Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished this afternoon's project, installing the air adjustable shock off the Roadmaster/Chieftain on my Vintage. Install was pretty straight forward. Too many bolts to get the rear fender off, but whatever. Total of 18 by my count, but 6 only had to be loosened. Took it around the block after finishing and it felt nice, but don't have time for a longer ride tonight. Updates to follow. From input of those who have done it already, it will be a nice upgrade.

Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Tire Auto part

Reactions: aussie

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
Congrats on the self installation. You will enjoy the air shock.... I love mine!

Reactions: WillRide

·
Registered
949 Posts
Is the air shock that much better than the Classic or Vintages? How much do they go for? 1k?(wild guess)

Also, how bad is it to take off the rear fender?

·
Registered
411 Posts
I bought mine from a company that does trike conversions for @$400. It was very easy to take the fender off. Just take your time. Well worth it.

·
Registered
949 Posts
What unit did you get? I wouldn't mind spending the money on something like suspension. High quality and ease of adding air into the unit.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Had a chance to get out on the bike for a while this afternoon. Wow! I was hoping for at least noticeable, and it was quite noticeable. Much better improvement that I was expecting. I am sure with work I could have gotten the stock Vintage shock adjusted better, but this is hands down much easier, and such a smooth ride. I put about 30 psi in (I weigh about 225, plus gear, plus junk in the saddlebags) which is just a little on the high side according to the chart in the manual, but felt good. Very happy with the upgrade.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is the air shock that much better than the Classic or Vintages? How much do they go for? 1k?(wild guess)

I am not sure what they sell for new. I bought mine as a package deal with everything that came off a Roadmaster getting a trike conversion (basically everything from the swingarm pivot back, except for the top case and seat). You should be able to find them on ebay as there are more and more trike conversions.

Taking off the rear fender is not hard, just tedious. Go slow, and find all the bolts...

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What unit did you get? I wouldn't mind spending the money on something like suspension. High quality and ease of adding air into the unit.
I just got the stock Chieftain/Roadmaster shock.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Yes, I also upgraded to the RM shock on my Vintage, was the best upgrade I've done yet.

Don't forget to readjust your belt to the Chieftain/RM spec. as the air shock does have more travel.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I own a 2014 Vintage and a 2015 Roadmaster. Both ride great and smooth. I really see very little difference. But I'm glad you guys are experimenting and upgrading to make your bike your own, it's part of the motorcycle experience!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I own a 2014 Vintage and a 2015 Roadmaster. Both ride great and smooth. I really see very little difference. But I'm glad you guys are experimenting and upgrading to make your bike your own, it's part of the motorcycle experience!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The main advantage to me is that it allows quick adjustment of preload going from 1 to 2 up. It does give you a little better ride also as the spring tension is less and the travel is increased. I agree that the stock Vintage ride is very nice also.

·
Rider
1,104 Posts

I scored one off of E-Bay for $100 with shipping. Brand new shock from a place that did a trike conversion on a RM. Will be installing it tomorrow. Think i'll take the remove rear fender route.

Reactions: Roadie

·
Rider
1,104 Posts
Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire
I did go with the rear fender remove route. it took me about two hours to remove everything. The lower inside of the fender has two 13mm bolts on each side that you can see just above the rear saddle bag support loop on the stage one exhaust. A ratchet box wrench would of helped that go faster. I did not remove those bolts all the way just enough to get the fender off. There are 5 bolts on the fender top and two down low at the front on each side. On the right side you have to remove the lower cover that partially covers the front sprocket. I put a rag on the right exhaust cover to keep from scratching the lower cover. The front of the rear fender is attached to a black plastic splash shield by three plastic rivets. To get these out remove the solid insert then withdraw the outer part of each rivet.
I like how the wiring harness to the rear fender is right at the front and disconnects easily.

Many thanks to those who posted info on the whole process.

Reactions: Shuje Sunge

·
Rider
1,072 Posts
I've actually been thinking of this upgrade on our Vintage. When fully loaded with 2 up, the stock shock barely suffices. Thanks for posting! - JJ

·
Banned
5,398 Posts
Only trade off is leaking air and some have said here theirs leak a LOT. So make it part of the starting up ritual................check the air pressure every week at the bare minimum.

·
Rider
1,072 Posts
Only trade off is leaking air and some have said here theirs leak a LOT. So make it part of the starting up ritual................check the air pressure every week at the bare minimum.
Of course....just like tires! - JJ

1 - 20 of 27 Posts