Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Installed air adjustable shock on my Vintage

11539 Views 26 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  leepetersusn
Just finished this afternoon's project, installing the air adjustable shock off the Roadmaster/Chieftain on my Vintage. Install was pretty straight forward. Too many bolts to get the rear fender off, but whatever. Total of 18 by my count, but 6 only had to be loosened. Took it around the block after finishing and it felt nice, but don't have time for a longer ride tonight. Updates to follow. From input of those who have done it already, it will be a nice upgrade.

Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Tire Auto part
Reactions: aussie
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2021 Springfield-2 Tone, 111 Stage 2
2,032 Posts
Yes, I also upgraded to the RM shock on my Vintage, was the best upgrade I've done yet.

Don't forget to readjust your belt to the Chieftain/RM spec. as the air shock does have more travel.

· Registered
2021 Springfield-2 Tone, 111 Stage 2
2,032 Posts
I own a 2014 Vintage and a 2015 Roadmaster. Both ride great and smooth. I really see very little difference. But I'm glad you guys are experimenting and upgrading to make your bike your own, it's part of the motorcycle experience!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The main advantage to me is that it allows quick adjustment of preload going from 1 to 2 up. It does give you a little better ride also as the spring tension is less and the travel is increased. I agree that the stock Vintage ride is very nice also.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.