Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Installed air adjustable shock on my Vintage

11535 Views 26 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  leepetersusn
Just finished this afternoon's project, installing the air adjustable shock off the Roadmaster/Chieftain on my Vintage. Install was pretty straight forward. Too many bolts to get the rear fender off, but whatever. Total of 18 by my count, but 6 only had to be loosened. Took it around the block after finishing and it felt nice, but don't have time for a longer ride tonight. Updates to follow. From input of those who have done it already, it will be a nice upgrade.

Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Tire Auto part
Reactions: aussie
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

· Gold member
6,260 Posts
Just finished this afternoon's project, installing the air adjustable shock off the Roadmaster/Chieftain on my Vintage. Install was pretty straight forward. Too many bolts to get the rear fender off, but whatever. Total of 18 by my count, but 6 only had to be loosened. Took it around the block after finishing and it felt nice, but don't have time for a longer ride tonight. Updates to follow. From input of those who have done it already, it will be a nice upgrade.

View attachment 24604
Will future adjustments require removing the fender again to add air or any adjustments? I always end up with more bolts then I started with ie first oil change I had five extra bolts and a spring. It's only remove one and an oil filter. I guess I can sell them.

· Premium Member
1,028 Posts
We went our Sunday afternoon for awhile (2 up). While the stock suspension is adequate or average, the difference was amazing. The typical sharp hits you (my wife) would normally feel with the stock suspension are transformed into a softened bump.

I set it to 30 PSI but REMOVED THE SADDLE BAGS for our short hop. (I love the look of stripped down....uhm.......motorcycles.) I'll report back after we load up and pound some miles. - John

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.