Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

181 - 200 of 209 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts
Ran Ozello Trail with the Night Dragons and the Grip was Excellent .. Can't say all that much Greater then the Michelins but a Tad Better for Sure .. Will Reserve Judgement when Run the Mountains this Summer and Wet Roads before make my Final Call on which tire is Best for me .. I do Ride pretty Aggressive and while Ozello Trail has sharp Switchbacks, but Flat Elevation, is not the same when have different Cambers to work with only the Mountains can provide ..
Just ran the mountains last weekend. Two Scouts... mine with ND's was right with the FZ-09 in front of me. He'd occasionally get the better of me with the right kind of elevation change & sharp curve, but it was temporary. The Scout with Kenda's dropped behind. Wise choice... it's the ND's that give you the confidence to occasionally rub the floorboards (which are in tighter than the pegs)...

·
Rider
707 Posts
I have been thinking all along that the MCIIs will be on the bike. The grip versus life of tyres equation moved me that way.
Now I find myself leaning towards the Metzler ME888 white walls. I have seen some comments on here saying they are ok. Maybe not quite as good as MCIIs or NDs, but would they suit a non-aggressive rider who wants to feel confident in the wet?

Is there any better white walled tyre out there?

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I have been thinking all along that the MCIIs will be on the bike. The grip versus life of tyres equation moved me that way.
Now I find myself leaning towards the Metzler ME888 white walls. I have seen some comments on here saying they are ok. Maybe not quite as good as MCIIs or NDs, but would they suit a non-aggressive rider who wants to feel confident in the wet?

Is there any better white walled tyre out there?
I do ride quite hard, and have found the MC2s barely adequate in the wet, so I may yet sacrifice style for substance and try the NDs. However, I would like whitewalls too, and I am weighing up between the ME888s, the Contilegends (the new version of the Continental Milestones that Alpal recommends), and the Avon Cobras. Alpal's recommendation of the Continentals counts for a lot with me, but the ME888 tread pattern looks more efficient and similar to the Metzlers and the Michelins. If you jump first, let us know what you choose and how you find them in the wet!

·
Registered
955 Posts
my dealer (who is quite open in his opinion that Kendas in UK wet conditions tend to slide) fitted Metzeler whitewalls to the 69 demo bike. I guess they were ME888's, and he liked them a lot.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Well I have decided on the Night Dragons but when I had the dealer price them out it was WAY to much money. :( So did anyone find any good online deals lately on them?

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts
Well I have decided on the Night Dragons but when I had the dealer price them out it was WAY to much money. :( So did anyone find any good online deals lately on them?
Bought them online from Cycle Gear... because they could deliver sooner than a lot of tiny online dealers...

·
Registered
218 Posts
What price did they quote if you don't mind me asking? I'm also consider ND based on what I've read in this forum + my riding style. Thanks.

·
Rider
707 Posts
I do ride quite hard, and have found the MC2s barely adequate in the wet, so I may yet sacrifice style for substance and try the NDs. However, I would like whitewalls too, and I am weighing up between the ME888s, the Contilegends (the new version of the Continental Milestones that Alpal recommends), and the Avon Cobras. Alpal's recommendation of the Continentals counts for a lot with me, but the ME888 tread pattern looks more efficient and similar to the Metzlers and the Michelins. If you jump first, let us know what you choose and how you find them in the wet!
Sure - will do. And vice versa.
Thanks for the heads up on the new Contis.
If anyone else has gone the white walled route, please feel free to comment.

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,318 Posts
You don't have a Location Posted but this is what I found to be about average price for ND's .. My Indy did just a bit better with his connections, Can get the Mich Com II's for 50.00 Less .. This Price is Shipped to my Door ..

Pirelli Night Dragon Tire Combo | MotoSport

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Tires are very expensive; but not as expensive as repairing the bike - that's why I changed my tires (in my case it was to Michelin Commander 2s) in spite of the cost. Honestly, the tires are one of the most important investments you can make; you won't regret it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Oh I agree that tires are always worth the $$ to save your hide. I will order them I am just a grad student and work has been painfully slow (therefore reduced paycheques) so I am trying to figure out where to get the best deal. I think I may just end up buying them from the dealership. Never fear I shall find them and get them on I Am just not quite there yet. Have to figure out my budget for them.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Oh I agree that tires are always worth the $$ to save your hide. I will order them I am just a grad student and work has been painfully slow (therefore reduced paycheques) so I am trying to figure out where to get the best deal. I think I may just end up buying them from the dealership. Never fear I shall find them and get them on I Am just not quite there yet. Have to figure out my budget for them.
May you be blessed with all the work you need. It was saving for and running a motorcycle that taught me to budget when I was in my late teens; something that I've benefited from all my life since. I'm impressed with your attitude.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Is it me or do the nite dragons seem more susceptible to slipping on road tar fill lines"road snakes" even in the 60-70 degree temperate range ?:unsure:

·
Bronze member
2,356 Posts
My 2016 Scout's OEM tires were terrible on "tar snakes". I put on the Commander II's and never had the issue again. There are differences between the Micheleins and the Night Dragons. If you tour far you'll want the longer wearing CDR II's. If not the Dragons have a little better grip (according to users on this forum) but wear a little faster (softer rubber). Personally I liked the CDR II's so much that I went to Michelins on my Springfield - and I've traveled heavily on them. Bottom line is you must decide what kind of a rider you are and what kind of riding you will do. After that the choice is easy. As to the "tar snakes"? Either tire use to be far superior to the stock tires which use to be Kenda's on the Scout. My understanding is this has changed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My 2016 Scout's OEM tires were terrible on "tar snakes". I put on the Commander II's and never had the issue again. There are differences between the Micheleins and the Night Dragons. If you tour far you'll want the longer wearing CDR II's. If not the Dragons have a little better grip (according to users on this forum) but wear a little faster (softer rubber). Personally I liked the CDR II's so much that I went to Michelins on my Springfield - and I've traveled heavily on them. Bottom line is you must decide what kind of a rider you are and what kind of riding you will do. After that the choice is easy. As to the "tar snakes"? Either tire use to be far superior to the stock tires which use to be Kenda's on the Scout. My understanding is this has changed.
Thanks for the information,! Think I'll go to the commander ll`s next! My bike was used 2018 and came with the dragons so don't have much experience with them.

·
Bronze member
2,356 Posts
My bike was used 2018 and came with the dragons so don't have much experience with them.
I was the first Indian owner to tour Route 66, end to end, Chicago to the Santa Monica Pier on a Scout and I did it on the Commander II's. You won't be disappointed.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,627 Posts
My 2019 Scout ABS came with the Pirelli Night Dragons. As of yet it's too early to tell how they will last. I changed my last three motorcycles to Michelin Commander II tires with very good results. Time will tell but so far the Pirellis really do have excellent traction and handling charateristics.

·
Bronze member
2,356 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
The new Commander III models now on the bike with about 100mi of mostly twisties under them. I cannot begin to express how much better every aspect of the ride is in comparison to the old stock tires (without writing an essay). Whereas the previous tires had me on edge constantly for tar snakes, the wet, and even too hard acceleration or braking, I have already determined I can rewire my brain with the CIIIs.
Combine that with the way it drops into the lean and this is simply another bike - very much improved, I tell you!

181 - 200 of 209 Posts