Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 212 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just slid pretty badly in a puddle. Not sure if I hydroplaned or if the water made the concrete slippery. I've also experienced some traction issues on certain types of concrete. I'm asking experienced riders what they think of the scout tires. Are there better tires out there? Or is this something I have to accept as a part of riding?

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Some folks have been putting on Michelin Commander II's and have better traction with them :)

·
flying down the road trying to loosen my load.
2,647 Posts
I just slid pretty badly in a puddle. Not sure if I hydroplaned or if the water made the concrete slippery. I've also experienced some traction issues on certain types of concrete. I'm asking experienced riders what they think of the scout tires. Are there better tires out there? Or is this something I have to accept as a part of riding?
:eek: My opinion of the Kenda's :confused: I need an emoticon for a twisted spine with bruised ribs. I now have a pair of Michelin Power Commander II's in the man cave that I will have installed when my suspension comes back from Traxxion Dynamics next week. Love my Scout but the quality cuts they made to hit a price point suck. I would have rather paid the extra monies upfront.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
There are definitely better tires. No doubt.

Me, I don't ride aggressively enough for it to matter. I commute, I putt a tour, and that is about it. 2k on these sneakers now; upcoming road trip to Minnesota will slap another 3k on them; so by mid-summer I'll be looking for tires, and those tires won't be Kendas. Till then, I'll just use them up.

Here is the key: Every motorcycle I've had since Al Gore invented the innerwebz, some forum or mailing list eventually sorts out the tire thing. Everyone else tries their faves from other bikes they owned previously, and then reports back. Eventually, it all sorts out. Couple bikes I owned, everyone recommended Metzler 88s, and they did give great service. Couple other bikes, everyone recommended Michelins, and they did grip well. One bike, the beemer brick, everyone recommended soft-sided Dunlops, and they did provide a way more comfy ride. Biffy Bullfrog, everyone said Kendas, and they do work great for the money. But these recommendations tend to be bike model specific. The Metzeler ME88 that ran super on my C and my CLC rode harsh on my K75. The grabby nature of the Avons that came with my R11R would have been futile on my CLC; but prolly would have suited my Honda 909. Metzelers on Biffy lasted fewer miles than do big block Kendas, with no better traction, and at a third of the price. My point is, which tire brand, and which line of tire that brand makes, are always specific to your bike model. This is a new bike model. No one really knows yet. We await a consensus. Some may have useful suggestions based on their previous bikes. Whether these work for a Scout awaits evaluation.

Check back in a couple years when plenty of riders have worn out plenty of tires. There will be a better notion then.

For now, if you are slipping on rain puddles, fever, then you have either got to tone it down or try what worked well for you on a bike with a similar role. For example, what worked on my GoldWing might not work on my Scout. What worked on the R11R might make more sense for me to try out.

There's also the where are you factor. Here in Dull-Aware, we can expect rain couple three days most every week. Gets muggy, here comes thunderstorms. So we don't get the oil build up like they have when it rains in SoCal or such. I don't see your location up there by your username; so I dunno what kinda slippery a rain brings where you live. Here in Dull-Aware, we also wear a flat spot down the center of our tires. If you don't leave state, you may be down to belts and still have your chicken strips. That's cause this is a flat sand bar. No twisties. We gotta trek to West by Gawd Virginia or Pennsyltucky or such not to find a bend in the road. The twistier your route, obviously, the more grip you need on the edges. What suits a guy riding behind a coal truck in Kentucky is not what suits a guy riding slab in Texas.

Rubber side down.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Certainly are better tires out there. They are the same size as the H-D Sportster 48 so choices are plentiful. Pirelli Night Dragon, Michelin Commander II and Metzeler ME888 seem to be the most popular choices. I've had no issues with the Kenda's so I'll keep them on until they need replacing. I'm leaning toward the 888's....

·
Registered
305 Posts
I just got the Scout and have already experienced 2 slips that almost put the bike down. One during the rain coming out of a stop sign and around a shorter than normal corner, not going fast just slipped out from underneath me. My wife and kids were behind me in the truck and luckily they didn't see the slip or my wife would have had a heart attack. The other was on regular dry pavement, just in a spot that was slick on the road. It has me questioning the tires on the bike as I've had that happen twice in the first week I've had the bike...

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
This topic has appeared in several threads since the Scout was released. I included my "negative" experience with the Kenda's in a review of my Scout (do a search if interested). Jay also did a review on the Kenda's. We both chose the Commander II's as replacements and they work. Agree with others here...Polaris built to a price and hedged on the OEM tires. I would have paid more for better tires and not having to go through the tire swap exercise. No offense to those that like their Kenda's.

·
Registered
305 Posts
This topic has appeared in several threads since the Scout was released. I included my "negative" experience with the Kenda's in a review of my Scout (do a search if interested). Jay also did a review on the Kenda's. We both chose the Commander II's as replacements and they work. Agree with others here...Polaris built to a price and hedged on the OEM tires. I would have paid more for better tires and not having to go through the tire swap exercise. No offense to those that like their Kenda's.
Did you replace both the front and back or just the back when you did the swap? Also, if you don't mind me asking a price point you paid for the swap? I'm really leaning this way on my 500 mile service appt coming up in early June.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Did you replace both the front and back or just the back when you did the swap? Also, if you don't mind me asking a price point you paid for the swap? I'm really leaning this way on my 500 mile service appt coming up in early June.
I don't remember the exact pricing (been too long ago at this point), but my dealer met the best price I was quoted by one of the big internet motorcycle supply houses. I always replace front and back tires at the same time (especially if changing tire models or brands) and did the change at the first service which saved a lot on labor.

·
Registered
694 Posts
i have had several slides also, on dry pavement. i have noticed i cant brake near as hard on the stock tires (using both front and rear) as i could with the road king (shinkos). of course the king was 200 lbs heavier which im sure factors in. the oem appear to me to be a much harder compound which concerns me for any twisties.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Couple rear slips for me too, but more due to my rear brake-stabbing than tire design. Learning curve.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I just got done speaking with my sales guy who informed me the tires supposedly have a slight film on them when they come from the factory that could be causing these slides we are having. He didn't say when the film will be warn off, but assured me the tires are better than they first appear. My slides have all happened before I hit 300 miles on the bike, anyone else get these at higher mileage?

·
Registered
891 Posts
I put on the Dunlop 's that are used on the sporter 1200 custom. They seem to be much better than the Kenda's in wet conditions. I have about 1300 miles on them , so I can't speak to the durability.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I just got done speaking with my sales guy who informed me the tires supposedly have a slight film on them when they come from the factory that could be causing these slides we are having. He didn't say when the film will be warn off, but assured me the tires are better than they first appear. My slides have all happened before I hit 300 miles on the bike, anyone else get these at higher mileage?
Oh, well, hell... YEAH! New tires and rain don't mix. Got to scrub off the glossy.

so, false alarm there.

·
Registered
694 Posts
yes, have had a couple between 700 and 800..........

·
Registered
748 Posts
Being an naked and sport touring rider. You really have to be careful on the Scout stock tires. There is not much grip if you try to push them. They are baloney skins. If i keep my scout the tire will be replaced in the fall.

The OEM tire do improve with some miles, but never get great.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I ordered Avon Cobras for mine but I'm radically changing tire and wheel sizes.
Hope they work better than the Cobras I put on my cross country. They were literally dangerous in the rain compared to the stock tires and the rear was completely out of round. Dealer swapped them for Metzelers which I was very happy with. I'm thinking ME888's on the Scout would be a good combo.

·
Registered
58 Posts
This is silly.

I can drag the pegs all the way through a corner-and I did the reduced reach thing to get more clearance.

I've been brake testing front and rear, both tires lock predictably.

Sticky? Not compared to a sport tire, but this isn't a sport bike and the tires aren't holding anyone back.

I'd suggest using the money to buy gas, and practice. If this is a first bike, and you are slipping on wet pavement, different tires are not going to save you-only practice, and what you are feeling is likely the bike and tires telling you to think.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Agree with AAD. Rode today in a torrential downpour and had no problem with the Kenda's through the twisties of upstate New York.

Not sure if it was the rate of downpour or my speed, but the rain hitting my face sure felt like being stung by a bunch of bees - is this normal for riding in the rain?

I love this bike just as it is. The only accessories/upgrades I have made are stage ones, extended seat, leather grips, and mirror extensions. I am happy with everything else the way it was born.

1 - 20 of 212 Posts