Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Pa. and the state requires an yearly inspection of all motor vehicles. I have a 2017 Chieftain Elite and would rather not have the sticker attached to the front frame or front slider. Does anyone know of a plate that could be attached somewhere in the front left side that an inspection sticker could be placed on? thanks, Frank

·
Registered
52 Posts
When I lived in Va. the Harley dealers carried plates that mounted down by the footpegs. Perhaps a local dealer there can help you.

·
Registered
336 Posts
In Va around my area most of the cops are riders and those that arent dont know the rules for bikes. Last sticker I got on my Road Star I rode around for 5 months on a expired before Irealized it and had it done.

Point being most around here dont really care if you have it let alone if its in the right spot. Find somewhere on the left hand side of the bike and mount it. I doubt a cop will ever say anything to you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
In pa the inspection sticker has to be placed on the bike not a removable plate,my guess would be so you cant switch it from bike to bike ,some inspection stations will some wont might want to ask before you take bike in

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
When I bought my bike, they had a sticker plate attached to the brake cover on the front fender. Another place that I have seen them mounted is on the inside of the left floorboard, using one of the mounting bolts for the floorboard.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I live in Pa. and the state requires an yearly inspection of all motor vehicles. I have a 2017 Chieftain Elite and would rather not have the sticker attached to the front frame or front slider. Does anyone know of a plate that could be attached somewhere in the front left side that an inspection sticker could be placed on? thanks, Frank
I live in PA. Bought my plate at my HD dealer for like 3-4 dollars. Stainless steel looks good and is mounted to my frame. When I retired here from the Army the HD dealer asked if I wanted them to put one on my springer so that it would not go on my fork. Sure I said. Never had a problem.

When I got the Indian I bought a plate from them and put it on myself. Went to an indie and asked if he had an issue with putting the sticker on the plate. No he said. Been that way ever since. Now I have heard rumors that certain Indian dealers in this state will not put it on the plate. I have neither confirmed or denied such a rumor. In June I will be able to confirm or deny that rumor.

You can click on my signature pic to see my plate. To me, no dealer, especially one you buy the bike from should refuse to put the sticker on the plate. But everywhere there are those Barney Fifes that think that they are the law.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Here in glorius Taxachusetts ,the inspection sticker is stuck on to the top center of the rear number plate and has been this way for many years now.What signifies if the inspection sticker is valid or not is the color of it,making it easy to identify as to whether it's current or not.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Yeah, PA is still one of those states that requires a big honking inspection sticker on your bike. Primarily on your forks on the left side. By the PA DOT reg it has to be on the left side of the vehicle(cars = windshield) Bikes = anywhere on the left side. Hence the plate on the left side of the vehicle. There was talk at one time about a smaller sticker for bikes but still waiting.

Also PA removed the little stickers that used to be on the plates showing month and year of registration, but now law enforcement agencies across the state are complaining that without the little stickers to tell them if your registration is expired, they have to look up your plate number in the system. I see their point of view, especially considering the time it would take to look it up vs seeing it right there on the plate. It will probably get changed back to requiring the little stickers on the plates. Soooo I don't see PA changing their inspection stickers anytime soon if ever.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, PA is still one of those states that requires a big honking inspection sticker on your bike. Primarily on your forks on the left side. By the PA DOT reg it has to be on the left side of the vehicle(cars = windshield) Bikes = anywhere on the left side. Hence the plate on the left side of the vehicle. There was talk at one time about a smaller sticker for bikes but still waiting.

Also PA removed the little stickers that used to be on the plates showing month and year of registration, but now law enforcement agencies across the state are complaining that without the little stickers to tell them if your registration is expired, they have to look up your plate number in the system. I see their point of view, especially considering the time it would take to look it up vs seeing it right there on the plate. It will probably get changed back to requiring the little stickers on the plates. Soooo I don't see PA changing their inspection stickers anytime soon if ever.
You need proof of insurance to get a sticker in Pa. so if the police see no or a expired sticker, it gives them reason to believe you have no insurance. State police have a scaner mounted to the front of their car, so they can pull up behind you and check your plate through the computer system.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Are you talking about the inspection sticker or the old plate sticker that was required but now is no longer required?

Yes you definitely need your insurance in order to register and inspect your vehicle in PA. You do not, and are no longer issued the plate stickers anymore with your registration unless they already changed it back and made it law again.

I'm with you. I live in PA. Oh and in PA you can register for two years instead of one. When they had the plate stickers you couldn't as far as I know.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Are you talking about the inspection sticker or the old plate sticker that was required but now is no longer required?

Yes you definitely need your insurance in order to register and inspect your vehicle in PA. You do not, and are no longer issued the plate stickers anymore with your registration unless they already changed it back and made it law again.

I'm with you. I live in PA. Oh and in PA you can register for two years instead of one. When they had the plate stickers you couldn't as far as I know.
Yes, I was talking about the inspection sticker, and yes you can register your car, truck, or motorcycle for 2 years, ( trailers are 5 years max) without any discount. You would think they could give you at least a dollar off, but they want every penny they can get to increase the state police force. Where in Pa. do you live? I'm in NE, 15 miles from DWG off 80.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I'm in Carlisle. SC PA. Love this area. I almost retired to your area closer to Tobyhanna but changed my mind after finding out there was an influx of commuting NYers that moved in that area and pretty much ruined it. That was 8 years ago. Maybe things have changed. There are no NY commuters out this way.;)

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Our registration stickers here in Taxachusetts are located on the top right of the number plate,right next to the inspection sticker, and are also color coded with the current year printed on it to indicate that it is infact,registered for the current year! So they got ya comin and goin.After all,we wouldn't want our glorious State of Taxachusetts to go broke now,would we?? lol lol

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Isn't Taxachusetts where the Massholes are from? LOL. I am originally from NH. The state with the motto "Live Free or Get a Job!". I mean Die.;):poop:

That's AFFIRMATIVE.And we Massholes,lol, are right below that State which has that slogan "LIVE FREE or DIE" stamped on their number plates!!And I have been to just about every corner of N.H on my two wheelers over the years as they have some really nice roads and beautifull country,especially in the mountainous regions.Have you ever been to "Clarks' Trading Post" located on rte. 3 in the White Mountains,and seem the antique and original 1901 Indians that Mr. Clark has on display in it???It's pretty cool. Dave!!!

·
Registered
691 Posts
You know I went to Clark's trading post a lot as a kid to see the bears. As a matter of fact I think they changed the name now to Clark's Bears. I haven't seen the Indians yet maybe the next time I go to Laconia. I was there in 2017 for Laconia Bike week but went riding and seen family while I was there so I didn't get to stop at some of the attractions up there. Definitely beautiful up there in the white mountians. Used to go to White Lake SP all the time as a kid in the summer. Also check out the Covered bridges tour next time you are up.

Have you done the MT Washington ride yet. That is something to see as well.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Yup!! Been all over N.H. and enjoyed every minute of it,and will continue doing so til I'm dead,which according to my wife,won't be for,atleast, another 100 years,cause only the good die young.lol But,to really enjoy it,ya need to be on two wheels so you can see everything,unlike when you're in a four wheeler.I remember one time, while riding with a small group of bikes,coming off rte. 302 in Bartlett,N.H. and heading east onto Bear Notch Road, which takes you over the mountain and onto the Kancamungus Highway [rte.112] ,and stopping at the first over look where you can see rte. 302,[nice view] when suddenly, we had an unexpected tourist who came out of the woods from behind us and was headed straight for us,but did NOT look very friendly.I think he saw us as food.Anyways,I had to let two rounds go,firing em across his bow,in an attempt to scare him off,which ,thankfully,worked,and immediately after that little encounter,we all mounted up ,as quickly as possible,lol,and got otta dodge,just in case that tourist decided to come back. lol But this is just one of the many attractions you'll see in the mountainous regions of N.H..lol lol Dave!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts