Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

161 - 180 of 209 Posts

·
Senior member / gold
6,220 Posts
As of this post my Scout's Michelin Commander ll have16,200 miles and are not finished yet, as apposed to the OEM Kenda's which lasted 10,300 miles.
10,000 miles plus on my Conti Milestone front and still going strong with heaps of tread but I have replaced the rear already due to a too long a bolt problem on the back which left great chunks of rubber missing so I replaced it as a safety measure at my last service.
Alpal

·
Registered
188 Posts
I am considering getting Michelin Scorcher 32 for my Scout; has anyone had any experience with these?
K
I agree with Jay and Brian. After just 1200 miles or so, I tossed out the Kendas and put on Michelin Commanders. Felt the difference just pulling out of the dealer's lot. Drove about 100 miles on them the first day, and about another 5-600 more since. Absolutely love them, very noticeable difference in grip over the stock tires.

I live in Florida and the Kendas seemed okay at first and I didn't get what all the negative comments were about. Then I drove on two different roads that were still wet after rain. Wow, it was like rollerblading on butter.

I went back and forth between the Pirellis and Michelins. I've had Pirellis on cars and they've been great. Talked to a fellow very knowledgeable on bikes and tires, he explained that the P's were nice and sticky especially on dry ground, but not any better than other good tires in the rain. Reason being their tread pattern is designed for traction not water dispersal. The Michelin's he explained, have a tread pattern designed for water dispersal. Plus the M's last about double as long as the P's. Being that I live in a place with a lot of rain and no treacherous mountain curves to worry about, the Commanders were a no brainer.

Thanks again to Jay for pointing me towards the Michelins

Omar

·
Bronze member
2,356 Posts
I had several incidents in wet / inclement weather where my Scout ABS didn't handle as well as she should. This was long after the coating should have worn off the tires. Adjusting the rear shock took most of the teeth jarring out of the ride over bridge expansion joints and the like but did little for handling in wet weather. As Silverhorse said in a much earlier threat "Get the Kenda's off!". I did and 6,000 miles + later I only wish I'd done it sooner. Michelin Commander II's. Handle well on wet pavement in absolute downpours / tar snakes / rough road. After many years of riding I can tell you it was the tires - not the bike or my "riding style".

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,318 Posts
Just for the Record I found Pirelli Night Dragons on Sale and giving them a Shot .. But After 18,500 Great Miles on the Michelin Commander II's, they better be great or will be back to Michelin ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
2,356 Posts
Just for the Record I found Pirelli Night Dragons on Sale and giving them a Shot .. But After 18,500 Great Miles on the Michelin Commander II's, they better be great or will be back to Michelin ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd like to hear your opinion of the Night Dragons after a couple thousand miles - they were my second choice for replacing the OEM tires.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'd like to hear your opinion of the Night Dragons after a couple thousand miles - they were my second choice for replacing the OEM tires.
× 2 Jay.

I replaced my Michelin Comm. II for Night Dragons a few months ago. I haven't had a chance to try them in the rain because it has been a pretty dry summer and autumn in Melb. I personally think that overall Night Dragons grip better but I shall reserve judgment until I've ridden in the wet.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
on my hammer the night dragons transformed the handling, but of course the tradeoff for better traction is less wear. traction can save your life where as long wear saves a few $$

·
5,318 Posts
I replaced my Michelin Comm. II for Night Dragons a few months ago. I haven't had a chance to try them in the rain because it has been a pretty dry summer and autumn in Melb. I personally think that overall Night Dragons grip better but I shall reserve judgment until I've ridden in the wet.
Living in FL with the Rain we get should not take too long to give a Wet Report although for the Next Few Days when in Chiefland is supposed to be Gorgeous Weather and Hope it's Correct .. Either way will have a Preliminary Report after Chiefland even if just Dry Weather which actually hoping for at the Event ..

·
Registered
96 Posts
I just gave it a go with the Metzler 888 white walls. So far so good!

·
Registered
151 Posts
× 2 Jay.

I can't wait to hear the post rain ride report. I live in Alberta, Canada and we have a saying here... if you don't like the weather just give it a few minutes. Basically it can change dramatically on a moments notice. Last summer I rode through rain so violent it was coming across the highway sideways at me. In my truck that even freaks me out so on the Scout it was seriously scary. But I was already on a big curve on the highway as it blew in so I had to keep going. Needless to say I am looking forward to changing my tires out and I am leaning towards the night dragons. I just want to hear a bit more feedback and then I will order them. So keep posting some rain reports for me pls and thanks.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Okay, Melbourne had a massive downpour today and I took the Scout for a 30 min ride. My observation is that she was not as "twitchy" on the wet tar snakes and white lines. The Night Dragons seemed to be well planted especially after they warmed up, and I felt a lot more confident in the wet.

·
5,318 Posts
Like the Night Dragons so far , Ozello Trail Ride coming up today so will be able to say a bit more about them after the Ride ..

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
My observation is that she was not as "twitchy" on the wet tar snakes and white lines.
That's impressive, not least because your tyres are scrubbed in, and also because rain after such a long period would probably leave the roads greasy, and also because 'twitchy' on wet tar snakes and white lines perfectly describes my experience of the Commander 2s in the wet; they are better than the Kendas, but not as much as I'd hoped. The only thing is, I'd love grip plus whitewalls! Hmm. Decisions, decisions.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I just slid pretty badly in a puddle. Not sure if I hydroplaned or if the water made the concrete slippery. I've also experienced some traction issues on certain types of concrete. I'm asking experienced riders what they think of the scout tires. Are there better tires out there? Or is this something I have to accept as a part of riding?
I'm removing my stock Kenda tires from my 2016 Scout and replacing them with Dunlop Elites. I only have 7200 miles on the bike, so there is lots of tread on them. I have no faith in their wet road traction after an unplanned get off back in September. It cost me close to $1k to restore my bike. I've. been riding for over 50 years and have owned close to that many bikes during that period. I've ridden 154k miles just on the bikes I've owned since 04. My point is, that when my Scout spun a circle while entering an interstate on ramp on a wet road, I was totally shocked. I probably have over 100k miles on wet roads alone on all types of surfaces and all types of motorcycles. I've never had this experience on any other bikes. I'm guessing that the rubber on the Kendas that is too hard to be safe on wet roads.

·
5,318 Posts
I'm removing my stock Kenda tires from my 2016 Scout and replacing them with Dunlop Elites. I only have 7200 miles on the bike, so there is lots of tread on them. I have no faith in their wet road traction after an unplanned get off back in September. It cost me close to $1k to restore my bike. I've. been riding for over 50 years and have owned close to that many bikes during that period. I've ridden 154k miles just on the bikes I've owned since 04. My point is, that when my Scout spun a circle while entering an interstate on ramp on a wet road, I was totally shocked. I probably have over 100k miles on wet roads alone on all types of surfaces and all types of motorcycles. I've never had this experience on any other bikes. I'm guessing that the rubber on the Kendas that is too hard to be safe on wet roads.
Close to the same thing happened to me with the Kenda's .. Interstate Ramp slightly wet and slid ride into the grass with absolutely no control and I am far from a Noobie .. Had 4,000 Miles on the Kenda's at that time and it was their last ride except to the Indy from where I lost it, to replace them with Michelin Commander II's ..

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts
3,100 miles so far... won't use anything else. I'm a quality kind a guy, not quantity. I don't give a damn if they last less miles than Michelins. Chasing an FZ-09 through the hills on my Scout, and keeping up... I'm sold. Got some wear marks on the floorboards... the tires kept me safe. If you're into mileage, go with Michelins. If you're into performance, go with ND's...

·
5,318 Posts
Ran Ozello Trail with the Night Dragons and the Grip was Excellent .. Can't say all that much Greater then the Michelins but a Tad Better for Sure .. Will Reserve Judgement when Run the Mountains this Summer and Wet Roads before make my Final Call on which tire is Best for me .. I do Ride pretty Aggressive and while Ozello Trail has sharp Switchbacks, but Flat Elevation, is not the same when have different Cambers to work with only the Mountains can provide ..

161 - 180 of 209 Posts