Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LED BULB:
Well I took the advice of some of you and decided to purchase and install an LED bulb for my headlight. I do a lot of night driving during the week coming home from work, so upgraded lighting was important to me. I've had poor luck with HIDs in the past on my Dyna so LED upgrade seemed most logical.

This is the unit I purchased, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RE8J368/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 comes with two bulbs for a car. Figured I could use the second one if the first burns up or whatnot. If it works well then I guess I could just sell this for half my total cost.

THE INSTALLATION:
The install was almost seamless, basically plug and play. Took five minutes for the replacement. The light comes with a small ballast the size of a matchbox, which most the time I would install outside the headlamp enclosure but is so small it fit inside. The rubber seal would not stretch past the cooling element so I had to do a little cutting to enlarge the hole. I'm concerned that there is not enough airspace in the enclosure to keep the light cool. We'll see.

THE OUTPUT:
The light is much whiter in color, and at high beam is WAY BRIGHTER. I would say the low beam is a bit brighter than the standard bulb, and has a much sharper look. I'm hoping that it will get drivers attention better at night. The high beam is pretty amazing, it will definitely get everyone's attention. That is the real goal to show people I'm coming.

PICTURES:
I wish I had taken better before and after pics, sorry about that. I was in a hurry to just check it out and make sure everything worked properly. Maybe more when in the future. I wish I had taken same perspective before and after, I know, I wasn't thinking.

BEFORE
upload_2015-1-14_21-18-32.jpeg

AFTER LOW BEAM
upload_2015-1-14_21-19-10.jpeg

HIGH BEAM
upload_2015-1-14_21-19-53.jpeg

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,868 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I've been looking for a LED replacement but to no avail. Can't remember which thread (or even forum for that matter), but discussion was it couldn't be done w/o major rewire, etc. My question is will it work on the Vintage? Any one know?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
Good Post may find interest in this down the road ..

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
SDBobbyt, real nice! I couldnt agree more with your reasoning. Ive been cut off and almost ran over many times. Visibility is always one of our challenges! Good job. Ride safe

·
Founding member / Distinguished
6,027 Posts
THE INSTALLATION:
The install was almost seamless, basically plug and play. Took five minutes for the replacement. The light comes with a small ballast the size of a matchbox, which most the time I would install outside the headlamp enclosure but is so small it fit inside. The rubber seal would not stretch past the cooling element so I had to do a little cutting to enlarge the hole. I'm concerned that there is not enough airspace in the enclosure to keep the light cool. We'll see.
This is a great upgrade. Lots of extra safety for not big $.

Having mucked with the headlight myself, I am wondering how you are keeping all the dainty wires away from the very hot cooling element. That would be my only hestitation. I suppose you can always double up on the heat-shrink tubes or wrap it in some hi-temp electrical tape.

·
Registered
181 Posts
This is a great upgrade. Lots of extra safety for not big $.

Having mucked with the headlight myself, I am wondering how you are keeping all the dainty wires away from the very hot cooling element. That would be my only hestitation. I suppose you can always double up on the heat-shrink tubes or wrap it in some hi-temp electrical tape.
Hey Meggie, Your new headlight setup looks great. Maybe I missed it, but what brand is it? With the added room in yours, there should be more space for the wires and less heat worry.

·
6,027 Posts
Hey Meggie, Your new headlight setup looks great. Maybe I missed it, but what brand is it? With the added room in yours, there should be more space for the wires and less heat worry.
I'll post it on that thread, I don't want to hijack this one.

·
6,027 Posts
With the added room in yours, there should be more space for the wires and less heat worry.
That's what I'm thinking too. I was planning to double up on insulation on all the wires anyway, and there is certainly enough room. This is really a nice upgrade and now with the bigger bucket, a no-brainer.

·
Registered
334 Posts
LED BULB:
Well I took the advice of some of you and decided to purchase and install an LED bulb for my headlight. I do a lot of night driving during the week coming home from work, so upgraded lighting was important to me. I've had poor luck with HIDs in the past on my Dyna so LED upgrade seemed most logical.

This is the unit I purchased, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RE8J368/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 comes with two bulbs for a car. Figured I could use the second one if the first burns up or whatnot. If it works well then I guess I could just sell this for half my total cost.

THE INSTALLATION:

THE OUTPUT:
The light is much whiter in color, and at high beam is WAY BRIGHTER. I would say the low beam is a bit brighter than the standard bulb, and has a much sharper look. I'm hoping that it will get drivers attention better at night. The high beam is pretty amazing, it will definitely get everyone's attention. That is the real goal to show people I'm coming.

PICTURES:
I wish I had taken better before and after pics, sorry about that. I was in a hurry to just check it out and make sure everything worked properly. Maybe more when in the future. I wish I had taken same perspective before and after, I know, I wasn't thinking.

BEFORE
View attachment 5117

AFTER LOW BEAM
View attachment 5118

HIGH BEAM
View attachment 5119
It looks like you spilled a beer doing so or had too many and couldn't make it inside to relieve yourself fast enough!

Very useful post. Thanks for sharing

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
how you are keeping all the dainty wires away from the very hot cooling element
Great question. During installation I considered electrical tape, then thought it really didn't need it. Most of the wires have pretty good insulation. Then after reading your post, went to double check this morning and again didn't really think it needed it. Made it through this morning's 25 mile ride.

Time will tell.

1 - 20 of 172 Posts