reactions: bevo1981

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine is a 2016 Dark Horse too. Did he do the baffle upgrade? That's the borderline douche category. Their standard baffles in the 4 incher's are quite tame these days. I bought a 4 inch set in '17 and they were definitely more aggressive.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Gotcha. It’s the stock baffles that came in the 4” pipes direct from revzilla. They sound fantastic, but now I really want to hear those angry pipes you’ve set up.

Mine is a 2016 Dark Horse too. Did he do the baffle upgrade? That's the borderline douche category. Their standard baffles in the 4 incher's are quite tame these days. I bought a 4 inch set in '17 and they were definitely more aggressive.

Reactions: bevo1981

·
Registered
254 Posts
I put the Rinehart on my scout and they sound awesome but they are ridiculous and in my opinion “douche loud”. On the scout the catalytic converters are in the muffler so when you change to the Rinehart you also loose the catalytic converters. I couldn’t take it on the interstate even with ear plugs. The mufflers did not have any packing from the factory so I added fiberglass packing and it helped some. I can now ride without being embarrassed by the noise. On back roads 55mph they sound good. Did the loud baffles you installed have a packing? If not adding the packing material will help some.
To answer your question I do like loud pipes and always have louder than stock pipes on my bikes. I have pipes on my roadglide that are slightly louder than stock but not enough that I can not enjoy my radio or have ringing ears all night after a 500 mile day.

·
Registered
950 Posts
The cat is in the mufflers on the scout!? I had no idea. You’re sure? That would explain why the v&h pipes are so loud.

I put the Rinehart on my scout and they sound awesome but they are ridiculous and in my opinion “douche loud”. On the scout the catalytic converters are in the muffler so when you change to the Rinehart you also loose the catalytic converters. I couldn’t take it on the interstate even with ear plugs. The mufflers did not have any packing from the factory so I added fiberglass packing and it helped some. I can now ride without being embarrassed by the noise. On back roads 55mph they sound good. Did the loud baffles you installed have a packing? If not adding the packing material will help some.
To answer your question I do like loud pipes and always have louder than stock pipes on my bikes. I have pipes on my roadglide that are slightly louder than stock but not enough that I can not enjoy my radio or have ringing ears all night after a 500 mile day.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I put on some Tabs with Zombies on my RM. The stage 1 exhaust was no where near loud enough for my taste. I do like loud pipes. And I wouldn't mind them being a little louder. But they will work for now. I always wear ear plugs anyways. The exhaust is loud, but at highway speeds the radio can still be easily heard. The stage 1s were only decent sounding to me, when you'd rap the throttle for something or accelerate quickly. Still too low for me though. But not looking back from the Zombies, they sound great!

Reactions: sapient

·
Registered
127 Posts
My replacement 4 inchers were pretty weak - not quite like a sewing machine but not too far off either. I installed their upgraded baffles last night and gave them a run this morning. I'm on borrowed time. Not only are these loud but the extremely tight and massive low-end rumble will shake the fillings out of one's mouth. I hear pipes that are "lawn mower loud" all the time, but these types are only loud in a harsh annoying sense. The Rinehart's sound like a cannon or the low end heard during professional fireworks. I wish they were a notch down though because they are kind douche-loud like someone is looking for attention. I'm not though - I just love the high when I ride and take in all that beautiful vibration and rumble.

What are your thoughts on "Loud Pipes"? Do you have them or have you ever?

What baffles are you talking about? I bought standard Rineharts with 2", not very load but sounds good.
Bought the only other baffles that Rinehart sells for the Indian 4" muffs, and they are 2.5". Perforated all the way down the baffle.

I did see some on Rinehart's webpage that were half straight pipe and the second half was perforated, but Rinehart says they don't fit the Indian muffs.

Do you have a part number? My 2.5" baffles are a tad louder, not much.
Tired Tab with Zombies and just too much for me. I like to hear my stereo, wearing ear plugs kind of kills that.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What baffles are you talking about? I bought standard Rineharts with 2", not very load but sounds good.
Bought the only other baffles that Rinehart sells for the Indian 4" muffs, and they are 2.5". Perforated all the way down the baffle.

I did see some on Rinehart's webpage that were half straight pipe and the second half was perforated, but Rinehart says they don't fit the Indian muffs.

Do you have a part number? My 2.5" baffles are a tad louder, not much.
Tired Tab with Zombies and just too much for me. I like to hear my stereo, wearing ear plugs kind of kills that.
My mistake - they are hi-flow performance. If the "high performance" ones (with the half strait-pipe) are louder than mine then they've got to be super loud ..I mean like "make you deaf" loud!

I generally don't like loud pipes either, but ...loud Rineharts? ...Like audio crack!

·
Registered
938 Posts
I also put the performance baffles in my 4“ Rineharts. Fantastic low rumble at idle and roars with a roll of the throttle. Then about 2 months ago I installed the Rinehart slimline dual header and WOW, even better. Also helped reduce a lot of the heat now that there is no cat burning up my leg!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts