Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Polaris announced their 3rd quarter earnings today. Indian is doing pretty well.

"Sales for theMotorcyclesdivision increased 28 percent to $63.3 million in the 2014 third quarter compared to the same period last year due to continued strong demand for the new Indian motorcycles. Consumer retail demand for Polaris motorcycles, driven by Indian Motorcycle retail sales, were up nearly 30 percent during the 2014 third quarter, while third quarter North American industry heavyweight cruiser and touring motorcycle retail sales were up low-single digits percent versus the 2013 third quarter. During the quarter, the Company added two new models to the 2015 Indian Motorcycle line-up with the addition of the Roadmaster[SUP]®[/SUP], a luxury touring motorcycle, and the return of the Scout[SUP]®[/SUP], one of motorcycling’s most famous and coveted mid-sized motorcycles. In addition, two-tone paint schemes were added for the three Indian Chief models introduced last year. Victory motorcycles retail sales in the 2014 third quarter were down mid-teens percent impacted by timing delays of shipments of the 2015 Victory Magnum, a new custom bagger, and the prior year’s tough comparison as Victory retail sales were up over 30 percent in the 2013 third quarter. Sales of Polaris motorcycles outside of North America were up over 80 percent in the third quarter of 2014 as compared to the year-ago period driven by strong demand for Indian motorcycles."

Polaris : Investor Relations : News Release

·
Founding member
1,763 Posts
I was wondering how well Indian Motorcycles would play outside of the States, being that they play so heavily on Native American imagery. I always wondered what they would think of the brand in India. It seems it still works. Good for Polaris.

·
Super Moderator
4,909 Posts
Patiently waiting for the HD faithful to respond "yeah, but the don't sell as many as HD does".

Wait for it.....you know it's coming!! LOL

·
Founding member / Distinguished
1,956 Posts
Interst in Indian down here in Australia is very healthy, with a high level of owner satisfaction. I feel the brand has a fantastic future IF the quality level remains high. Lots of people are prepared to pay for quality and it would be a tragedy if Polaris tried to inflate their bottom line by taking future short cuts. We want metal, not plastic

·
Founding member / Distinguished
1,956 Posts
Well yeah, But Indian doesn't sell as many t-shirts as H-D does.
The largest ownership of HD T-shirts are those who have never owned a motorcycle....

·
Registered
89 Posts
Japanese Owners:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Japanese Owners:rolleyes:

That's cool, I like all the Victories in the video. What's the impression in Japan about HD, Victory, and Indian compared to the big Japanese companies? I love my Hondas too, great engineering.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I listen to a podcast about vintage motorcycles and they were talking about how they pulled a CB350 or CB500 out of a swamp where it had sat for 6 years and they were able to get it running the same day. Practically bulletproof!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
638 Posts
Our family is from Finland and dad is 87. When I rode my new Chief Classic to his house he opened the door and a broad smile came across his face. "Indian, that is a good motorsikel" (pronounced like Burt Munro). Indian was well known even over there when he was growing up. When I left he said "That is a nice looking motorsikel."

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
In Japan and in Taiwan, the feeling towards HD and most probably Indian are the same. They are seen as a speciality item...and very VERY expensive. When I was in Taiwan two years ago, we went to the HD dealership. There were a few riders outside waiting for sun down. The laws in Taiwan say no two wheeled vehicles on the highways. This law was made because the majority of the population rides scooters and the Taiwanese government does not differentiate between a scooter and a motorcycle. They also have very strict noise laws. The riders tell me....they leave before sun up and then hang at the dealership all day (weekends) and ride home at night. This lets them look cool being close to their bikes while not getting in trouble with Johnny Law.

I talked to one guy who owned a Softtail. You can pick them up here for around $18K but they pay close to $30K there. The accessories are rediculously high as well but they do dress them up.
So as far as cool factor...I would believe the HD and Indian bikes are selling well over there but it will never be considered a main stream bike just due to cost and the legal aspect in their respective countries.

Semper Fi,
DrZ

·
Registered
89 Posts
That's cool, I like all the Victories in the video. What's the impression in Japan about HD, Victory, and Indian compared to the big Japanese companies? I love my Hondas too, great engineering.
Harley sells about 10,000 units each year in Japan. About 372,500 units of Over 251cc domestic bikes are made in 2013.
but most of my biker friends ride Harley. I am only one Indian owner among them.:rolleyes:

http://www.jama.or.jp/industry/two_wheeled/two_wheeled_1t1.html

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
The largest ownership of HD T-shirts are those who have never owned a motorcycle....
I never heard anyone say "Hey, let's stop and get a Yamaha t-shirt"

·
Super Moderator
4,909 Posts
Harley sells about 10,000 unit each year in Japan. About 372,500 unit of Over 251cc domestic bikes are made in 2013.
but most of my biker friends ride Harley. I am ony one Indian owner among them.:rolleyes:
Good for you buying an Indian and Welcome to the message board. Post some pictures of your bike when you can.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well yeah, But Indian doesn't sell as many t-shirts as H-D does.
the chances are it's the tee shirt sales keeping HD going.
I'm pleased to see Indian doing so well, and long may it continue. More Indian / Victory sales can only be good for HD owners, because it will make HD up their game.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Good for you buying an Indian and Welcome to the message board. Post some pictures of your bike when you can.
Please check my Blog with some picture of My Black Chieftain

·
Founding member
1,763 Posts
I actually have a Yamaha motorcycles tee shirt, lol.

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Kotakoko, your Chieftain looks sharp and thanks for the posting the videos

1 - 20 of 25 Posts