Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have issue with stem valve n inner tube in spoked rim back tire going into rim if tire pressure to low am ridden on. Valve stem hole to big to support valve nut

·
Bronze member
2,869 Posts
All wheels that have a tube ,the valve stem will retract into the wheel with out air pressure to hold it into place.
I run tubes in my truck tires,that is very common.
I run very low air pressures for bad dirt roads and tubeless tires are prone to bead leaks.

·
Bronze member
2,335 Posts
Have someone on the other side of the bike push the stem against the side of the valve stem hole...this should cause enough friction to keep the air chuck from pushing the stem down into the wheel.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Valve stems I know are pulled into place on the wheel. Sounds like it needs to be reseated/ replaced if it cannot hold rim anymore. But I've never worked in a tire shop... Don't know much about inner tubes anyway, I assume the stems are similar.

·
Silver member
4,911 Posts
Anyone have issue with stem valve n inner tube in spoked rim back tire going into rim if tire pressure to low am ridden on. Valve stem hole to big to support valve nut
Didn’t they accidentally use a tube with an 8.3mm valve stem instead of 10mm? (They come in two sizes).

·
Bronze member
2,180 Posts
The front TR4 all metal valve stem comes with nut.
In the rear the valve stem hole is bigger and requires a TR15 valve stem ( rubber, no nut).

Low tire pressure leads to "tire slips/rotates on wheel" when torque is applied. Stem being pulled in is a natural consequence!

Sent from my SM-N976Q using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would suggest you check the tires a little more often. Check pressure when cold. Most years Chief Vintage needs 42 PSI in the rear. Don't let them get low. It is highly recommended to do a pre-ride inspection of the bike. I always keep a cheep tire gauge on the bike.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The only fix that would not allow this to happen is a "rim-lock" but those are commonly used on dirt bikes. I've never heard of their use on street bikes but I would assume the only issue one would have after installing them on a street bike would be a tire balancing issue ay high speed. I would recommend a true spin balance after installing one.

Attachments

·
Bronze member
2,584 Posts
Had a puncher on the rear While riding and the tyre spun Pulling the tube valve in, don’t think they make tyre clamps to fit this size of rim.
Always keep your pressure’s correct.

·
Bronze member
2,565 Posts
I had this happen to me out in the middle of Texas. I started losing air from my rear tire so every 5-10 miles of so I stopped and added air. One time I stopped and the valve stem was inside the rim. Nothing I could do then. I almost rolled into a chopper shop and they pulled the wheel, added a new tube with a threaded valve stem, added a nut to the outside of the valve stem and tightened it to the rim. Never has a problem since. The OEM tube and rim seem like a poor design.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My rear tire got damaged and had a slow leak. I neglected checking pressure one too many times, and had the valve stem disappear. Changed the tube out, and now I check the pressure every time I ride. Should do it anyway as part of pre-ride inspection.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,429 Posts
Years ago there used to be inner tubes with threaded valve stems so that two keeper nuts could be tightened against the rim and jammed to keep the stem from retreating back into the rim when there wasn't enough air pressure in the tube.

·
Bronze member
2,565 Posts
Years ago there used to be inner tubes with threaded valve stems so that two keeper nuts could be tightened against the rim and jammed to keep the stem from retreating back into the rim when there wasn't enough air pressure in the tube.
That's what I added to mine when it spun inside the rim.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts