Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to go ahead and install the Aeromach Heel Shifter this last weekend since it was a little soggy outside.

IMG_2297.jpg IMG_2299.JPG

The instructions that Aeromach provides are very straight forward and easy to follow. Total install time should be about 20 minutes from kickstand down to kickstand up. (It took me 40 minutes, but I was taking photos and taking notes.)

First things, I would say that you need to cover your primary cover with a towel or the instructions recommend painters tape.

IMG_2313.JPG

Everything that you will need: Socket, 10mm open ended wrench, 8mm (5/16) Allen socket, an extension (longest one you got probably), and a torque wrench (if you are in to that kind of thing).

IMG_2312.JPG

Start by taking your 10mm wrench and removing the front shift linkage bolt from the shifter. Pro-tip: Use the open ended wrench because it sucks when you have the handy ratcheting end of the wrench pinch against the frame and then you can no longer get the wrench off the bolt.

IMG_2314.jpg

Once you have that free, it will drop and hang. Now, take your extension and the 5/16 hex head and remove the bolts that hold the whole floorboard assembly to the frame. You will "need" an extension that puts your ratchet handle on the outside of the floorboard for fewer busted knuckles.

IMG_2326.JPG

Once you have those your assembly will look like this.

IMG_2327.JPG

Place the new bolts and spacers on the floorboard assembly and prepare to bolt it back to the frame with the spacers in there. (You will not reuse the old bolts that are pictured on the ground below)

IMG_2328.JPG

Torque your bolts to 35 lb-ft if you are into that sort of thing. Now you should have something that looks like this.

IMG_2330.JPG

Now, turn your attention to the shifter. You will notice that there is a recess that is designed to accept a part... Like, you know, a heel shifter. :)

IMG_2331.JPG
(And yes... I know that it is dirty. It was raining)

Remove the 10mm nuts and the lock washers from the Aeromach shifter and do a little test fitting.

IMG_2332.JPG

Start the top bolt by hand and get it hand tight, and then move on to the bottom bolt. Get them both hand tight and then you will be good to take the wrench to them. Pro Tip: Make sure that your primary is cool as this step will have you reaching and making direct contact with the primary with most of your hand.

IMG_2345.JPG

Once you are all tight (84 in-lbs, 9,5 Nm), reattach the shift linkage to the shifter and check for any clearance issues with the primary cover. Shift a few gears by rolling the bike back and forth.

IMG_2314.jpg

You should be good to go though. I didn't have to make any fine adjustments to get it to work.

IMG_2354.JPG

Easy job, and motoring once again!

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Looks good. Looks like a lot more work than what I went through to get the Polaris version on there. I didn't have to removed anything to attach the heel shifter.

·
Gold Supporting Member
3,248 Posts
I concur. It took me about 45 minutes to do the whole job. Removing the floor board from the bracket first makes it easier to access the hex bolts on everything.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
The only thing that makes it more work is that the Aeromach shifter hugs the primary cover a little closer, so they actually kick the floorboard out with the spacers by 1/4".
That makes sense now. Didn't realise the did that.

·
Registered
674 Posts
That makes sense now. Didn't realise the did that.
just installed the aeromach heel shifter - took even less time than normal since I didnt have to use the spacers and supplied bolts for spacing the left floorboard out. Reason being - yesterday I installed the Kuryakyn spear floorboards and brake pad and the spacers were installed yesterday on both floorboards using the original bolts. Made a simple job even simpler - very happy with the look - especially with the Aeromach shifting peg ( installed yesterday ) - a real ***** to unscrew the original since loctite was added at manufacture.
2016-09-29-PHOTO-00001363.jpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts