Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I fell in lust with the Vintage as soon as I stepped into the showroom. That leather... That chrome.... Those fenders.... Oh yah baby. When I sat on the bike I was almost flat footed but not quite. Does the reduced reach seat make that much of a difference? I know what the specs say but they also say the vintage has a 26" seat height. My current ride is a '02 Yamaha Vstar Silverado and it's seat specs at 28" but I'm flat footed and practically shaking hands with the ants on the ground. I'm 5' 6" and definitely getting a Vintage. I'm waiting to see the two tones in person. I'd like to hear from those that have the reduced reach seat so I can plan on ordering one or not. Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
When i rode on the demo days i sat on one with the reduced reach seat, definitely noticed a difference. I am 5'9, and it made the bike feel as cramped with my feet on the boards as my current ride, 06 vstar 650. Basically it scoots you forward more, which will get your legs closer to the front wheel, and when on the stand, your legs are against a narrower part of the seat as well, doesnt lower the seat height much, if at all, but changes the angle your legs have to be to clear the seat, which does help.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I have sat on my friend Brendas Chieftain and I am 5' 9" she also had the two in closer handlebars and they cramped me too much. Yes you will notice a difference in seat height, if you go to a demo days they will definitely have one there also the heated seat part would be nice when it gets cooler. I have a v star 1100 and it's definitely lower than a Chieftain or the Indian just throws your legs out wider. Jumping from a vstar 650 to an Indian 111 which is something like 1800+ ccs is a big jump in more ways than one. You will get used to it as I did, jumping from sportbike, which I still have and that's a bigger difference.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Glad to hear from some fellow Yamaha 650 riders. Indy, I think you hit the mark by stating the difference between a 650 and 1800 (wider bike) and derke made a good point about the reduced reach seat bringing the legs closer together. I feel I could ride the stock configuration ok but I would feel even better with both feet firmly planted. Thanks for the inputs.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Question. Does the reduced reach seat work with the passenger pylon? When doing the customizing section on the Indian website, It installs the reduced reach seat but removes the passenger pylon for solo riding.

·
Registered
9 Posts
yea, the one i had had the passenger seat and the tall quick release back rest on it as well. had the chromed speakers too, everything but a drivers back rest for addons from the factory.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'm getting the scout for my wife, who is vertically challenged like some of you on here. I was planning on getting her the 2 inch pull back bars and keeping the stock seat, figuring that will help keep her back straight up and down and not having to bend and reach for the handlebars. Hoping we won't need to get the reduced reach foot controls. She's not that short.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Neither was Brenda, I would say she's 5'5" and she has lower seat and 2" pullbacks

·
Registered
443 Posts
I'm 5'6" and bought a new Chieftain with the lower-heated seat. Took it out for a ride brfoe taking it home, that's where the problem began. I came to a stop sign and about smashed my private parts, smashed them against the front of the seat, not good. Switch out for new standard seat, much better. Indian needs to develope a lowering kit for us short legged guys.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I was contemplating getting the lowered-heated seat (for the heated functionality) when I was thinking about getting a Chieftain. I'm 6'2" so it's good thing I didnt go that route, but they didnt offer a normal heated seat at the time (they do now). That's why I'm probably going for the new Roadmaster. I kinda felt a little cramped on the Chieftain that I demo'd but figured highway pegs would solve that. Kinda defeats the purpose of having floorboards if us long legged folks need to upgrade to the highway pegs for comfort. Now, if Indian only offered adjustable driver floorboards?

·
Registered
731 Posts
I have the reduced reach heated seat on my Vintage. At 6' I did not need the reduced height. I did want to move forward a bit because I like a riding position where my feet are under me enough that I can easily lift my weight out of the saddle when necessary and I will also have the need for the heated function. I had a 5'8" rider sit on my bike to try out the fit and he had no trouble placing his feet flat on the ground.There is a lot of variation in inseam lengths among people of the same height so I don't know how much help this info really is.......You might consider that there are a number of good craftsman that will rework the OEM seat to exactly accommodate your needs and most will do it for less than the cost of a replacement seat. Then you can be sure the seat will meet your specific needs.

·
Registered
121 Posts
This is an old post, but I'm hoping that I can get more information on
craftsman that will rework the OEM seat to exactly accommodate your needs
. Can someone who has actually done this point me in the right direction?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts