Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Bronze member
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Another 108PP bike is expected, the general comment about Indian eventually adopting watercooled engines across all models got my attention. With emissions and all I know that even the combustion engine as we know might go away or be radically different eventually in the distant future. Think they'll stop production of the air cooled 111/116 someday soon? 1-2 yrs, 3-5 or longer?

·
Bronze member
4,155 Posts
Another 108PP bike is expected, the general comment about Indian eventually adopting watercooled engines across all models got my attention. With emissions and all I know that even the combustion engine as we know might go away or be radically different eventually in the distant future. Think they'll stop production of the air cooled 111/116 someday soon? 1-2 yrs, 3-5 or longer?

The VVT on the 111/116 is to address the Emission on the air cooled engines. The water cooled bikes will be a separate line. The bottom line, literally will determine whether or not air cooled bikes stick around or not.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Liquid cooled Roadmaster? I think I’d be interested. That being said, I can’t think of any complaints on my 111 Roadmaster.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,233 Posts
Depends upon the EPA and Euro emissions regulations that are yet to come. At some point it may become necessary to drop all air cooled motorcycle engines but the exact timetable isn't exactly clear. I expect the 116 will become the only air cooled Indian engine in another year or two. The variable valve timing or VVT will buy that engine a little more time. At some point the mixtures will become so lean and hot running that air cooling will not be able to keep up.

·
Rider
1,591 Posts
Give the mother ship some time to iron out the kinks with these 108s and other potential larger displacement motors and I can see them trying to keep close to the original design of the 111 but liquid cooled. What ever course they take I am interested in seeing how it goes.

·
Rider
1,311 Posts

As soon as they can bike to market, the TS 111-116 will be history.

BD

·
Premium Member
877 Posts
Once you have the Government legislation changed to ban ICE then the change will be forced
Or we go after the Government to make sure that doesn't happen.

·
Bronze member
1,959 Posts

·
Bronze member
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think most of us work and will not be able to join the Air cooled Motorcycles Matter Protests.
I've been told I'm in a class by myself for a reason many of times

·
Bronze member
3,432 Posts
Sorry, I'm confused with the above.
ICE = Internal Combustion Engine... in this context at least... and yes it will happen the big question is will it be as radical as CA and 2030 or will they allow more time... and there will be carve outs... every bill has them.. there is absolutely no way they can change all vehicles over... from D-7 Dozers, to farm machinery... to just replacing all the powered vehicles on the highway today... our gas may cost us European prices which will speed things up... that's why they are perfectly content to have the next generation play X-Box in the basement

Reactions: THOR504

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,233 Posts
They haven't yet developed the beam transporter but they are working on it. High speed maglev transportation is not happening yet either as there is no political support due to oil & gas lobbying. In fact electric & hybrid vehicles are being actively lobbied against by big oil. Here in Ohio they've enacted a $400 fee to register an electric vehicle per year and a $250 fee on hybrids. That pretty much destroys the market for these vehicles, especially used ones.

·
Bronze member
4,155 Posts
They haven't yet developed the beam transporter but they are working on it. High speed maglev transportation is not happening yet either as there is no political support due to oil & gas lobbying. In fact electric & hybrid vehicles are being actively lobbied against by big oil. Here in Ohio they've enacted a $400 fee to register an electric vehicle per year and a $250 fee on hybrids. That pretty much destroys the market for these vehicles, especially used ones.
Yep and states are also taxing the electric and Hybrids at higher rates to recoup the fuel taxes that those vehicles don’t pay or pay little.

·
Rider
944 Posts
they will come up with an efficient self regenerating fuel cell and we will still have eternal combustion engines.

·
Bronze member
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
After re-reading the article again and looking at the drawings, I'm getting the feeling this is the next Chieftain or more likely the model to replace the Chieftain. I think Indian motorcycle company will shy away more and more from using any native American names for any upcoming bikes in the future. Which why the last two new models have been named FTR and Challenger and the Chieftain model name will be dropped maybe as soon as next year. Any takers?

·
Rider
858 Posts
I didn't mind water cooling when I had my Boulevard but **** me do they suck when you're at a stop light and the fan turns on and blasts you like you cranked up the furnace.
Haven't felt any heat from the fan yet. It's directed downward. I could use some relief from the sun at stop lights.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts